New to towing (confirmation or condemnation) - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoah View Post
well, i think we'll look for a smaller trailer. thank you for your input!
Good smart call on your part. The Tundra properly set up can tow a lot. The limiting factor here is your admitted lack of towing experience. The smart move is to start smaller and move up as your experience and comfort level increase. its not the most cost effective way to get where you want to be someday. Example...a new rider wants to get a sport bike and do track days/race...I would never suggest a Supercharged 220HP Kawasaki H2R...Buy the 250/300 and move up as your abilities/experience grow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I went from a 29" trailer to a 35" Ultra light trailer that is lighter than the 29. Tongue weight is 850 though, which was more than the 29, different trailers are set up different with weight distribution over the axles. Even with the 4 point Equalizer hitch, one knows that trailer is back there. I only tow about 4 hours max trip. Look around, many different trailers out there with different floor plans and weights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1151.jpg (195.1 KB, 8 views)

Sold all The "Toy"s of ota!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Crewmax TSS SR5
2008 DC Tundra Texas Edition

Last edited by 97FASTech; 04-18-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Length of the trailer is very important if you plan to use it at USFS and national park campgrounds. At least in California very few campsites will be large enough for a 30+ foot trailer and many were designed for 22 feet or less trailers. A campground may have 100 sites but fewer than a dozen that may be big enough for a larger trailer and the campsites are usually on a first come basis.

For researching trailers I highly recommend spending time on the various RV forums. These will also have subforums for a particular brand of trailer and you can learn a lot about possible problems before you buy something.

Be aware that if you buy a new trailer its resale value will drop by 10% a year the first 5 years. I would much sooner buy a used trailer where the prior owner has had to deal with problems including warranty issues with equipment. On the other hand a lot of campers I looked at were listed by their owners as being in excellent condition when actually most were filthy inside and pretty beat up.

I would avoid buying a new camper and taking a long trip with it. Better to do a shakedown trip to a campground within a couple hours drive time if possible.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoah View Post
well, i think we'll look for a smaller trailer. thank you for your input!
Bingo !!

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in