User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best highway/snow tire

Im looking for a tire that has a good balance between highway and snow. My truck does not go off road and im not against AT tires but I have not gotten the best tread life out of tires. Is there such a tire with a highway/snow balance.

I also kicked around the idea of dedicated snow tires but figure by the time I constantly remount the tires or buy new wheels its not worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I had good results with Good Year Wrangler Duratracs. One of the better snow performing tires I have had. They also had a soft ride on the highway. I have also used Toyo AT2s on my work truck and had no issues in the snow. I am currently running BFG Ko2's on my Tundra and they do great in the snow but tend to spin when when pulling out from a stop when it rains. I have mostly read mixed reviews on Ko2s tread life but I have only had them for about 7,000 miles so still too early to comment.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have the Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus because I travel some fire roads in Maine, but the WRG are a winter oriented highway tire.
Below is the link to both tires. Both of these tires are more highway oriented that most AT tires that are recommended for snow.
https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/su...weather-tires/

Another option would be the Michelin defender LTX. A highway oriented tire with great treadlife but should be good in normal snowy conditions.

TheHangingJudge
_________
2008 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax TRD LTD/Leer Topper/5100's all 4 corners w/front set to middle/275/70/18 Rotiiva AT Plus

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:20 PM

Thanked 2,937 Times in 1,815 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Steel wheels are cheap. get some and put snow tires on them. Any good snow tire won't run many miles before wearing out
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I had good experience with Nitto G2's. Great on the highway, Snow, Mud and dirt.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Get steel or some stock 18's off someone and buy some dedicated snow tires.

If your roads are like ours, Ice is the real killer. AT tires have sipping for it, but are too hard of a compound to effectively handle ice like a dedicated snow tire.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpbst3 View Post
Im looking for a tire that has a good balance between highway and snow. My truck does not go off road and im not against AT tires but I have not gotten the best tread life out of tires. Is there such a tire with a highway/snow balance.

I also kicked around the idea of dedicated snow tires but figure by the time I constantly remount the tires or buy new wheels its not worth it.
There have been some solid suggestions from members. Another good tire for you to review is the Yokohama Geolandar GO15. I happen to have this tire in the LT version on my Toyota FJ Cruiser. I've had them for about a year and a half and am still amazed how smooth and quiet they are. They also have the snowflake designation on the sidewall which means they are rated for severe winter conditions.

I have also been very impressed with their off-road traction.

Here is a link to them on our web site:

Yokohama Geolandat GO15 | Discount Tire Direct

Please let us know if we can be of assistance.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I was looking into a set of wheels for snow tires and never thought about the TPMS sensors. Another $200 !!!! I found some wheels at $150 and with tires and sensors im looking at $1500. I just cant justify that kind of money right now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:34 PM

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,431 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Just leave the TPMS sensors out of the winter set.
You're running 2 sets of tires, so theoretically you'll get more mileage out of them instead of running 1 set year round.

Can't put a price on safety.
I run the Duratracs but ice is what worries me most, so next set if not sooner I'm planning to run 2 sets because of this.

Crewmax LTD/RB10/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/5100's/Ride Rites/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoat View Post
Just leave the TPMS sensors out of the winter set.
You're running 2 sets of tires, so theoretically you'll get more mileage out of them instead of running 1 set year round.
Are there any issues leaving out the TPMS? Does it have any link to the traction control or ABS?

I know I will have a light on the dash but will I also have to clear the main display everytime I start the truck?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:22 PM

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,431 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Its fine, you'll just have to live with the light on until you swap your summer tires back on.
I do this with the wife's Sienna.

Crewmax LTD/RB10/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/5100's/Ride Rites/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Another good year around tire option is the Bridgesone Dueler AT RHS . Brigdestone makes a number of different tread patterns in the Dueler including the lighter duty HT "highway tread" version. I have used a number of different tread patterns over the years and so far the AT / RHS is the one I like the best for year around use in our Wisconsin winters. They are made with a rubber compound that stays soft enough in the cold weather to still have traction but can still easily get 60,000 miles plus with them and probably a lot more but I like to stick with a decent amount of tread when I go into winter so that is about as far as I run them. I have seen others that look good and have good life but they get to hard in the cold weather become like hard plastic on slick ice. These tires also have very minimal road noise for an AT style tire.

Some Tundras come new with the HT version of this but I was told by a Bridgstone distributor up here that the one's that are used on the factory trucks are actually made with a slightly different rubber compound as the replacement ones and do not have quite as good of life as the replacement versions. I do know that in my experience my factory tires lasted only 40,000 compared to the 60,000 mile plus I have gotten with my replacement ones.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hankook rf10 is the best all season snow tire I've ever run. They are really great tires and will last over 50,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in