Can I tow this set up safely??? - Page 6 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
IMG_3317.jpg Just got home last night from a 1000 mile jaunt from Oregon to Wyoming. 30' Grand Design 5er at 7800# with about 1100# pin weight. Truck handled it beautifully over mountain passes and down the interstate. Adding a set of helper springs this week 2000# Hellwig springs just to level it out a touch and help with a bit of stability but I have pulled a lot of loads over the years and the Tundra doesn't perform like a 1/2 ton...ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrunr262 View Post
Attachment 854896 Just got home last night from a 1000 mile jaunt from Oregon to Wyoming. 30' Grand Design 5er at 7800# with about 1100# pin weight. Truck handled it beautifully over mountain passes and down the interstate. Adding a set of helper springs this week 2000# Hellwig springs just to level it out a touch and help with a bit of stability but I have pulled a lot of loads over the years and the Tundra doesn't perform like a 1/2 ton...ever!

Congratulations on the trip, but Iíd rethink the hellwig helpers. I put them on my truck and kept them for a couple days then I took them off. Lifted the rear, were very noisy and didnít help level the truck.

I also tried sumo springs.

I went with airbags and they are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:05 AM

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I wanted to put bags on my truck but I had a B&W hitch installed and there isn’t room for the bags with that hitch setup on the frame.

post #79 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I wanted to put bags on my truck but I had a B&W hitch installed and there isn’t room for the bags with that hitch setup on the frame.
Do your the hitch components extend between the frame and springs? Do you have a picture of your setup? My airbags only take up the space between my springs and frame. This area would normally be open and clear to allow for cycling of the rear suspension. I'm curious how your B&W hitch would interfere with bags but not with help springs. Attached is a pic of my bags. They are airlift 5000 ultimates. I know most people go with Firestone but I got a good deal on the bags and compressor install. Plus I remove them when not towing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear.jpg (200.7 KB, 21 views)

2011 Tundra Rock Warrior Crewmax

post #80 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I wanted to put bags on my truck but I had a B&W hitch installed and there isnít room for the bags with that hitch setup on the frame.

I have the B&W as well. The bottom bolt for your hitch gets swapped for the airbag stud. Itís a PITA to install but itís do able.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
Rrunr262 (09-04-2019)
post #81 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
I have the B&W as well. The bottom bolt for your hitch gets swapped for the airbag stud. Itís a PITA to install but itís do able.

Thanks for the info. I will probably give the springs a try since theyíll be here tomorrow. I do prefer the adjustability of the bags but if I get the desired look and performance for a fourth the cost why wouldnít I?

post #82 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:43 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanked 1,393 Times in 741 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will probably give the springs a try since theyíll be here tomorrow. I do prefer the adjustability of the bags but if I get the desired look and performance for a fourth the cost why wouldnít I?

Springs could sacrifice ride comfort unloaded much worse than bags, which can be wired down to a minimum.

Not California compliant
post #83 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason75979 View Post
Springs could sacrifice ride comfort unloaded much worse than bags, which can be wired down to a minimum.

Update: Installed the helpers last Friday and hauled the fifth wheel down to the football game for the weekend, a little over 200 miles each way plus all the unhitched running around. The springs did exactly as intended giving just a bit more support and leveled the ride a bit. I wasnít looking for anything more out of them. Seems most noticeable when crossing uneven conditions while making a turn. No noise whatsoever and the unloaded ride is unchanged. To get the expected results for a fourth the cost of bags Iím gonna have to keep em for now. Thanks for all the input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in