Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Nitto Terra Grapplers or Ridge Grapper

22K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  James.LOA 
#1 ·
The time has come for me to replace my stock BF KO2 tires. I have a chance to pick up a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers for $700 or a set of Ridge Grapplers got $1,100. Both are going to be 275/65R20.
The question is, how good are the Terra Grapplers? How is the noise road compared to the KO2?
I was originally sold on the Ridge Grappler but for $400 less the Terra Grapplers are hard to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I ran the Terras on my wife's AWD Yukon. Wasn't impressed with them. Only got about ⅝ of the mileage they claimed. Road noise wasn't an issue. Traction was decent.
I'm thinking of going ahead and re-shoeing my '18 because it will be years before I wear them out(about 4k miles a year)and I need an agressive tire now. I was looking at the trail grappler. Hard for me to pass up the Wrangler duratrac MTs that served me so well though.

#3 ·
I just replaced a set of KO2’s with Terra Grappler G2s. New Terra’s are very quite on the road. I have noticed a slide rumble out of them during hard braking but otherwise they’re quite. My KO2’s were quite when they were new. Got louder as they wore. Time will tell on the Terra’s.

#4 ·
On wet pavement the Terra Grapplers are horrible, literally like driving on ice. After running them two different times I would never put those on a truck again. On the other hand the Ridge Grapplers have great characteristics on all on and off road conditions.

Reactions: Comfort
#5 ·
Hmmmm.

I've got the "stock" Terras on my 2017 and haven't noticed any wet problems with them. My neighborhood features a downhill double off camber set of corners (think "corkscrew" at Laguna Seca race track) that it has never even hinted at wanting to slide.

#8 ·
Subscribing.I have been considering that exact size tire in the Terra Grap.Too much noise is a deal killer.

#10 ·
I have the 275/70/18 Ridge Graps. So far so good. Quiet and never an issue in rain. Many compliments on how they look. Used a wheel spacer to make em stick out a touch. I wanted a more aggressive look to feel good driving to the grocery store ha.

Attachments

#15 ·
Next month will be 2 years on my Terra Grappler G2's. I run the 275/70/18 and it rains a lot here in Fl.

Reactions: flyinhi1
#17 ·
I have 285/55-20 Load Range E Terra Grapplers. Put down another vote for terrible wet weather traction. They have a little more noise over the stockers but not bad. The wear has been great though. I'm 3 years in they hardly look worn. Snow traction is decent though if I have weight in the back.

#18 ·
Is this with the G2 Grapps? What are you experincing as far as loss of traction? Off the line or cornering hard? Just wanting to know since I just put these on and haven't seen anything weird with them in wet conditions, however mine are still like new. Just wondering what to watch out for:eek:

#19 ·
It's usually off the line or taking an intersection turn. I haven't experienced anything while traveling on the roads or highways. This is my daily driver so I do frequently have an empty bed. The issue lessens with weight in the back. I think I'm pretty average for driving - not a slow poke but not a maniac.

#20 ·
Your profile doesn't show your location but have you looked at the Exo Grapplers?

I'm running those and they are far superior to any of the tires mentioned above for winter traction and are great on the dirt as well. Not as noisy as the overrated BFGs but definitely are louder than say a Toyo AT2 or Toyo MTs (my favorite tire).

#24 ·
Hey Blenton,

I have ran 2 sets of the BFGs and both got 80k miles on both of them (could have went a lot more, but they get pretty rough and loud at that point). One set on an Armada, and one set on a RAM. I had a buddy that got half that, and we decided that its simply a matter of keeping them rotated religiously at every 5k miles. It really is the best tire Ive ever ran. Rides really close to a highway tire, and is almost as quiet. Also handles the rain amazingly. I can't say anything about snow or ice because I drive 2wd and don't get out in the elements. I know that the BFGs are priced pretty dang high, but i bet when you do the math against most other tires (assuming you drive them till they are toast) then they probably end up being cheaper.

Not trying to be disagreeable with you. Just figured I would share my first hand experience in case it might help someone out. I know jack about pretty much every other tire out there. So my advice stops here. :)

CJ

#26 ·
Were those KO2's? Or KO's? I was looking at the new BFG AT KO2 tires, which were the ones with poor wear characteristics. The older KO's had loads of reports - both from the internet as well as friends and neighbors of mine - of making 60k miles easy.

I would also absolutely agree that good tire maintenance can make the difference between 30k and 50k miles on the same set of tires. As does driving style and vehicle type/weight. Pretty much everybody I know with an HD pickup that gets used for anything other than driving to church on Sunday has to put new tires on every 25-30k, no matter the brand and mileage warranty.

I'm not trying to be the BFG AT KO2 guru, either - just sharing what I've learned about them without having owned them. Thanks for your input.

#27 ·
Mine were the KO2s. I should have specified. Maybe I just got lucky with mine. Just figured I would speak up since its one of the very few things that I have experience with. Other than the price, my friends that have owned them, loved them as well. I also don't really have a basis for comparison. Ive either run highway tires, or the BFG KO2s. I was just happily surprised with them because I had heard that All terrain tires ride so much rougher and are so loud. So when I swapped, I was pretty blown away. They certainly get louder and rougher when they get up in the 70k range.

CJ

#28 ·
Im also thinking about changing to a different tire because I would actually like something a bit less aggressive looking than the KO2. Currently trying to get some ideas (which is how I came across this thread). Ive seen some options out there that are nearly half the price of the KO2s. Thats a huge difference in price, so it really changes the game for me. I wish there was a place that you could just try out different tires for a week and see how they feel and sound. That would be just amazing.

#29 ·
Just be cautious as some of the cheap tires are not round and true. They will cause way more problems than saving a few dollars are worth. Stick with a good name brand tire from a reputable dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Thank you. I actually figured there was some sort of regulation regarding tires that would keep everything somewhat comparable. I should never assume anything I guess. I will definitely stick to a name brand. I do always get my tires at a place like discount tire, just because they do the whole free rotations for life thing (which adds up quickly with an All Terrain tire).

I appreciate the advice!

CJ

#31 ·
The terra's on the 4Runner were decent, but like many they slipped a lot on wet when starting from a stop. The traction control comes on all the time in the wet with 45k miles.
It s time to lace up the Tundra, it has the sc so I'd like something with good start off traction when wet. Do we really think the Ridge G's will be significantly better?
The truck has the Michelin AT's, will the TG or RG's have more on road traction than the Michelins?

Such a big investment while taking a leap in faith, wow.

#32 ·
Trail grapplers are an offroad style tire. They will not outperform the Michelins on the street. I can't speak to the ridge grapplers yet, I intend to try them. I have run trail grapplers on a previous truck. Wet, snow , or ice are not conditions I enjoyed running them in. They were great coming in and out of muddy fields though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#48 ·
I am coming out of the Terra Grappler G2s. How is the wet traction on the Ridge Grapplers? I am in rainy Florida..lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.