Which would you tow Travel Trailer or 5er? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which would you tow Travel Trailer or 5er?

To make a long story short, I've got a 18 Tundra CrewMax Platinum.
Toyota Pressroom release says I can tow up to 9800 lbs, but other sources say 8900.

The wife wants a 5er (I don't blame her), and is willing to choose any of these 3 bunkhouse 5ers:

Palimino Puma
Dry Weight: 7424
GVWR: 9400
Pin Weight: 1240
Total Length: 30.5 ft
https://www.parrisrv.com/product/new...6rbss-918207-5

Jayco Eagle
Dry Weight: 7355
GVWR: 9995
Pin Weight: 1525
Total Length: 31.5 ft
https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth...h-wheel/26bhx/

Grand Design 290BH
Dry Weight: 8194
GVWR: 10195
Pin Weight: 1280
Total Length: 34 ft
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/290bh

The bumper pull options are similar to this (There are so many TT with nice bunks other stuff we like that I'll just list the two, but the specs are always around the same as these):

Grand Design 2800BH
Dry Weight: 6238
GVWR: 7995
Hitch Weight: 604
Total Length: 32 ft
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2800bh

Jayco Eagle HT
Dry Weight: 7990
GVWR: 9995
Hitch Weight: 980
Total Length: 35.5 ft
https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...ailer/284bhok/

Ok, now that you see the numbers here's my question:

Those with experience towing using the tundra, which would you rather pull? One of these 5ers listed or a travel trailer with similar specs as the two listed above (again, there are so many TT with that would have similar specs to these two, but I haven't found any 5th wheel bunkhouses lighter than the three listed here).

Here are my thoughts (in short, I'm leaning towards the 5er):
1. The travel trailers are really long considering that a 5er has some of the length in the bed, not hanging 8 inches off the bumper
2. 5ers pull nicer - less bucking and jolting.
3. The 5ers listed here aren't too much heavier than the TT listed here.
4. In a crosswind, I'd bet the TT will push us around more than the 5er.
5. The Puma comes in at 9400 gross, which is 500 over my max tow rating however, that's nearly 2000# over dry weight. Am I really going to put 2000# of crap in there?

And one other question. If you suggest the 5er, what hitch setup would you recommend? I'll admit that my brothers 350# auto slider hitch is not an option that I like - once it's in the bed, I'd need a crane to get it back out. I really like the anderson ultimate 5th wheel, but I'm concerned that I can't do that with the short bed crew max.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Garage

First of all, the 5ers you listed are very heavy and you will be way over your payload capacity with all of those. Numbers wise you would be better with the TT. But on every other point you are correct, the 5er wins.

I pull a livin lite 32í all aluminum 5th wheel toy hauler 6500lbs dry and itís supposed to have a 600lb pin weight. Iíve never actually weighed it but itís marketed as a half ton tow able.

Hitch wise, I have a B&W gooseneck hitch and use the Andersen ultimate 5th wheel. I wouldnít go any other way honestly. A couple minutes to install or remove by myself and it pushes the trailer back enough that I can almost go 90 degrees turning. Way more than a TT. I even clear my toolbox. If I got an offset ball I could probably go over 90 degrees but I fear Iíd start getting the weight too far back and have issues.

This was before airbags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mrmachinist; 02-24-2019 at 10:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
Ditchhooker (03-14-2019), Sam Talbot (02-25-2019)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
With the 5ers like said above you will be way over the payload rating on the truck. The Jayco hitch weight will cause you issues as well on your payload. My Grand design 297RSTS had an advertised hitch weight of 795 lbs, was delivered at nearly 100 lbs heavier. All loaded up I am at about 1300 - 1400 tongue weight and mostly just 2 of us. Kids are 23 and 21 and rarely come with us. I assume that with a bunk house you have kids so you need to account for their weight too.

If I were you and you (wife) likes all the trailers I would go with the Grand Design 2800BH. Very similar dry specs as my previous Rockwood and it towed very well. If you get a good Weight Distribution hitch with sway control such as a Reese Straightline and set it up properly per their directions cross winds and trucks will not be an issue with a TT. 32' is long but very will manageable with a Tundra. 5ers and a Tundra can be done and I am sure some with post that they do it but you will be way over payload.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calbar For This Useful Post:
Sam Talbot (02-25-2019)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Anderson hitch all the way, went with the reese undermount. we made sure we would be under our gvwr with our 5er (gd 295rl) but am slightly heavy on payload depending on how we travel. Been completely unloaded and then some to fully loaded on payload and could not tell the difference.
Ungraded tires (e rated) and rear shackles (do to lift). When it was time for brakes, went with hawk pads.
We pulled a 7500-8000 tt and perfer the 5er. Since payload went up I installed timbrens in the rear, only change I made.
Are you reading your truck numbers correctly? 8900 seams low unless the platinum is a 1000 lbs heavier out of the box. If 9800 you will be ok, but the jayco with over 1525 pin I would stay away from. Thats only 200 lbs +/- more then us but starts you out over your payload #. No way at that point to reduce it below if needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to banshee For This Useful Post:
Sam Talbot (02-25-2019)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Sam there is one question Iíd like to ask.

Would you be traveling a lot out west where the air is thin and mountains are present?

I do fine with our 5er as we have mostly used it for vacationing. Mostly a week or two at a time no further than 200-250miles one way. However, I have traveled with the 5er out to west Texas as thatís my home town. The one thing I recommend you do is get rid of the tires on the camper no matter what you buy as they are very cheap quality!!! I have caught my self putting two of everything because of being lazy to check if itís already in the camper! I have mostly driven down in the south were the air is thick and hills are generally minimal! I have a slider hitch by Reese itís a PRO 16k and in the beginning I use to move it but one day I told the wife to stand outside and watch when I was backing. I rolled the back glass down and kept an eye on it. Surprisingly since the fiver we have is not a wide body and has a round front cap I was able to turn enough to were a passenger in the back seat could read the vin number on the camper. So basically I donít move the hitch anymore!! Of course thatís with the model fifth wheel I have. Sadly I wish I would have known that before spending the extra money for the slider!

My truck is a 2015 tundra crewmax SR5 TSS OFF ROAD
My camper is a 2015 heritage glen 337Bar.

Last edited by Blender; 02-24-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
towing rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee View Post
Are you reading your truck numbers correctly? 8900 seams low unless the platinum is a 1000 lbs heavier out of the box. If 9800 you will be ok, but the jayco with over 1525 pin I would stay away from. Thats only 200 lbs +/- more then us but starts you out over your payload #. No way at that point to reduce it below if needed.
I agree completely, I don't get this myself...
So if you look here: https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...+info.download you will see it say 9800# 4x4 crewmax.

But if you look here: https://www.toyota.com/content/ebroc..._ebrochure.pdf on page 27 under plat crewmax 4x4 it says 8800.

Honestly, I don't get it, so I contacted toyota and they replied back with tire size and suspension differences between the SR5 and the higher trims reduced the towing capacity.
I still don't actually get that. The aspect ratio of the 18 wheel compared to the 20 wheel makes the truck the same height between the sr5 and the platinum (my co-worker has the sr5, and we are at the same height). So are they saying that if I change my suspension, I can now pull 1000# more?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thin Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Sam there is one question Iíd like to ask.

Would you be traveling a lot out west where the air is thin and mountains are present?
Yes, I'm out west, and mountains are where we like to go camp the most. Idaho, Utah, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, possibly one day Montana.

I'm told thin air makes it hard for naturally aspirated. However, does it make it nicer for pulling due to reduced drag?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks MrMachinist. I may not like the news you bring, but I appreciate your response and honesty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Talbot For This Useful Post:
mrmachinist (02-25-2019)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Yea, if your in the mountains and love the traveling amongst them, I would definitely stay under the limits or los lightly. The 5ers your looking at seem to be good. Thin are and normally aspirated are no good. Other than that the truck is a solid truck!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
If at all possible I would go with a 5vr.
Having owned both and presently own a 33' TT; a 5vr seem to make better use of space.
Good luck on your choice and travels.

2003 F-250 7.3 XLT-traded for 2014 4Runner TE Prem.
2010 F-150 gone for a 14' CM, 4x4, 5.7L, Barcelona Red, Tan interior TSS Pkg.>2018 F-250 XLT FX4 6.2L

Going down in a pile of brass, Jack!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Talbot View Post
Thanks MrMachinist. I may not like the news you bring, but I appreciate your response and honesty.

Look into livin lite or ATC campers. All aluminum and light weight. Ours has 2 queen beds, the dinette turns into a king and the couch is close to a full. They arenít the fanciest trailers in the works but durable and light. Iím not sure of your bed requirements though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Talbot View Post
I agree completely, I don't get this myself...
So if you look here: https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...+info.download you will see it say 9800# 4x4 crewmax.

But if you look here: https://www.toyota.com/content/ebroc..._ebrochure.pdf on page 27 under plat crewmax 4x4 it says 8800.

Honestly, I don't get it, so I contacted toyota and they replied back with tire size and suspension differences between the SR5 and the higher trims reduced the towing capacity.
I still don't actually get that. The aspect ratio of the 18 wheel compared to the 20 wheel makes the truck the same height between the sr5 and the platinum (my co-worker has the sr5, and we are at the same height). So are they saying that if I change my suspension, I can now pull 1000# more?
I don't know who you talked to at "Toyota" but I'd be more willing to bet the added 270lbs of weight to the Plat vs. the stripper is mostly due to the interior features (sunroof, electric seats, more speakers, etc) and the gas tank holding another 12.4 gallons (74.4lbs). Add the exterior difference of the second set of doors, power rear window, rear seat, longer frame etc from the SR5 shortbed numbers (because that's not necessarily a CM) On your Plat, it def is CM though. I think you're comparing a singlecab shortbed to the optioned out CM, in other words.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Rent a few from Outdoorsy (if you want a promo code for $75 off, pm me) and see how the bumper pull models in that weight range handle. You may find (as I did) that even a 5000lb bunkhouse model is far too much trailer for our needs, and it's kinda a hassle to be bigger than you need...

I'm currently doing all the research needed to make a move into a nomadic lifestyle once the last kid is gone. As a multi-year long experiment, we're doing lots of little trips in lots of different brands, sizes and styles. I really want to keep the Tundra for 1M miles, and that means at least a decade of full-time travel. We def don't want to be in a situation where our trailer dictates our next truck purchase. I've decided to let the cheap part of the equation, the trailer, be flexible. We will use that info to decide what trailer matches our needs and the far more expensive truck.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:44 PM
He Has Risen!

Thanked 17,192 Times in 8,068 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Garage
Crewmax and double cab are the same length/frame dimensions.
On the 2nd gen Tundra, the Crewmax was approx 600 lbs heavier than the double cab, all else being equal.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All those 5ers have too much pin weight for your truck....stay with bumper pull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in