Best early Gen 2 setup for general towing - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best early Gen 2 setup for general towing

Hi all,

Newbie here.

Need to buy my first Tundra to tow my 7k lb boat. I've been reading up on what to look for, but I am curious to know what is the best configuration for the 2007-2012 model years (to fit my budget) to max my towing capacity/flexibility.

It's just me and my dog and my junk. Oh, and my boat. I will use it as an occasional boat hauler in New England and as my winter beater. Don't need to load up the bed every day with Home Depot finds or bags of cement. Who knows, at some point, I may want to tow a small camper, have a light popup trailer, tow grinch sled, or put a whatsamajoosit in the bed...so I want to make sure I am getting the best 'size' from the get go.

From what I have gathered here, it seems like a 5.7L Double Cab, standard bed has the best tow capacity and payload (given I don't need a ton of cabin space). But I don't know if any of the trims make a serious dent in tow capacity, payload or reliability. Also, if there are any years (within the early Gen 2 years) that had upgrades that greatly increase either the tow capacity or the reliability, I would love to hear about it.

I'm looking on Craigslist (and out of state, since I want a southern truck with very limited/no salt exposure) so I just want to know where to focus my search.

I have a good trailer with brakes...so I'm less worried about the towing itself, just really want the Tundra guidance on which year, model and trim is the best to maximize towing.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Any tundra with a 5.7 will pull your boat. A double cab standard bed will have the highest tow rating of just over 10,000 lbs while crewmax short beds will be somewhere around 9,800. As you can see either would be fine. There weren't any mechanical changes in the years you specified so just find the clean truck with the lowest miles.

As far as trim, the lower the trim the higher the payload and towing. But even a fully loaded truck will be plenty of a truck to pull your boat.

Some other things to consider would be getting a 4x4 because if your ramp launching and loading a 7000 lb boat traction will be an issue.

Any truck in that year range will need a trailer brake controller added, it might be something to add to your check list for a truck so you don't have to do it after you buy the truck. Unless your trailer has surge brakes then disregard this part.

Depending on the size of your dog a crewmax with folded down seats will get him a huge comfy area he can stand up and walk around for long trips.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by seth lafleur; 07-19-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth lafleur View Post
Any tundra with a 5.7 will pull your boat. A double cab standard bed will have the highest tow rating of just over 10,000 lbs while crewmax short beds will be somewhere around 9,800. As you can see either would be fine. There weren't any mechanical changes in the years you specified so just find the clean truck with the lowest miles.

As far as trim, the lower the trim the higher the payload and towing. But even a fully loaded truck will be plenty of a truck to pull your boat.

Some other things to consider would be getting a 4x4 because if your ramp launching and loading a 7000 lb boat traction will be an issue.

Any truck in that year range will need a trailer brake controller added, it might be something to add to your check list for a truck so you don't have to do it after you buy the truck. Unless your trailer has surge brakes then disregard this part.

Depending on the size of your dog a crewmax with folded down seats will get him a huge comfy area he can stand up and walk around for long trips.

5.7, max tow package, P3 trailer brake controller, airlift airbag kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:40 AM

Every 5.7 comes with "max tow" package

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks all.

I was already planning on a 4x4, as some of the ramps in Maine can be notsogreat.

I want the front bench, so looks likes my best bet is an SR5 or TRD DC with a 5.7 and 4WD. With running boards.

Any issues with the TRD offroad suspension or brake kits impacting towing or significantly lowering towing capabilities?

I don't want/need the crew cab because I want the benefit of the DCs higher payload for any future hauling needs. And my dog is used to hanging out in the back seat of older BMWs so I'm sure the bench in the Tundra DC will feel like a couch Tho getting in and out of a truck versus a normal car is going to be very different.

Now the search begins.

Last edited by TechieTechie; 07-20-2019 at 05:04 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oh, here is my co-pilot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190707_085441.jpg (210.9 KB, 29 views)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Garage
Depending on mileage, you may need new shocks anyway so TRD or not isnít an issue. Throw some bilstein 5100ís all round. If you tow and haul a lot, airbags are nice. I recommend firestone bags, airlift wireless compressor, and if you go off-road, daystar cradles.

Load range e tires will help with towing stability as well.

As long as you get a 5.7, you will have the tow package and nothing else will impact the towing and payload by more that a few hundred pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:19 PM

The trd package is just stiffer shocks so it would actually be better for towing. Also I would look into a helwig or trd rear sway bar as it significantly improves towing stability. And second load range e tires for towing.

Last edited by seth lafleur; 07-20-2019 at 10:23 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:08 PM

Thanked 1,768 Times in 935 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Garage
Only the 2014+ 5.7's all come with the tow package.

Trim won't make too much of a difference, as it will really just impact your residual payload and towing capacity if it's a heavier, highly optioned truck. But the difference will be minimal.

The Tow Package was an option on 5.7 trucks from 2007 through 2013, although it was very commonly equipped, so chances are you're going to find one with it. The way to tell is by looking for the Tow / Haul button on the dash or column shifter, and looking for the factory installed trailer hitch and not an aftermarket one.

Trucks with the tow package will have the massive 4.30:1 rear end, and be able to pull either up to 10,800 lbs, or slightly less (a few hundred pounds) after 2011 when Toyota started using the SAE J2807 Standard to calculate towing capacity. Trucks without the tow package will not have a factory hitch, won't have the big rear end (it'll be a 4.10:1), and will only be rated for around 5,000 lbs max, if I remember correctly. Also, trucks form 2011 on have built in Trailer Sway Control as part of the standard Vehicle Stability Control that comes with all 2007+ trucks.

I had a 2010 Tundra that I loved for 5 years, and it was a fantastic truck, and always felt like it would pull anything I hooked up to regardless of weight. With your boat and trailer being 7k, you're well within the ratings of a properly equipped Tundra, however, despite what's being said elsewhere in this thread, you DO need to get one that is spec'd properly.

Also there's tons of info on this site about brake controllers and where to install them for the 2nd gen Tundra, so you're covered there. The most popular by far is the Tekonsha P3.

A Double Cab truck with the 5.7 and 4wd will have a payload of around 1600 lbs, and if it has the off road package, somewhere in the 1400-ish range. The stiffer Bilstein Shocks that come with the TRD Off Road package I thought were great for towing, and I enjoyed the ride of them over the standard shocks anyway. Once again though, minimal performance difference between the two.

New EnglandTundra Club Member #10

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
Hemi eTorque 4x4
12" Uconnect, Air Ride, Pano Roof
Dearly Missed: 2010 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7l, TRD Off Road, 4WD Silver Sky Metallic
Front only Bilstein 5100's at top setting
TRD Rock Warrior Wheels LT 285/70R17E BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's

Last edited by riccnick; 07-21-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Per the Tundra Owners Manual:

If the gross trailer weight is over 2000 lb. (907 kg), a sway control device with sufficient capacity is required.

If the gross trailer weight is over 5000 lb. (2268 kg), a weight distributing hitch with sufficient capacity is required.

Since there appears to be No Mention of different weight limits for Tundras with the Tow Package, it would appear that the above limits apply to Tow Package equipped Tundras as well.

The following is a link for the original poster where he can go to get all the official information published by Toyota for the various model years. The link is for the 2012 Model year which can be changed to any year that the OP is looking at.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resour...ls/tundra/2012

FYI, the Double Cab offers a folding up rear seat. Some models have an optional storage system under that fold up seat. This system can be removed if necessary for more storage or to give your co-pilot a place to lay down if he does not like the rear bench seat. This seat is a 2/3 - 1/3 seat so he could sit on the bigger seat and you could fold up the 1/3 seat for more cargo space. Not sure of the Crew Cab has these features in their rear seats. I'm sure one of the CC owners will chime in with info about that rear seat.

Good Luck with your search.

Charlie

2012 Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7L, Silver Sky Metallic, SR5 Pkg, Tow Pkg, OEM Towing Mirrors, Chrome Appearance Pkg, AM/FM/CD w/ MP3/WMA Playback, Rubber Flr Mats w/Door Sill Protector, A.R.E "CX" Cap, BedRug Bedliner, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Seatcovers, Westin 6" Oval Nerf Bars TWACCM #48

Last edited by charlier; 07-22-2019 at 02:58 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Hi all,

From what I have gathered here, it seems like a 5.7L Double Cab, standard bed has the best tow capacity and payload (given I don't need a ton of cabin space).
I think the regular cab 5.7 Tundra have the highest payload & towing ratings, 2WD rated highest.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:09 PM

Thanked 1,768 Times in 935 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlier View Post
Sincere there appears to be No Mention of different weight limits for Tundras with the Tow Package, it would appear that the above limits apply to Tow Package equipped Tundras as well.
Yes, the weights listed are well within the trailer towing capacity of Tundra's with or without the Tow Package, so the equipment is required nonetheless over these weights. But also, to clarify, the chart that lists the trailer tow rating by configuration does in fact distinguish between Towing Package and Non Towing Package trucks.

New EnglandTundra Club Member #10

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
Hemi eTorque 4x4
12" Uconnect, Air Ride, Pano Roof
Dearly Missed: 2010 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7l, TRD Off Road, 4WD Silver Sky Metallic
Front only Bilstein 5100's at top setting
TRD Rock Warrior Wheels LT 285/70R17E BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccnick View Post
Yes, the weights listed are well within the trailer towing capacity of Tundra's with or without the Tow Package, so the equipment is required nonetheless over these weights. But also, to clarify, the chart that lists the trailer tow rating by configuration does in fact distinguish between Towing Package and Non Towing Package trucks.
THANKS for clarifying that for me, I was going to mention that in my post but forgot to.

The weights and "required" equipment are often forgotten about by some people. My post is mainly a reminder.

Since others in this thread posted about airbags I thought it would be a good idea to post the following link that shows The Difference Between Using Weight Distribution and Air Bags to Level Your Load. I post this link just in case the original poster does not know how each works and what they can and cannot do.

Charlie

2012 Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7L, Silver Sky Metallic, SR5 Pkg, Tow Pkg, OEM Towing Mirrors, Chrome Appearance Pkg, AM/FM/CD w/ MP3/WMA Playback, Rubber Flr Mats w/Door Sill Protector, A.R.E "CX" Cap, BedRug Bedliner, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Seatcovers, Westin 6" Oval Nerf Bars TWACCM #48

The Following User Says Thank You to charlier For This Useful Post:
riccnick (07-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in