User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Another SumoSprings Thread

Of all the searching around the forum, there seems to be a lot of missing information about specifics on Sumosprings on Tundras. Maybe they just aren't that popular here. I would like to see pics before and after with trailers, which model of spring you went with, i.e: 1000#, 1500#, or 2800#

Please don't try to talk me into air bags or Timbrens, etc. I use Ride Rite on 2 other of my company trucks and like the systems enough. I really would like to try a set of these on the 15' Tundra, as it tows 75% of the time. If I don't like them, I'll do something else eventually. I rarely keep my main company truck for more than 3 years, so I'm not installing air bags on it.

Unloaded 18' tandem axle car hauler=1800# empty, I occasionally haul up to 7000# on it. My camper is 26.7' long and has approximately 1000# of loaded tongue weight with equalizer hitch. Truck sags about 1-2 inches depending on load. I'd like to hear what you are towing with which Sumosprings and pictures are preferred.

Thanks to all who reply.

Last edited by CabinCruiser; 05-23-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:47 PM
He Has Risen!

Thanked 17,181 Times in 8,064 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinCruiser View Post
I don't know if this forum is dead or not, but of all the searching around the forum, there seems to be a lot of missing information about specifics on Sumosprings on Tundras. Maybe they just aren't that popular here.
I think that's it. They are not the more popular option.
From a quick glance, they seem to be nothing more than a foam bump stop.
For people towing/hauling 75% of the time, at 90% capacity, a new leaf pack is a more effective and practical mod.
If you want something that is easy to transfer/install because you are getting a new truck every 3 yrs, then maybe bump up to a 2500 and then no mods are needed.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
I think that's it. They are not the more popular option.
From a quick glance, they seem to be nothing more than a foam bump stop.
For people towing/hauling 75% of the time, at 90% capacity, a new leaf pack is a more effective and practical mod.
If you want something that is easy to transfer/install because you are getting a new truck every 3 yrs, then maybe bump up to a 2500 and then no mods are needed.
I have two 2500s now and this truck will out pull both and gets better gas mileage doing so, so that's not really an option. I put about 4-5k miles on it per year and don't want to complicate things while keeping the factory ride. I've used Sumos on Tacomas with good results in the past. I just really want to see which Sumos folks are using with their Tundras and how much they tow, etc. I may still upgrade later if I decide to keep the truck.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:01 PM
He Has Risen!

Thanked 17,181 Times in 8,064 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Garage
I've peeked in many of the suspension/towing threads. I wanna say I've only seen the sumospring mentioned a few times.
Hopefully someone sees this and you get feedback.
I'm opting for a new leaf pack because I have a cap, 8' bed and there's always weight in it
Hope those work out for ya.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
I've peeked in many of the suspension/towing threads. I wanna say I've only seen the sumospring mentioned a few times.
Hopefully someone sees this and you get feedback.
I'm opting for a new leaf pack because I have a cap, 8' bed and there's always weight in it
Hope those work out for ya.
I just want to try them. As cheap as they are, I figured I'd give it a go. I built a tonneau cover for it, have a loaded tool box, and occasionally have the bed full too. The headlight tilt adjuster is kinda cool too. Never had a truck with that on and it has made a difference so far as well when towing or hauling loads at night. Wish my GMCs had that!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 36,934 Times in 18,623 Posts
Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9087 Post(s)
Have you considered Supersprings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First Gen Club Member # 23
Peanut Butter and JAM
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:32 PM
Chief of Grammar Police
Premium Member

Thanked 12,035 Times in 5,782 Posts
Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know if this forum is dead or not, but of all the searching around the forum, there seems to be a lot of missing information about specifics on Sumosprings on Tundras. Maybe they just aren't that popular here. I would like to see pics before and after with trailers, which model of spring you went with, i.e: 1000#, 1500#, or 2800#

Please don't try to talk me into air bags or Timbrens, etc. I use Ride Rite on 2 other of my company trucks and like the systems enough. I really would like to try a set of these on the 15' Tundra, as it tows 75% of the time. If I don't like them, I'll do something else eventually. I rarely keep my main company truck for more than 3 years, so I'm not installing air bags on it.

Unloaded 18' tandem axle car hauler=1800# empty, I occasionally haul up to 7000# on it. My camper is 26.7' long and has approximately 1000# of loaded tongue weight with equalizer hitch. Truck sags about 1-2 inches depending on load. I'd like to hear what you are towing with which Sumosprings and pictures are preferred.

Thanks to all who reply.
The forum is dead. We tried the or not and it really didn't pan out. Everyone wanted to talk about ceramic coatings and cast iron skillets so they all voted on the dead option. Sorry bud.

2007 Salsa Red Crewmax Limeted
Born in TEXAS built by TEXANS
aFe Stage II Pro-S Dry Si
Corsa Sport Single Cat Back Exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 36,934 Times in 18,623 Posts
Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9087 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacked View Post
Quote:
I don't know if this forum is dead or not, but of all the searching around the forum, there seems to be a lot of missing information about specifics on Sumosprings on Tundras. Maybe they just aren't that popular here. I would like to see pics before and after with trailers, which model of spring you went with, i.e: 1000#, 1500#, or 2800#

Thanks to all who reply.
The forum is dead. We tried the or not and it really didn't pan out. Everyone wanted to talk about ceramic coatings and cast iron skillets so they all voted on the dead option. Sorry bud.
Have you tried soup filled dumplings?

First Gen Club Member # 23
Peanut Butter and JAM
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicklebunny View Post
Have you considered Supersprings?
I'm actually looking at those also.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 36,743 Times in 18,210 Posts
Mentioned: 1593 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11668 Post(s)
Quote:
I just want to try them. As cheap as they are, I figured I'd give it a go. I built a tonneau cover for it, have a loaded tool box, and occasionally have the bed full too. The headlight tilt adjuster is kinda cool too. Never had a truck with that on and it has made a difference so far as well when towing or hauling loads at night. Wish my GMCs had that!
no shit, you built your own tonneau cover? post some pics! i've been looking for inspiration but havent seen anything i like yet.
was thinking about using some plywood and tarps but idk how to attach it to the bed. was thinking about some hinges, i could just self tap them right to the bed...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragos28 For This Useful Post:
Azblue (05-23-2019)
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Garage
In my build thread I have detailed my experience with the 1,000lb sumo springs (their suggestion according to my load), hellwig progressive helpers, and firestone airbags.

Basically, sumos didnít help with the squat but felt more controlled. They are actually installed on my buddyís 98 gmc right now with the spacers I made to get them to engage sooner. They made his worn out springs ride and support loads better.

Hellwig helpers did nothing but lift the rear when unloaded, didnít help with the squat and made tons of squeaks and noises.

Firestone airbags, airlift wireless one compressor and daystar cradles are the way to go. In every aspect.

I was 90% against having airbags until I tried them. Now they will be on every truck I buy in the future.

Just my experience......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (05-23-2019), theoat (05-24-2019)
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 22,475 Times in 11,076 Posts
Mentioned: 768 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8783 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragos28 View Post
no shit, you built your own tonneau cover? post some pics! i've been looking for inspiration but havent seen anything i like yet.
was thinking about using some plywood and tarps but idk how to attach it to the bed. was thinking about some hinges, i could just self tap them right to the bed...

No you moron, don't use screws. Everyone knows that you use bungee cords to attach home made covers.

Save The Chrome Club #1
SAVE THE CHROME!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Azblue For This Useful Post:
MetalMonkey (05-23-2019)
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:11 PM
Stealth Ninja Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 33,153 Times in 15,249 Posts
Mentioned: 894 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10933 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azblue View Post
No you moron, don't use screws. Everyone knows that you use bungee cords to attach home made covers.
Dumbass! You use orange racket straps!

2015 Tundra CrewMax 1794 2WD

ddd
ddd

The Following User Says Thank You to StevenD For This Useful Post:
Azblue (05-23-2019)
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
In my build thread I have detailed my experience with the 1,000lb sumo springs (their suggestion according to my load), hellwig progressive helpers, and firestone airbags.

Basically, sumos didnít help with the squat but felt more controlled. They are actually installed on my buddyís 98 gmc right now with the spacers I made to get them to engage sooner. They made his worn out springs ride and support loads better.

Hellwig helpers did nothing but lift the rear when unloaded, didnít help with the squat and made tons of squeaks and noises.

Firestone airbags, airlift wireless one compressor and daystar cradles are the way to go. In every aspect.

I was 90% against having airbags until I tried them. Now they will be on every truck I buy in the future.

Just my experience......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually did find some info in your build thread this morning. I do have air bags on the other two trucks I own. We use them quite frequently and have never had a failure. Firestone Ride Rite with compressors, both trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in