Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Load range D vs E

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jaj23 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked before, but here it goes. Looking at 35x12.50x17 for my rock warrior and notice some tires like the bfg km2 are load range D instead of E. Will this make a big difference?

#2 ·
Depends on what you are using the truck for. Load range E has increased capacity for heavy loads and towing. You get a much heavier tire that usually has a few more plys. This all leads to a much harsher ride. If you do not tow or care about the increased capacities then go with Load range D's. The ride will be better and more efficient. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
For your use, you could even use P-rated tires without an issue.

#7 ·
For those that take their trucks off-road, in the west, a load range E is more durable and better in rocky terrain. 10 ply tires are good insurance against flat tires from rock punctures. The difference between D and E is like a running shoe or trail shoe vs. a hiking boot. Load range C (P rated for that matter) is like wearing a moccasin, you will experience a sidewall tear or a puncture flat. In NV, I have driven across the entire state on dirt roads and 2-track, west to east, on E range tires with no trouble. NV is over 80% public land. I do carry a second spare though. On an E load range tire you will notice a firmer ride for about a week and then forget about it. it is a truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.