New to towing (confirmation or condemnation) - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
New to towing (confirmation or condemnation)

I have a 2015 CC, 5.7, 4x4 with tow, on 35’s and daptised. We’re looking to buy a EVO T3250 travel trailer. The dealer told me it was >5000, but the Internet says,

Dry weight 7822
Payload cap 2158
GVWR 9980
Hitch weight 904

I feel Iike this is close to the limit? I intend to pick up a P3, and reese straight line WDH w/sway, is there anything else I should consider? (Like a different trailer?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TXTC# 207 2015 5.7 4x4 SR5 CM BRM
BA Mufflers Budget system
3/1 Supreme Suspension level
tinted windows / plasti dipped emblems
Bushwacker pocket style flares (plasti-dipped)
20x9 +01offset Fuel Beast wheels 35x12.50R20 nitto trail grapplers
N-Fab RSP front bumper, 38" Pro Tuning lab LED light bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
With those numbers you will be running at or above the limit. Add some air bags and maybe a rear anti-sway bar with your additional lift, and keep every part of your truck in tip top shape. The Tundra will tow it, but if you ever get into the big hills and mountains you will wish you were supercharged or had Gears and a Heavy duty Brake Kit. Would I do it...Yes...But Ive been moving and towing stuff most of my life. I cannot suggest a "new to towing" owner jump right in with a maxed out rig. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMax For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (04-08-2019), Manoah (04-08-2019)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 36,026 Times in 17,766 Posts
Mentioned: 1574 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11364 Post(s)
airbags are a must. sway bar would greatly help.
you already mentioned a good WDH.
i have stop-tech cryo rotors and EBC yellow brake pads. i'd highly suggest this combo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragos28 For This Useful Post:
Manoah (04-08-2019)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 26,261 Times in 13,433 Posts
Mentioned: 756 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6298 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not going to try and be the tow police since there are just so many morons on this forum who think the Tundra is a 1 ton diesel and tow stuff that is absurd while defending their actions every step of the way. What you are looking at is not absurd but 36 feet is quite a bit of camper for someone who is new to towing. Also keep in mind that weights published by manufacturers are notoriously low. I'm willing to bet the "delivered" empty weight of that trailer is closer to 8500 and tongue weight at about 1000. Fully loaded you could easily approach 10K/1200 depending on your setup.

Just about any truck made in the last 10 years CAN tow that camper but that does not mean they all should. Aside from the obvious safety issues of towing over specs you should consider what your tow experience will actually be like. I know many on here swear up and down that the Tundra tows these heavy loads "like a dream" but I call BS on that. Go tow that camper with the Tundra and then with a 3/4-1 ton truck and tell me the difference is not night and day. In any case, if you do it, pay attention to what others have said and then take it slow. Like I said, 36 feet is a lot of camper for your first real towing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2010 For This Useful Post:
charlier (04-10-2019), Manoah (04-08-2019), ottsville (04-09-2019)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:00 PM
KMG

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My 5th wheel weighs 5,500 dry with a 1060 hitch weight. To me that is the max I'd tow with my Tundra even with the towing package, airbags, E rated tires, and rear sway bar. My advice is listen to the conservative members who have expressed concern and ignore the "It'll tow twice that!" people. They're the same people you see on youtube saying "Hold my beer and watch this" right before they do something dangerously stupid. Good luck.
P.S. This was my work rig. I have 75,000 miles of towing experience in this rig alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (31.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by KMG; 04-08-2019 at 01:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:
Manoah (04-08-2019)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Garage
Like others have said, you will be pushing the limit or slightly over. I fully agree with the use of caution on your first camper towing experience. I did a fair bit of towing before we got a camper and its a whole different world. Wind resistance makes a huge difference and so does the length. Air bags, load range e tires, and tow mirrors are must haves in my opinion.

I pull a 32 5er thats 6500 lbs dry. Its about the max Id pull with the tundra. My next truck will be a 3/4 ton most likely because it struggles a little on the interstate. If you are just using it for short trips a few hours from home, you will be fine but if you are planning on doing some long road trips Id look into a smaller and lighter camper. I wouldnt take mine cross country with the tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
Manoah (04-08-2019)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
well, i think we'll look for a smaller trailer. thank you for your input!

TXTC# 207 2015 5.7 4x4 SR5 CM BRM
BA Mufflers Budget system
3/1 Supreme Suspension level
tinted windows / plasti dipped emblems
Bushwacker pocket style flares (plasti-dipped)
20x9 +01offset Fuel Beast wheels 35x12.50R20 nitto trail grapplers
N-Fab RSP front bumper, 38" Pro Tuning lab LED light bar
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Don't go for the biggest thing your truck can tow. Getting to the campsite stressed out from a whiteknuckle towing experience sucks for you and those with you. Also if you are towing with the truck in your signature line, remember that your modifications may impact how well your truck tows.

Go smaller - camping isn't about having the biggest flat screen in the campground, it's about being out and away with people you like and creating memories.

2011 Crewmax Limited 4x4

Tundra with a camper club #???
Charcoal filter delete
(Century) Leer cap Plastidipped white
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Try renting a trailer this size and try it out on a weekend. I rent all sizes and types, and pretty often - this is how I'm test driving my future purchase. I don't know how the board feels about referral links, but if you are interested in Outdoorsy.com, PM me and we can coord you getting something like $50 or $75 off before signing up. I've had great experiences with this site -- it's kind of like AirBnB, but for campers.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Get a lighter trailer or you will have worse passing performance going up a grade and more handling concerns going down steep grades. I would not as a matter of course run at the maximum with a trailer load. There are a great many lighter trailers available. I would also check for any problems with a given make and model year of trailer. One brand has a lot of axle mounts break free from the bottom of the trailer and this is an expensive fix, assuming that the trailer does not flip the tow vehicle.

Lots of RV forums where you can find 1000x as much relevant information about trailers than on a truck forum.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I think you are going to be displeased with pulling something that heavy with a 5.7 gas engine. You will be putting a lot of strain on your power-train, you will really feel it at highway speeds, and on any inclines. Remember too, if you go up in altitude, you lose HP and Torque. Lots of good tips here though. I agree with MRmachinist.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am planning to rent a trailer this summer from an owner on Outdoorsy.com, I think its a great way to really judge the potential of my truck. I have a 32 foot trailer reserved and it is about 7000lbs with water tanks and propane etc. Not included is all the crap that I will have in the back of the truck, the 4 of us and the dog and all her crap. I just got airbags and a wireless compressor installed to help shoulder the 860 lb tongue weight. Everyone says the Tundra can handle this weight with no problems. I am "hopeful" and will report back in June this year. I could go into a whole sideline on the topic of the airbag and how it changed my trucks ride quality when empty...but that's for another topic I guess.
I have loaded this truck and my 2014 2wd CM down with a considerable amount of landscape materials, cement and rocks etc...it is a tough truck and I never have felt like I was getting pushed around on the road. Slow and steady is the way to tow...or else you end up needing a tow. Some good advise here...if you are new to towing or hauling heavy loads...you would do well to leave the ego at the door and really be open to good sense advice. Cheers to you all...
Michael

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I tow a 2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge with a 14' Tundra DC, Yes, I added the Firestone bags. Fully loaded I'll be close to 8,000 lbs. Did a 6 week New England trip last fall over some decent mountain passes. Was never the need to go over 3/4 throttle. But, RV trailer is very heavy for it's 28'8" length, so I do know I'm towing it. It's 11'6" (to the AC).

Dry weight 6600
Payload cap 3400
GVWR 9999
Hitch weight 840

To the OP, the year before we looked at a 7400 lb. Arctic Fox 30' unit, and I would not tow that with this generation of Tundra. Not sure what the 35's are going to effect the towing capacity. I can't see them helping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2791.jpg (206.7 KB, 8 views)

14' Tundra Limited 5.7
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My wife and I bought a relatively small and light travel trailer back in September, I could actually tow it with my '99 Ford Explorer with minor elevation gains, but it would protest a bit. The Ford's owner's manual stated that the towing capacity of a vehicle drops about 2% per 1000 ft of elevation gain. We plan to go to some high Sierra mountain campgrounds regularly which are at nearly 10,000 ft in elevation. That would be about a 20% drop in capacity, or about 2000 lbs according to my Tundra owner's manual. I looked for three months to find a used truck that I thought would handle our load under these circumstances and finally found our Tundra, which should make it over the Sierras with ease. Just like my first home purchase, I don't like to push the limits on payments or anything else. One shortfall can ruin your whole day. So, think about how you'll be using your truck and then add a little more to the equation for a buffer, before you make your trailer purchase. You'd be surprised how little space you actually need for camping and how much harder it gets to back a trailer into a space for every additional foot of trailer length. Renting a trailer and trying before you buy seems like VERY good advice.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I am towing a 34' Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS which was 8200 lbs dry and hitch weight of 920 lbs. Loaded I am at 9400 lbs with a hitch weight of about 1300 - 1400 lbs. I use a Reese Straightline hitch with 1500 lb bars. Tundra tows the trailer well but I definitely know the trailer is there. High cross winds push the truck and trailer around a bit but no sway with the hitch. I am sure that a 3/4 or 1 ton would tow better as they are heavier but I have had no issues towing Ontario, Canada to Florida a couple of times in the last 6 months.

I know I am at the limit or a bit over but the Tundra handles the trailer well.

Previous trailer was 32' and 7200 lbs loaded. Tundra uses a bit more gas with the heavier trailer but all in all tows both trailers similarly. Cross winds are a bit more pushy with the 34' which is understandable.

I also would not recommend such a big trailer for first time. We started at 19' 13 years ago, moved to 32' and now 34'. It can be done if you take it easy until you are comfortable just not sure I would have wanted to go 34' or 36' first time out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in