Clear fillm on a TRD PRO - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymick32 View Post
Finally broke down and got a TRD PRO over the weekend. This is my first Tundra, coming from a 07 Silverado. My first concern is the paint. My Silverado was black with a painted bumper and it was destroyed in a few months. Has anyone done the clear film on the front? What is the best option here without breaking the bank?

Another way to go is to go with a ceramic coating. The hard ceramic coating should protect your paint from minor nicks. There's several different manufacturers that make ceramic coatings, so do some research first if you look to go that route. Another benefit of the ceramic coatings are how much it makes your paint hydrophobic. Water literally rolls off, car stays nearly dry even after a heavy rain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crewmax808 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmax808 View Post
Another way to go is to go with a ceramic coating. The hard ceramic coating should protect your paint from minor nicks. There's several different manufacturers that make ceramic coatings, so do some research first if you look to go that route. Another benefit of the ceramic coatings are how much it makes your paint hydrophobic. Water literally rolls off, car stays nearly dry even after a heavy rain.
Yes that is correct! We have a local detailer who uses C Quartz Finest coating and it is to my knowledge the closest thing you can get to doing film. You can actually feel how thick it is. Amazing stuff!

RJ

-16 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax -Magnetic Grey
The Following User Says Thank You to rjs1022 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-14-2017)
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesToy View Post
I know it's not a "Pro", but the Platinum has a lot of painted surface as well. I had the whole front (front bumper, hood bulge, front 12" of the hood, front part of the fenders and headlight surrounds) covered with XPEL PPF. It covers so clear it is hard to see and protects against road rash/gravel and bugs. I use a tooth pick to clean the wax from the rear edges and use their cleaner/conditioner monthly. Had it on my '14 Silverado and it held up well, so I had it installed on the Tundra. Very impressed.
Xpel is good stuff...I have had it on my last two trucks including my Tundra. I have the headlights, foglights and every painted surface on the front end of my truck done.

The key to keeping to from yellowing, like CT said above, is to keep it conditioned and clean.

They have a pretty cool display where I get mine installed. A painted black piece of sheet metal with film sitting on a hot plate with a wire brush next to it. You can literally scratch the crap out of the thing and once the heat is applied the scratches just fade away and disappear.

As thin and crappy as the new paints manufactures have to use now I wouldn't own a painted front bumper/end without this stuff.

2016 4X4 LTD Crewmax
The Following User Says Thank You to Newm For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-14-2017)

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Had the Expel paint protection applied to my new 17 TRD Pro this week. Buddy of mine had his Boss 302 done last summer and it is amazing how well this stuff worked at preventing rock chips, tar, and bird crap from ruining the paint finish. I had the entire front end, too include the headlights and rear view mirrors, covered. Came out amazing! I plan on keeping this truck for at least 10 years so I wanted it to handle the amount of highway traveling and general off road use it will see. My 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior was not covered and after 6 years of use, it took quite a bit of front end abuse. It was a white truck and didn't show too badly, but this truck is the new Barcelona Red Metallic and I am certain it will show quite a bit more. Not cheap, but worth the investment if you plan on using the truck for a long time. If you plan on flipping it for a new one every few years, probably not then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0298.jpg (201.6 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by 17-TRD-Pro; 01-14-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Add info
The Following User Says Thank You to 17-TRD-Pro For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-14-2017)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
With clear bra the truck is a little more time consuming to clean. Need to be careful of edges from clear film
Look at Xpel Self healing clear film.
Most important part is prep and who installs it!
The Following User Says Thank You to rp2000r For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-14-2017)
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 04:58 PM

Thanked 10,716 Times in 5,789 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17-TRD-Pro View Post
Had the Expel paint protection applied to my new 17 TRD Pro this week. Buddy of mine had his Boss 302 done last summer and it is amazing how well this stuff worked at preventing rock chips, tar, and bird crap from ruining the paint finish. I had the entire front end, too include the headlights and rear view mirrors, covered. Came out amazing! I plan on keeping this truck for at least 10 years so I wanted it to handle the amount of highway traveling and general off road use it will see. My 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior was not covered and after 6 years of use, it took quite a bit of front end abuse. It was a white truck and didn't show too badly, but this truck is the new Barcelona Red Metallic and I am certain it will show quite a bit more. Not cheap, but worth the investment if you plan on using the truck for a long time. If you plan on flipping it for a new one every few years, probably not then.
How price is not cheap if I may so inquire?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,115 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
3M film is an inferior film compared to the quality of XPel self healing film. There are a few companies making films, but XPel is one of the best out now. A good friend of mine is an XPel installer, and he quit selling or installing 3M years ago. XPel has no orange peel, it self heals when heated, stretches and is easier to install, although as end users we don't care about the ease of install. XPel comes with a 10 year warranty as well.

My old '07 Tundra had 3M installed and it began to deteriorate after 4 years and had to be replaced under warranty. My new Tundra has a full front wrap with XPel which includes 3/4 hood, 3/4 fenders, A pillars, 1/4 roof line, head lights and below head lights. He wrapped it about 3 hours after I brought the truck home, so it should remain nice and perfect for years to come. Well worth the small investment for an expensive truck
The Following User Says Thank You to Jumbo Jet For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-15-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra TRD Pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in