275/65/20 on Stock Wheels with Bilstein 5100 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
275/65/20 on Stock Wheels with Bilstein 5100

I need to know for sure before I head to the tire shop on Friday about fitment of these tires.Continental Terrain Contact AT 275/65/20.Tires are 34.1 inch tall X 11.0 inches wide.They will be mounted on the stock Platinum rims with Bilstein 5100's set on the top setting (2.25").The warranty will be void if there is any rubbing.My brain cavity is exploding with all the conflicting info on this website.Desperately want this tire to fit without major modifications.Thanks for any help.

2018 Super White Platinum CrewMax
Bilstein 5100 Top setting
Spidertrax 1.25" spacers
275/65/20 Continental Terrain Contact AT
GoRhino RB20 Running boards
Trifecta tonneau
VLEDS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I decided to try this size and if any issues I can drop down to 275/60/20.

Spidertrax 1.25" spacers
Trifecta tonneau
VLEDS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Garage
I had no rubbing at all with that size other than the skid plate until I swapped UCAs. Then I had to remove the mud flaps. I think you will be fine. Just bend the ears on the skid plate and remove the mud flaps before you go to the shop if you want to be pretty sure it wonít rub for warranty purposes. The key to rubbing or not is really dependent on your alignment it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
I had no rubbing at all with that size other than the skid plate until I swapped UCAs. Then I had to remove the mud flaps. I think you will be fine. Just bend the ears on the skid plate and remove the mud flaps before you go to the shop if you want to be pretty sure it wonít rub for warranty purposes. The key to rubbing or not is really dependent on your alignment it seems.

Tires are now on and they look great! Yes,some minor skid plate bending was all that was needed.

Spidertrax 1.25" spacers
Trifecta tonneau
VLEDS
The Following User Says Thank You to plumber802 For This Useful Post:
mrmachinist (07-19-2018)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 01:23 AM
#CJ

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Hey Plumber802,

I am considering doing a very similar thing to my truck. Can you share with me how the truck rides with the lifted front? I had a set of bilstein 5100s in a different vehicle and didn't feel as though they rode very smooth. I don't want to be getting beat up when I drive around, and Im not really an off roader. I just can't stand the rake.

2014 Toyota Tundra Magnetic Gray Metallic SR5 w/TRD Off-Road Package
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #CJ View Post
Hey Plumber802,

I am considering doing a very similar thing to my truck. Can you share with me how the truck rides with the lifted front? I had a set of bilstein 5100s in a different vehicle and didn't feel as though they rode very smooth. I don't want to be getting beat up when I drive around, and Im not really an off roader. I just can't stand the rake.
I was worried about having a stiff ride as well between the larger size/E rated tires and Bilsteins.Happy to report that the truck actually rides better now.It doesn't feel as mushy and wallowiy.The tires fill in the wheel wells perfectly and are as quiet as the stock Bridgestones.Even the wifey likes the new look.

Spidertrax 1.25" spacers
Trifecta tonneau
VLEDS
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 05:19 PM
#CJ

Garage
Man, that is awesome. My wife actually has encouraged me to get the truck leveled. She actually is bothered by the rake as well. Im a bit shocked to be honest. Ha.

Thanks for the reply. This eases my worried mind. I didn't want to screw up this truck. Ive made that mistake before.

CJ

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:04 PM

Garage
I did 5100ís on my Chevy and loved them and was planning on running them on the tundra until I found out about the 6112ís. I love the 6112/5100 combo. I put 5100ís on my wifeís sequoia on the bottom setting and she loves the way it rides and drives. Way better than the factory junk.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM
#CJ

Garage
I will look into the 6112s as well in that case. I will be running them to gain the couple inches needed to make the truck sit even with the back end, so Im guessing it won't be on the lowest setting. Don't those adjustable shocks all ride a bit rougher with each setting that you go up? (not sure that sentence is understandable, but I can't figure out a better way to say it)

And my truck has 70k miles on it, so I may go ahead and swap out the rear shocks as well. Seems as though the 5100s are pretty popular for the rear. Is that an accurate statement? I will never be off-roading other than jumping a few curbs if necessary.

CJ

Last edited by #CJ; 07-23-2018 at 11:08 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
I will look into the 6112s as well in that case. I will be running them to gain the couple inches needed to make the truck sit even with the back end, so Im guessing it won't be on the lowest setting. Don't those adjustable shocks all ride a bit rougher with each setting that you go up? (not sure that sentence is understandable, but I can't figure out a better way to say it)

And my truck has 70k miles on it, so I may go ahead and swap out the rear shocks as well. Seems as though the 5100s are pretty popular for the rear. Is that an accurate statement? I will never be off-roading other than jumping a few curbs if necessary.

CJ

If thatís the case Iíd go 5100ís unless you are fine with more than doubling your cost. I use my truck to tow, daily drive, some deer lease off roading, so I went with the stronger 6112. Just street driving, go with 5100ís.

They will ride rougher the higher you set them due to spring preload. A way around that is to go to a lower setting and use strut shins from coachbuilder to make the difference up. 5100ís on the bottom with 2 shims will be close to the same height without the added spring preload.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:15 PM
#CJ

Garage
Aaahhh. Thank you. Yeah the last thing i want to do is make the ride any rougher. My last truck was a RAM, and it rode like a dream. The rest of it was junk of course, but the ride was smooth as silk. I know that the Tundra won't ever feel like that, but I don't want to make it any worse for sure. So I will google the coach builder shims and get that going.

So just to make sure here.. there isn't any noticeable difference in the ride quality between the 5100s and the 6112s? And would you recommend that I go ahead and swap the rear shocks for the 5100s as well for a better ride?

Thank you for sharing your experience. I don't know a single person with a Tundra that isn't bone stock. Makes it more difficult to ask questions.

CJ

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Aaahhh. Thank you. Yeah the last thing i want to do is make the ride any rougher. My last truck was a RAM, and it rode like a dream. The rest of it was junk of course, but the ride was smooth as silk. I know that the Tundra won't ever feel like that, but I don't want to make it any worse for sure. So I will google the coach builder shims and get that going.

So just to make sure here.. there isn't any noticeable difference in the ride quality between the 5100s and the 6112s? And would you recommend that I go ahead and swap the rear shocks for the 5100s as well for a better ride?

Thank you for sharing your experience. I don't know a single person with a Tundra that isn't bone stock. Makes it more difficult to ask questions.

CJ

I think the 6112ís ride smoother on rough roads. Maybe feel the small imperfections in the road more than the 5100s. I know it sounds contradicting but I think itís in the way they are valved. If you read opinions on here, some people thinks both are too stiff.

I donít think you will be disappointed with either option especially if you stay at a lower setting with shims.

The stock shocks were too soft to me and allowed the truck to bounce and feel out of control on bumps.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:28 PM
#CJ

Garage
You are right. That is a bit confusing. Haha. Its really though to understand the difference between to shaky due to soft shocks, or too shaky due to a shock that is too stiff. I will just roll the dice and hope for the best I guess. What a struggle. Ha.

Thank you again for trying to help out! Much appreciated.

CJ

The Following User Says Thank You to #CJ For This Useful Post:
mrmachinist (07-25-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in