Needing opinions if my truck can handle a RV & ATV - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2017 Tundra TSS Offroad 5.7 V8
With Tow package/ Trailer brake
From what I found on sticker inside the door is
GVWR 7,200lbs
GAWR: FRT-4000lbs RR-4150lbs
Stock Tires are Load Range D
Did a vin search on my truck for Towing capacity and it says its rated for 9,800lbs???

RV- Dry Weight at 8,540lbs
Hitch Weight 940lbs. Also has Hensley Arrow wdh anti sway hitch

And ATV is 400lbs

I've hauled heavy equipment, RVs all types of trailers and boats but nothing with this new Tundra so I want to make sure it'll handle the load taking it carefully. Thanks in advance! And let me know if any additional info is needed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190501_115312_1557815155166.jpg (189.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2015_Winnebago_Ultralite_1557815305351.jpg (13.4 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by HaydenH; 05-14-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
You will be over payload by a couple hundred pounds and depending on what gets added-stored in camper be approaching max tow rating. A properly set up Tundra will tow it fine.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read post and was wondering if my 2016 Limited Edition 1794 needs more accessories and what to tow a fifth wheel or tag along .

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nm6300'asl View Post
You will be over payload by a couple hundred pounds and depending on what gets added-stored in camper be approaching max tow rating. A properly set up Tundra will tow it fine.
Nothing will be stored inside We will just have some clothes and some fishing tackle. "A properly setup Tundra" ? what exactly would that be. I'm picking up the RV half way to our vacation spot otherwise I'd just hook up to it to test.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Garage
Airbags or sumo springs / timbrens will give you some stability on your rear end. Tow mirrors are pretty much a must have as is a brake controller. Load range e tires will also give you more control while towing. When you need new tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yep, air bags, load range e, if the new camper is equipped for or has the observation-back up cam then tow mirrors are optional. Make sure 5er or tt is level when hooked. Take your time, it amazes me how fast people think they can tow.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
When you tow, 60MPH will give you 2MPG savings over 70MPH. Doing good if you break 9 MPG with the 5.7 in MHO. Good luck! Wind resistance is what works against your economy, not all about weight.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:06 PM

You'll be WELL over the payload capacity for sure. Hell, I'm probably a little over payload with my little ol' trailer depending how long the trip is gonna be.

I hear great things about the Hensley hitch, great sway control which runs in your favor with that trailer, but they're heavy sumbitches and that goes against your payload too. Probably wanna run max PSI in your tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190330_194248.jpg (170.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg rh5.jpg (194.0 KB, 27 views)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine has been doing a great job. All my weights are maxed out. (Careful not to go over) I had to be careful on how I loaded my trailer to avoid tail whip and I don't tow in high winds at all. semis caused a sucking effect in high wind (Scarey)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:15 AM

I tow a 5th wheel at max and the truck does great. Timbrens work great also, nothing to do once they are installed. Load e tires as mentioned and just keep up on your maintenance. Trailers are designed to go 65 mph max, I just get behind a semi and follow. Helps keeps the speed in check since its easy to go faster. truck wants to go. Also helps with gas. Towing a tt I was only able to get 6.8-8.6 mpg while I get 8.4-9.2 with the 5th wheel. Same routes also. No white knuckle experience with either setup as they where setup properly. Semis don't push us around either otherwise I would change my setup.
Like fwtexguy said high winds are not our friend, we have been caught in a few bad storms but I just take my time with no problems. After all it is a vacation, why rush it.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have Load D range tires. No tow mirrors but trailer brake did come with this truck. Cant help but worry when we get there to pick up RV itll be too much weight and I'll have to ditch the whole plan.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thinking if I ditch the wife I'll have an extra 100lbs to spare though.
Ha jk I wouldnt do that
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Right! Mine will be a bumper pull though so if I add up RV tongue weight itll be around 1000lbs on the hitch! Is that about right??
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Timbrens and similar products do not increase the load capacity, they only cause the axle to bottom out sooner which is OK is you like a harsh ride all the time. Better to have adjustable airbags or SuperSprings if needed.

Key aspect is the truck's GCWR as that is the total safe load for the truck and trailer weights combined and reflect the power from the engine and strength of the drivetrain and frame and brakes and other components. With a Tundra GCWR of 16,000 lbs. that is the number to start with when doing trailer and payload calculations.

If the truck has a curb weight of 5700 lbs. then the maximum combined passenger and cargo and trailer and its load needs to be under 10,000 lbs. and so a trailer that when empty weighs 8500 lbs. leaves very little capacity. A local CAT scale will charge less than $15 to weigh the truck now and later to weigh it when you have it loaded for travel with your passengers and a full gas tank.

A 5th wheel trailer puts the most strain on the truck with all the air drag from its high profile. Most of the horsepower is going to overcome wind drag and this increases with the square of the speed. At 70 mph the air drag is 4 times as great as at 35 mph and the "speed" is that of the truck and trailer plus that of any wind. Even a cross wind has two-thirds the vector strength of a headwind so most of the time it will be a factor. A full size hard side popup trailer will be the easiest camper to tow.

What matters to me is the load that my truck can tow safely and that includes its ability to pull a 8% grade at 40 plus mile per hour so I can pass a slow moving semi and its trailers in the mountains and can safely pass a slow moving farm tractor on the open highway without it being a white knuckle experience for me and the passengers. Can I accelerate into traffic on the interstate without needing a mile or more of lane to get up to 55 mph.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenH View Post
Thinking if I ditch the wife I'll have an extra 100lbs to spare though.
Ha jk I wouldnt do that
Ummm, dude if you're already married and she's still only 100 lbs, she's a keeper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in