Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Wheel and Tire Top Choices

4K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  rruff 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been doing quite a bit of research on a small list of wheels and tires I am interested in for my magnetic gray 2012 rock warrior. I have been reading about all the positives and negatives of the tires I have to pick from, so I'd like some more assistance narrowing it down. I'm running a 3/1 pro comp level with future plans for a 3'' lift. I know for sure I want black wheels, with a deep lip offset, 5 spoke preferred, 20'', on 35's, and wide, 10+ inch tire. Here's what I have:

Tires
Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x20
Nitto Terra Grappler 325/60x20
Toyo Open Country AT2 325/60x20
Falken Wild Peak AT 325/60x20

Wheels (all 20x12 @ -44 offset)
Fuel Octane Deep Matte Black D509
Fuel Driller Black D256
Fuel One Piece Hostage D531

My major concerns are comfort of ride & quietness first then dry/wet/dirt performance. I like the more aggressive looking tires like everyone else, but I am willing to forgo looks for comfort and quietness. A mix of both is preferred. Thanks to all!

See less See more
#2 ·
Currently running falken rocky mountain's(wild peak) in a 305/55. They have worked well for me(towing, hauling, 100-200 miles a day). We have had plenty of rain the last couple weeks so I got to test them in wet conditions finally(I live in the desert) and I give them a solid 7 out of 10. They handle well, balance fine, and look good. They are very quiet and the price is low. The downside is that they will become tread locked when they are around 50%. I was thinking about getting these again because of price, but in a 35x12.50x20. Then I found toyo at2 extreme in a 295/65r20 for the same price. So when the time comes, I'm going to try the toyo's. I think they look better and most likely will outperform the falkens, especially during the last 50% of their tread life.

Good luck

#4 ·
...I give them a solid 7 out of 10. They handle well, balance fine, and look good. They are very quiet and the price is low. The downside is that they will become tread locked when they are around 50%....
Can you explain what you mean by tread locked? What about comfort and noise from inside the cabin? Thanks for the input.

#3 ·
go with XD Monsters on Goodyear duratracs, anything else is a compromise!

#5 ·
Those weren't on my list, but I will consider after I take a look. Tell me why you like them so much? What makes them better for you than any others?

#11 ·
I'm in az too lol. I meant get the falkens if you get a great deal on them. When I was shopping for 305/55r20's they were a little cheaper than nitto or toyo and I needed cheap because I got wheels and a bunch of other mods.

Now I'm looking at 35's, and the 35x12.50x20 falkens are around 340 each. The 295/65r20 (35.10x11.8) toyo at's are $301 each, so it's a no brainer for me.

#12 ·
I follow you now. Ya, all of these tires are stupid expensive. The Toyo's and Grapplers are all averaging around $400 a tire for 35's. That will probably push me towards the Falken's unless I can get a screaming good deal on one of the more aggressive looking sets.

So, what about wheels? Which would you pick?

#13 ·
This post has been deleted
#18 ·
Based on what I've seen the Open Country AT2's are much like the Trail Grapplers, which means they do not have the comfort or noise level I want.

Gents, I'm going with Falken Wild Peak AT 325/60x20's and Fuel Driller 20x12's. Now it's time to price shop!! Any good prices you can point me toward would be appreciated.

#19 · (Edited)
I searched online for a while for wheel/tire combo pricing. In the end I found an awesome deal on eBay. I went down to my local discount tire, showed them the ad on my phone, and the manager beat the price. (With mount, balance, road hazard warranty, and TPMS sensors it was just a few bucks more)

I have bought several wheel and tire combos from discount. Great prices, friendly staff, windows to watch your truck when they work on it. My local shop is great.

-don't forget discount sells the falken "rocky mountain", which is identical to the wild peak. They are slightly cheaper than the wild peaks. (Like $5-10 less per tire or something)

Good luck, mine have been great so far

#22 ·
Really? That's it? Guess I'll do search for both and see what I can find!

#23 ·
Did this thread just die or what??? I'm looking at the Fuel Drillers but can only find one member with pictures... Did you ever install them?

#24 ·
NVM. Ancient post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.