Which would you tow Travel Trailer or 5er? - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=Aaron713;9422944]Rent a few from Outdoorsy (if you want a promo code for $75 off, pm me) and see how the bumper pull models in that weight range handle. You may find (as I did) that even a 5000lb bunkhouse model is far too much trailer for our needs, and it's kinda a hassle to be bigger than you need...

Brilliant idea to rent before you purchase. People should do the same with cars.

Live with passion. Give life your best. Mediocre sucks.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don’t buy a Jayco. Watch the YouTube video where the workers are literally running to “build” them. Guess where they get the energy to run like that? Jaycos #1 priority is to crank out as many as they can as fast as they can. They’ll deal with the resulting issues after you buy it.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have only pulled TT's, but the last one I had was 32 ft Jayco Jayfeather and it had a much lower roof height which made it MUCH easier to pull due to the lower wind resistance. The 5er's and most slide out TT's are extremely tall and push a lot of wind. And that just makes towing more difficult. The Jayfeather had smaller slide outs and a low frame height, and thus lower roof height. It was a nice trailer.

I found the with the Tundra anti sway rear suspension design that the TT was very nice to pull. I have pulled them with Chevy 2500's, Ford F-150's, and Suburbans, but the Tundra is a whole different game. It is way better and more comfortable. I even accidentally left the friction sway bar off once and I could not tell the difference. It stays nice and straight even in strong cross winds, does not get pulled into semi's, just stays nice and straight. You can feel the trailer moving around some, but it requires almost no input from teh drive to stay nice and straight.

So, I suggest going with a TT that has a low roof height.

Also, with the TT, you can use the spring bars to level everything out and you don't need air bags or other suspension upgrades to carry the extra weight of a 5er.

When adjusted and set up right, a TT and weight distributing height works very nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikecol For This Useful Post:
Sam Talbot (02-27-2019)

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I pull a 5er 10,000 lbs which pulls better then my old tt at 8,000 lbs., handles better and gets 1 1/2 mpg more. At some point you forget its back there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to banshee For This Useful Post:
Blender (02-28-2019), Sam Talbot (02-27-2019)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Read the RV website threads regarding campers to get a clearer picture of the pros and cons of each type of trailer. A 5th wheel provides a shorter turning radius which helps when making turns and for backing into a campsite (national forest campgrounds tend to have spaces that require backing into them.

For my part I prefer a travel trailer as it leaves the rear of the truck completely free. Lots more options for having a shell and a rack to mount a small boat, kayaks, or bicycles. Lots of room (as in 4'x6.5' x 40" of space in the bed with the shell and all the gear is secure. With a 10,000 lb 5th wheel pulled by a 3/4 or 1 ton truck there is storage space below the main floor or deck that is usable.

Something else to consider is that there are more steps and one has to climb up into a 5th wheel with its living space higher off the ground. This was a common complaint I heard from people.

Go to any large campground or RV park in your area and spend time talking to people about what they like and dislike about their current RV. I have found most people to be very candid as to the strengths and weaknesses of their current camper or RV.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Talbot View Post
I agree completely, I don't get this myself...
So if you look here: https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...+info.download you will see it say 9800# 4x4 crewmax.

But if you look here: https://www.toyota.com/content/ebroc..._ebrochure.pdf on page 27 under plat crewmax 4x4 it says 8800.

Honestly, I don't get it, so I contacted toyota and they replied back with tire size and suspension differences between the SR5 and the higher trims reduced the towing capacity.
I still don't actually get that. The aspect ratio of the 18 wheel compared to the 20 wheel makes the truck the same height between the sr5 and the platinum (my co-worker has the sr5, and we are at the same height). So are they saying that if I change my suspension, I can now pull 1000# more?
I know my 2014 Tundra DC Limited is 9900 lbs. of towing capacity and 980 lb. of hitch weight capacity. But every year I get my new yearly Trailer Life towing guide the towing rating keeps going down for the Tundra's across the board. Now a 2019 version of my truck is down to 9100. It lists the 2019 Platinum Crew at a dismal 8800 of towing capacity. I have also "contacted" Toyota and they don't have any answers. I ask to talk to a "technical" person in the Truck division, but she says She is the only one I can talk to...When you have to "explain" towing terminological, and she is reading off a computer screen, it's worth-less continuing.

Fully loaded I'm close to 8,000 lbs (6600 dry) on my 28'8" RV travel trailer. (2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24rks) I'm 20% under, but very close on the Tundra's 980 lbs hitch capacity. I can't see being legal, towing a 5th is in the cards.

** as mentioned above, we too went from a 10' tall RV trailer to a 11'6" tall unit. Yes, I do know its back there. But I have never had to go to "full throttle" to get up any hill. I had a good test this summer exiting the Fundy National Park in New Brunswick Canada. 200' after exiting the campground there is a 1200' climb of 10-12% starting off with two "S" curves. So you have "zero" running start. It actually surprised me going up at 3/4 throttle / 45 mph (speed limit) at 4200 rpm's...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2791.jpg (206.7 KB, 28 views)

14' Tundra Limited 5.7

Last edited by superslif; 02-28-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the posts.

I recently came across this one. What do you all think?

2405BHDB
https://winnebagoind.com/products/fi...specifications
GVWR: 7700lbs
Pin Weight: TBD
Dry Weight: TBD
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
nice looking units, probably going to be around 1k Pin weight though. 15%-20% of GVW is typically used for pin wights, bumper pull is typically 10%-15%

07 Limited 5.7L 2WD DCRB - billet grille, folding rear seat backs, BAmuffler, Painted TRD rims, AMP research Bed step
2018 Grand Designs Imagine 2250RK
Tundra Campers Club #35
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:46 PM

With an RV the black water tank capacity is what usually determines when you have to hit a dump station. Easy to get more drinking water and options for the dealing with the grey water.

Don't do the 15K BTU AC upgrade as more BTU's makes for a less efficient air conditioner that will run for less time and be much less effective in removing moisture from the air and cooling the inside of the trailer.

For my part buying a new trailer that is going to depreciate 25% the first year is not something I would ever do. You can pay for your first several years of travel by getting a used trailer from someone on Craigslist.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Garage
If you are down in the south I recommend getting as much AC as you can get. Last summer ours couldnít keep up when we were parked in the sun on a 100 degree day. It was around 90 in the camper with both the 15k and 13.5k ACs running. Talk about miserable.

All I can say is lighter is better. Iím going to try to weigh mine soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:58 PM
KMG

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I went with a Winnebago Micro Mini 2405RL fifth wheel. It's dry weight is 5,500 and has a pin weight of 1,060 plus it's 7 feet wide. I added a B&W Drop ball gooseneck hitch and use the Anderson Ultimate plus Firestone RideRite air bags. This is a perfect set up for us. Light, Maneuverable, Plenty of power in reserve. We have the rear living model but it does come in a bunkhouse plan.

Last edited by KMG; 03-14-2019 at 09:22 PM.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 PM

The problem with too much AC capacity is that they cool the temperature down and and then shut off and the short duty cycles are not effective in pulling the moisture out of the air. Same applies to houses where builders over spec the AC units and then the owners wonder why they are uncomfortable during the summer months.

Many RVer's want to carry bicycles or a small boat or kayaks or camp furniture or firewood and other miscellaneous items and this is much easier with a travel trailer that leave the bed of the truck free. Add a shell and a roof rack and you have lots of inexpensive options for carrying the essential "extras".

With any RV there are popular models which makes it easier to find used one and save 25% and easier to learn about any problems with the equipment they use (pumps, AC, fridge, plumbing, inverter, generator, axles, tires, etc). and when it comes time to sell it there will be more people interested in buying it.

All the main RV forums have subforums for the different brands or makes of trailers and motorhomes. Best place to learn in advance of your purchase about possible problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in