Unloaded Tranny Temps - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sanders View Post
Thanks for the input. I got the PIDs from an FJ Cruiser Forum. I've been using it on my 4Runner and I simply plugged it into the Tundra and assumed it was correct. Maybe I should double-check the formulas with info posted on this forum, good call.

And yes, I was checking it while driving and it was staying closer to the 190s. I had cruise control and let it pull us up the hill at full power whenever it got up into the 220 and 230s. You are definitely correct that once it hit those Temps clearly a thermostat opened and dropped the temperature drastically in a hurry.
The base PIDs I am using originally came from a Tacoma Forum. Here are those formulas. See how they compare to the ones you are using.

For sensor 1 (Pan Temp):
OBD2 Mode and PID: 2182
Long Name: Transmission Pan Temp
Short Name: Trn Pam Tmp
Minimum Value: 0.0
Maximum value: 300.0
Scale factor: x1
Unit Type: F
Equation: ((((A*256)+B) * (7/100) 400)/10)
OBD Header to use: left blank

For sensor 2 (Converter outlet temp):
Long Name: Transmission Converter Temp
Short Name: Cnvtr Temp
Equation: ((((C*256)+D) * (7/100) 400)/10)

BTW, I seldom use the cruise control when climbing a hill (towing or not). I can control the Tundra throttle much better myself than the Cruise control can. It seems CC lets the speed drop a few MPH, then realizes it is going too slow and kicks in with higher RPMS and in some cases a downshift to get back up to the CC set speed. (not great for MPGs either) I can usually keep the RPMs in a tighter range manually and keep the tranny in overdrive longer which keeps the temps down somewhat. This is much easier to do when not towing.

FYI, I also used the Torque App in my old 2004 V8 4Runner especially when towing. IIRC I had to tweak that formula for the Tundra.

Charlie

2012 Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7L, Silver Sky Metallic, SR5 Pkg, Tow Pkg, OEM Towing Mirrors, Chrome Appearance Pkg, AM/FM/CD w/ MP3/WMA Playback, Rubber Flr Mats w/Door Sill Protector, A.R.E "CX" Cap, BedRug Bedliner, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Seatcovers, Westin 6" Oval Nerf Bars TWACCM #48

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlier View Post
The base PIDs I am using originally came from a Tacoma Forum. Here are those formulas. See how they compare to the ones you are using.

For sensor 1 (Pan Temp):

Long Name: Transmission Pan Temp

Short Name: Trn Pam Tmp

Equation: ((((A*256)+B) * (7/100) 400)/10)

For sensor 2 (Converter outlet temp):

Long Name: Transmission Converter Temp

Short Name: Cnvtr Temp

Equation: ((((C*256)+D) * (7/100) 400)/10)

BTW, I seldom use the cruise control when climbing a hill (towing or not). I can control the Tundra throttle much better myself than the Cruise control can. It seems CC lets the speed drop a few MPH, then realizes it is going too slow and kicks in with higher RPMS and in some cases a downshift to get back up to the CC set speed. (not great for MPGs either) I can usually keep the RPMs in a tighter range manually and keep the tranny in overdrive longer which keeps the temps down somewhat. This is much easier to do when not towing.

FYI, I also used the Torque App in my old 2004 V8 4Runner especially when towing. IIRC I had to tweak that formula for the Tundra.
Thanks for the share. These are the same settings I have in Torque as well.

I agree, babying it instead of using cruise control will definitely keep the temps down, but these temps just seemed excessive given the small size of the hill and the low outside temperature.

I'll be keeping Torque running this summer as I do some towing!

Last edited by Joseph Sanders; 03-19-2019 at 01:40 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Those temps are 100% normal. My fluid stays around those temp unloaded or loaded to the limit as below. The temp of the fluid after the torque converter greatly depends on lock up, during normal driving your torque converter only locks up in 5th and 6th gear. So when climbing a small grade your truck kicks out of overdrive and your torque converter unlocks and temp climb fast, but the pan temp should only raise a degree or two.
When I pull this load I manually shift into fourth gear before every grade because our tranny will lock up the converter if 4th is manually selected. 4th gear has plenty of power to pull most grades with the converter locked up, which mean the tranny fluid stays between 190-200 even pulling up grades loaded.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by seth lafleur; 03-21-2019 at 04:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to seth lafleur For This Useful Post:
Joseph Sanders (03-21-2019)

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth lafleur View Post
Those temps are 100% normal. My fluid stays around those temp unloaded or loaded to the limit as below. The temp of the fluid after the torque converter greatly depends on lock up, during normal driving your torque converter only locks up in 5th and 6th gear. So when climbing a small grade your truck kicks out of overdrive and your torque converter unlocks and temp climb fast, but the pan temp should only raise a degree or two.
When I pull this load I manually shift into fourth gear before every grade because our tranny will lock up the converter if 4th is manually selected. 4th gear has plenty of power to pull most grades with the converter locked up, which mean the tranny fluid stays between 190-200 even pulling up grades loaded.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Wow, that is a great tid-bit of information right there. Thank you for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in