LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
TRD Forged - light vs dark?

All:

I've been searching out some TRD forged wheels, and I've noticed two distinct colorations on the center section. There's a light silver and a darker silver.

When did the change occur? Is there a reason to pick one set over another?

I've heard about the "clicking" issue with TRD forged wheels - is this a solved problem? Is one coloration more prone to the clicking than others?

Thanks in advance!

derp

2014 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4x4
SR5 Upgrade and TRD Offroad
Silver Sky over Graphite
DeMello Offroad Rock Crushers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by derp View Post
All:

I've been searching out some TRD forged wheels, and I've noticed two distinct colorations on the center section. There's a light silver and a darker silver.

When did the change occur? Is there a reason to pick one set over another?

I've heard about the "clicking" issue with TRD forged wheels - is this a solved problem? Is one coloration more prone to the clicking than others?

Thanks in advance!

derp
Not sure about the color change on the center caps. Are they used wheels you're looking at? And I'm assuming you mean rock warrior wheels? Those center caps are prone to corrosion so you could be seeing wheels where someone bought new center caps. And as far as the clicking goes; I'm pretty sure I've read a bunch of threads now that state that the clicking is from the lug nuts, not the wheels themselves.

2012 RW DC. ADS Coilovers and Piggybacks, MCM Fab UCA's, CB +3ís, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, full audio system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to GR8White For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (04-16-2017)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8White View Post
Not sure about the color change on the center caps. Are they used wheels you're looking at? And I'm assuming you mean rock warrior wheels? Those center caps are prone to corrosion so you could be seeing wheels where someone bought new center caps. And as far as the clicking goes; I'm pretty sure I've read a bunch of threads now that state that the clicking is from the lug nuts, not the wheels themselves.
Yes, Rock Warrior wheels. So pretty, so strong, so light. I've been lurking on craigslist for a nice set at a decent price, and found a couple that look pretty different.

Not so much the center caps as the center section - the split spokes and whatnot. Let me see if I can attach a couple pics...

Begging pardon of craigslist posters... Not my pics, but in the public domain.

I don't think it's just the lighting. One set looks like the center sections - behind the fake beadlock - looks darker than the other. Or am I just crazy?

derp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light-centers.jpg (39.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg dark-centers.jpg (45.8 KB, 73 views)

Silver Sky over Graphite

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Garage
That definitely does look strange... maybe it's the lighting or the angle but the darker is what I've seen most. I do know there are 2 generations of the fake beadlock ring. The 2nd gen apparently has small grooves in the back of the ring to let water out

2012 RW DC. ADS Coilovers and Piggybacks, MCM Fab UCA's, CB +3ís, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, full audio system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:15 PM

Thanked 10,716 Times in 5,789 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
I will complicate this issue.

The TRD wheels were only one color. They all matched. However the center caps quickly go to hell, and fade.

BUT, there were a knockoff out there for a while in 17" and 20". Can't find them anymore.

They should be darker in color. As long as the lighter colored ones are real, then it is just crappy lighting. Unless they faded really bad.

Yes, there were 2 versions, one had drain grooves machined in the inner hub area. Those are the newer version. But, I had 3 of the newer, and one of the older that replaced a set I had that were damaged. All were ordered at the same time, and all matched color wise.

The clicking... Well, no one really ever figured it out. But antiseize stops the clicking for a while.

After the clicking rears it's head you will see a distinct mark along the hub area of the wheel where it looks like the wheel flexes. I did not have this issue till my wheels were replaced with the 3/1 groove combo.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
GR8White (04-17-2017)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the great info guys.

So with all the issues with the TRD forged Rock Warrior wheels, are they worth having? Worth taking a risk on a used set?

derp

Silver Sky over Graphite
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Thanked 10,716 Times in 5,789 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derp View Post
Thanks for the great info guys.

So with all the issues with the TRD forged Rock Warrior wheels, are they worth having? Worth taking a risk on a used set?

derp
I would say yes.

I still like them. I wouldn't mind a set for my current truck over the 20"s that it came with.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in