Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Towing a Rockwood Roo 183

8K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Tommy OConnor 
#1 ·
Hello

I'm looking at a Tundra to tow our 2018 Rockwood Roo (Hybrid Travel Trailer). We just finished a trip where we towed it fully loaded for 8 weeks with a 07 LX470 (Land Cruiser) and it wasn't the most enjoyable experience. I'm aware from reading the forums about the payload capacity and I think I'm safe, if not right at the limit. The family consists of me, my wife, three younger kids (a 7 yo, and twin 4 yo). I'm looking at a 2019 SR5 CrewMax 4x4 with the TRD Offroad package (38 gal tank).

One question I had (besides hoping to get some of your opinions on the payload) is that since we have a WDH, do you still calculate 13% of overall trailer weight as the adjusted hitch weight? Also, along the same lines, since the trailer is dual axle does that affect the 13%? Just figured since it's got more than one pivot point on the ground that might reduce the downward force on the hitch (might be a stupid question).

Trailer stats:
Hitch Weight: 480 lb.
UVW 4179 lb.
CCC 1581 lb.
GVWR 5760 lb.
Adj Hitch weight (using the 13% calc): 750 lb.

Cargo (est):
People: 400 lb.
Bikes: 120 lb.
Misc: 200 lb.
Gas: 228 lb (38 x 6 lb) - do I factor this in?
Total (w gas): 948 lb / (wo gas): 720 lb

Combined hitch and cargo (w gas): 1,698 lb / (wo gas): 1,470 lb

Looks like the payload for the Tundra model I'm looking at is 1,560 lb.

I'm guessing I'll be fine for the few times I tow. I know it will be way more enjoyable than the Cruiser. What do you fine folks think?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. I found a page on Toyota that said the payload for a 2020 is 1,560. I found a different page on a dealer site that says that config is 1,600. Any idea what it would be for a CM?

https://www.hilandtoyota.com/blog/how-much-can-the-2019-toyota-tundra-haul-tow/

Also, any idea what I can expect from the towing experience? I know it's subjective, and hard to say because of various trailers, etc. But for instance, do you think I use cruise control without it hunting for gears? Maintain 65 - 70 mph up a decent grade? Any experience with towing with a slightly bigger tire (275/70r18 33.2in)?

#4 ·
Dont use cruise control when towing. I tow under 70mph, 60-65 is a much better speed, its not a race. The 275-70 tires not a problem even with my 5th wheel 9k lbs.
My '18 2wd DC only has payload of 1450 so the numbers you found have to be a stripped SR 2wd model. You will probably be a bit over payload but the truck will pull that trailer safe and reliably. I tow this. Land vehicle Vehicle Car RV Pickup truck
Land vehicle Vehicle Car RV Pickup truck
Land vehicle Vehicle Car RV Pickup truck

#5 ·
Are you getting the tow package? Tow/Haul switch will change shift points and help with hunting gears.

Buckaroo

#6 ·
The tundra will pull your set up very well. I like using the manual mode to select the gears and i can maintain 70 mph pulling 7500 lbs in 4th gear very comfortably. The cruise control gets wacky when towing, I wouldn't plan on using it. it might not be as much of an issue in your weight range however. They have programmed the cruise system not to be able to use very much of the throttle range, (if i had to guess it can only use about 50% of the throttle at best before shutting down), so when towing it works ok on flat ground, but not pulling hills. I don't believe gas should be factored into your calculations on the truck, but otherwise you should be fine.

#7 ·
The hitch weight is between 10% and 15% of trailer weight whether you use a WDH or not.

Dual axle does not affect the hitch weight percentage.

Yes, do factor gas into your calculations.

Do get the tow package.

When I bought my trailer, it came with a Haul Master WDH that I used for a few trips and felt the trailer being pushed by passing semi-trucks. I replaced it with an Equl-i-zer 4-point WDH and now the semi-trucks have no effect.

My 2008 Crew Max 5.7 SR5 4x4 with tow package and E rated tires handles our 6,800 lb. GVWR travel trailer without any issues. We did one trip with me, wife, daughter, two grandkids, two bikes, and more luggage. This was in the Gatlinburg area and the truck did just fine.

The Tundra should tow your trailer just fine.

#10 ·
splitting hairs here, but page 153 of the owners manual does not mention including fuel in your cargo capacity calculations... it goes on beyond that to include trailer info...

(1) Locate the statement “The combined weight of occupants and
cargo should never exceed XXX kg or XXX lbs.” on your vehicle’s
placard.
(2) Determine the combined weight of the driver and passengers that
will be riding in your vehicle.
(3) Subtract the combined weight of the driver and passengers from
XXX kg or XXX lbs.
(4) The resulting figure equals the available amount of cargo and luggage load capacity.
For example, if the “XXX” amount equals 1400 lbs. and there will be
five 150 lb passengers in your vehicle, the amount of available
cargo and luggage load capacity is 650 lbs. (1400 − 750 (5 × 150) =
650 lbs.)

#8 ·
Make sure get the 38 gallon tank. Since you can only get down to 85-90% of capacity, the standard 26 gallon tank only has about 22-23 usable, at 10 mpg (typical) you only get 2.5-3 hours of range. Whether you want to drive that much or not, the peace of mind of having that extra range is valuable.

#9 ·
I agree with everyone's comments above. My input is that you will love towing with the Tundra. The rear axle anti-sway design is spectacular and works the best of any large pickup I have ever towed with. And I have towed with everything.

Make sure that when you set up your WDH that everything is as level as possible (trailer is level, truck is level). I personally like to use higher rated spring bars on my WDH because I think they help eliminate pavement hop. I usually go up one or two sizes on the spring bars. It does make the truck and trailer more stiff, but I like that is tends to stay flat and not buck as much with the higher rated bars.

I tow around 60 MPH in 4th gear, no cruise control, easy on the throttle so it does not downshift on the hills.

#11 · (Edited)
Agree that weight of fuel does not count against payload capacity as the provided max limit includes it already - stated payload capacity of models with the 38 gal tank are reduced by 115 lbs which is the incremental weight vs standard tank. The weight of the weight distributing hitch and trailer tongue weight do count along with all passengers and cargo in the truck. The payload capacity is usually the limiting factor on TT's.

Buckaroo

#12 ·
Rear air bags will help the suspension harshness over speed bumps and bridge expansion joints. The firestone "ride-rite" system is an option that is a no-holes drilled installation on the Tundra. I inflate mine to about 40 lbs for towing my travel trailer (Max air pressure is rated at 100 psi). And the air bags help keep your rig level when tongue weight compresses the rear springs and shocks. When not towing, the bags are reduced to 5 or 10 PSI and do not get in the way. I am on the original set of air bags for 11 years so far.

#13 ·
Take your trailer down to a local CAT scale and pay the $12 or so to get the weights on the landcruisers rear wheel and the trailer's wheels. Then unhitch the trailer and you can get a re-weigh for free of only the Landcruiser. That gives you the true weight of the trailer and the load that the hitch is supporting. For the first time with a new RV I will get it loaded for a trip and make a first stop at a CAT scale on our route so I can get an exact weight with a full travel load.

In addition to the towing capacity for a vehicle is the maximum tongue weight and tow weight for the hitch. This is usually much higher for trucks and SUV's witCAT scale truck ladder frames (like the 4Runner or Chevy Tahoe).

I would add to the leaf springs on a vehicle and only use airbags on a vehicle with rear coil springs where that was the only option for pulling a travel trailer. A 5th wheel is a different matter in terms of leveling the bed of the truck with the trailer attached and putting a great deal more weight on the bed and rear suspension.

Lots of good RV specific forums that will provide a good deal of travel trailer towing information as well as people who like and people who dislike airbags.

#17 ·
Take your trailer down to a local CAT scale and pay the $12 or so to get the weights on the landcruisers rear wheel and the trailer's wheels. Then unhitch the trailer and you can get a re-weigh for free of only the Landcruiser. That gives you the true weight of the trailer and the load that the hitch is supporting. For the first time with a new RV I will get it loaded for a trip and make a first stop at a CAT scale on our route so I can get an exact weight with a full travel load.
I did this on my Grand Design 2670MK. I weighed the tongue using a scale and got around 875 lbs. I hooked it up using the weight distributing hitch, did the CAT scale measurements of both the Tundra and the TT, then just the Tundra. Took the total weight of the Tundra w/ TT attached and subtracted the weight of Tundra only to see how much weight the TT added to the truck....it was about 680 lbs. When I do the calculation for how much the TT contributes to Tundra payload, I guess the 680 lbs is the right number to use. The weight on the TT axle was 6720 lbs so that means I'm ~10% hitch weight (680lbs/6720 lbs) which is marginal I think (target being 10-15%). If I use the 875 lb number for the hitch weight, I get about 13% which is in the middle of the range.

The Tundra handles the TT fine so I'm a Happy Camper...I know this is nit-picky stuff but I'm trying to figure out how the calculations are supposed to work.

Buckaroo

#14 ·
Good advice. Adding a beefed up rear leaf spring would be ideal if you were using your tundra truck for trailer hauling a majority of the time, but the ride would increase harshness when the vehicle is empty.

If you will be haul your trailer a minority of the time, and drive empty a majority of the time, the air bag/leaf spring system allows you to add air when towing, and still retain the stock factory softer ride when the vehicle is empty.

Many of us use air bags in combination with rear leaf springs, and do so quite successfully. My remarks apply to my experience with the Second and third generation Tundras. I do not have any experience with using the FJ as a tow vehicle.
Thank You.
Jay

tundra rear air bags - Google Search

#15 ·
Good advice. Adding a beefed up rear leaf spring would be ideal if you were using your tundra truck for trailer hauling a majority of the time, but the ride would increase harshness when the vehicle is empty.

If you will be haul your trailer a minority of the time, and drive empty a majority of the time, the air bag/leaf spring system allows you to add air when towing, and still retain the stock factory softer ride when the vehicle is empty.

Many of us use air bags in combination with rear leaf springs, and do so quite successfully. My remarks apply to my experience with the Second and third generation Tundras. I do not have any experience with using the FJ as a tow vehicle.
Thank You.
Jay

#18 ·
I pull a rockwood roo 17 - Similar specs just fine

I have a rockwood roo 17 (similar to the 183) that I used to pull with a Honda Pilot. After a few years of that, we finally convinced ourselves to find a way to afford the truck.

We now pull that same trailer with an 18 CrewMax - and it tows very nicely. Most of the time I've found the sweet spot is around 73 - 77mph. I've gone faster than that when needed without issue (hits the wallet worse though).

Yes, I use a WDH, although I'm not sure if it actually makes any difference with a trailer that's under 5k.

#19 · (Edited)
We pull a 2018 Rockwood Roo 24WS with my 2014 Limited CM. The trailer loaded I would estimate at about 5800lbs or so. Empty its 51xxlbs. The truck pulls it great, a bit of advice. Always use the tow haul button, learned this the hard way after refueling and forgetting to put it back on until I hit a very steep hill.
Don't do over 60mph on those China bombs that come with these campers. It boggles my mind when I see guys doing 75-80mph!
Enjoy the ride don't engage cruise control and remember your not going to beat any land speed records. Stay on the right.
I honestly don't overthink payloads etc. Too much. I load a few bikes, firewood etc. My truck is usually leveled with the trailer.
Now our 3 work/company SR-5's thats another matter. The things we've done to those trucks...and they never missed a days work ? cheers.

Attachments

#20 ·
Just be warned that the YouTube Tundra expert, Tundra Dude, has said that the 2019 and I'm assuming 2020 Tundras do NOT come standard with a transmission cooler. It's now a dealer installed accessory. Even though the Monroney sticker says it has a transmission cooler it doesn't. Guys are towing and finding out their granny's are running 30 degrees or more hotter than on their previous Tundras. Some owners are threatening a class action lawsuit vs. Toyota for deleting the cooler but not changing the sticker.

Reactions: the other ken
#21 ·
Ah shoot, sorry guys. I never got a notification that this thread was getting replies, so I never checked back.

I ended up buying a 2018 Tundra CM. Tows the Roo 183 perfectly, very enjoyable experience. Can't wait for camping season to roll around. Towing with my '07 Landcruiser was stress inducing. I guess I don't have justification to "drink as much of the beer in the fridge as possible to reduce weight before a tow day" anymore. Kinda sad about that tbh. Thanks so much for the great replies. I did install airbags btw.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.