User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Toy Hauler input

Hey guys, I have the 2018 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x4. I plan to have airbags installed (I know this does not increase towing capacity). I am looking at Toy haulers for the Tundra. I would love some recommendations from those of you who tow Toy haulers. I am looking for something in the 23ft-26ft range (box length). I have seen several that are around 6k dry weight. It will be only my wife and I in the truck (combined 300pounds). I plan to load a 250 dirt bike and 250 atv in the back of the toy hauler (combined 600 pounds). I have towed the dirt bike and atv on a utility trailer with a Mazda 3 up and down the state of California for 6 years so I am very familiar with weight distribution and proper loading. I am not interested in upgrading to a ĺ ton until Toyota makes one.

So far I like the Forest River Grey Wolf 26rr, Forest River Wolf Pack 24PACK14+ , and Eclipse attitude 23fib. I have actually been inside the 26rr and do not like how low the ceiling space is and do not like that it has small fresh water capacity. Been inside the 23fib and it was a nice trailer. Have not been inside the 24Pack14+ but it seems to be my favorite of the three trailers.

Any suggestions on other toy haulers or if you guys have experience with any of these three haulers, input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Blimp821; 03-27-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Garage
Look at the ATC aluminum toy haulers. In laws has the small 20í one and itís an awesome little camper. I got his 32í livin lite toyhauler from him (5er) itís nice as well but the ATC is nicer all around.

Some pictures of the little one when I used it a couple years ago.

Livin lite 5er

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
We bought a 24PACK14+ last summer and are digging it so far. It's just 2 of us and a 2017 HD Limited. We tell people we liked our bike so much we bought it a camper.
The Following User Says Thank You to 17FLHTK For This Useful Post:
Blimp821 (04-11-2019)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Buy the size and floorplan you want the first time that fits your wants, needs and limitations. I purchased mine based on its ability to haul three full size bikes and amenities. Fully loaded I'm close to max weight, but with the proper mods I go anywhere and enjoy mine.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp821 View Post
Hey guys, I have the 2018 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x4. I plan to have airbags installed (I know this does not increase towing capacity). I am looking at Toy haulers for the Tundra. I would love some recommendations from those of you who tow Toy haulers. I am looking for something in the 23ft-26ft range (box length). I have seen several that are around 6k dry weight. It will be only my wife and I in the truck (combined 300pounds). I plan to load a 250 dirt bike and 250 atv in the back of the toy hauler (combined 600 pounds). I have towed the dirt bike and atv on a utility trailer with a Mazda 3 up and down the state of California for 6 years so I am very familiar with weight distribution and proper loading. I am not interested in upgrading to a ĺ ton until Toyota makes one.

So far I like the Forest River Grey Wolf 26rr, Forest River Wolf Pack 24PACK14+ , and Eclipse attitude 23fib. I have actually been inside the 26rr and do not like how low the ceiling space is and do not like that it has small fresh water capacity. Been inside the 23fib and it was a nice trailer. Have not been inside the 24Pack14+ but it seems to be my favorite of the three trailers.

Any suggestions on other toy haulers or if you guys have experience with any of these three haulers, input would be appreciated.
I have same truck as you and I just put on AirRide bags with the wireless controller and compressor system. Couple things...your ride will change when empty...bouncy and a little stiffer. I have been playing around with pressure to find a sweet spot. So far 18 to 20 lbs seems good with no load. The other thing is if you are ever gonna want to go wheeling in the mud or thru water...forget about it. Putting the bags on means no more off roading. I confirmed this with AirRide, and I am willing to bet its the same with Firestone bags. I already pulled the trigger so I am still swallowing that pill of no mudding or creek surfing. Lastly there is a very limited placement for the compressor...mine ended up in the frame channel in the back drivers side. I am currently fabricating a sheet metal cover for the compressor and the modulator...both are exposed as hell back there. The bags are small and with the internal jounce they are even smaller before you bottom out on the bag. There just isn't much space. If I had it to do again I would throw a 3 inch lift on first, then get a taller bag so I have more travel. Overall I am glad to have the leveling capability, but I gave up so much. Do your own research but at least you can look at mine and see what your dealing with.
Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDeepEnd For This Useful Post:
Blimp821 (04-11-2019)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Garage
Toy Hauler input

If you still want to go off road, go with firestone bags and daystar cradles with at least an inch of lift from a shackle. This will give you the best of both worlds. The ride is slightly rougher unloaded, but I only keep 5psi when unloaded and I only feel it on large bumps.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Awesome! Any pics of the truck and RV hooked up? How does the truck do towing this amount of weight? Are you close to the weight limit or over? What mods have you done?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeepEnd View Post
I have same truck as you and I just put on AirRide bags with the wireless controller and compressor system. Couple things...your ride will change when empty...bouncy and a little stiffer. I have been playing around with pressure to find a sweet spot. So far 18 to 20 lbs seems good with no load. The other thing is if you are ever gonna want to go wheeling in the mud or thru water...forget about it. Putting the bags on means no more off roading. I confirmed this with AirRide, and I am willing to bet its the same with Firestone bags. I already pulled the trigger so I am still swallowing that pill of no mudding or creek surfing. Lastly there is a very limited placement for the compressor...mine ended up in the frame channel in the back drivers side. I am currently fabricating a sheet metal cover for the compressor and the modulator...both are exposed as hell back there. The bags are small and with the internal jounce they are even smaller before you bottom out on the bag. There just isn't much space. If I had it to do again I would throw a 3 inch lift on first, then get a taller bag so I have more travel. Overall I am glad to have the leveling capability, but I gave up so much. Do your own research but at least you can look at mine and see what your dealing with.
Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
If you still want to go off road, go with firestone bags and daystar cradles with at least an inch of lift from a shackle. This will give you the best of both worlds. The ride is slightly rougher unloaded, but I only keep 5psi when unloaded and I only feel it on large bumps.

From the research I have done, Mrmachinist is correct. You can still offroad with the bags and it is best to equip them with daystar cradles. I have also heard that people like to run their bags at 5psi when unloaded. Not sure what you mean by an inch from a shackle.

@mrmachinist have you done much offroading with the bags? How are they holding up?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp821 View Post
From the research I have done, Mrmachinist is correct. You can still offroad with the bags and it is best to equip them with daystar cradles. I have also heard that people like to run their bags at 5psi when unloaded. Not sure what you mean by an inch from a shackle.

@mrmachinist have you done much offroading with the bags? How are they holding up?

The daystar cradle is about an inch thick. So you really need to get an extra inch of room between your axle and the frame to keep the bags from being compressed too much.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to run a lift shackle.

I donít do a ton of off-roading. Just deer lease and camping roads. Iíve crossed some ditches and articulated the rear axle quite a bit with no issues. Some of the guys out west run this setup with no issues out in the desert and on trails.

This was taken with the camper and truck stuck in the mud. I had to winch myself out. The truck stayed hooked up like that all weekend while we hunted. I can level the truck perfectly while towing with 50psi. Rides great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in