Towing Travel Trailer gets harder 2 hours into the trip - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm going to check the wheels & brakes on the trailer to see if there's some issues there before we go out again next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I just pulled a travel trailer (31 feet, from ball to back bumper, 12ft tall, 5000lbs) from SLC to LV (450ish mi) and I noticed the same thing around 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Truck just doesnt want to get into 5th at 65, when it had been acting normal for 200 miles. Mine is a '18 Platinum, on stock wheels and tires. Even with 400lbs of people, 230 of fuel and another possible 500lbs of assorted nonsense, we're well within specs. And it acts like it for a long time. Until it doesn't anymore.
I sort of shrugged it off as heat soak related; maybe something with a transmission temp parameter that limits the upshift from 4th, since the torque converter only locks up in 5th and 6th gear. But then I found a piece of info in the AB60E and F transmission documentation that says "lock up operation is performed when the 4th gear is held during the AI-SHIFT control or the cruise control". Maybe that's the same for the A750s.... I was using the radar cruise for nearly all of the trip, basically unless heading down a long hill towards a curve. So next time, I'll turn off cruise when the truck seems to be working harder as an investigation of more symptoms. I gotta say though, except for the noise, the truck was rolling along just fine at 4000rpm in 4th, up and down hills, into or with wind. I am also very thankful for my traveling companions: Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones. A miracle of technology.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron713 For This Useful Post:
Sam Talbot (02-25-2019)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron713 View Post
I just pulled a travel trailer (31 feet, from ball to back bumper, 12ft tall, 5000lbs) from SLC to LV (450ish mi) and I noticed the same thing around 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Truck just doesnt want to get into 5th at 65, when it had been acting normal for 200 miles. Mine is a '18 Platinum, on stock wheels and tires. Even with 400lbs of people, 230 of fuel and another possible 500lbs of assorted nonsense, we're well within specs. And it acts like it for a long time. Until it doesn't anymore.
I sort of shrugged it off as heat soak related; maybe something with a transmission temp parameter that limits the upshift from 4th, since the torque converter only locks up in 5th and 6th gear. But then I found a piece of info in the AB60E and F transmission documentation that says "lock up operation is performed when the 4th gear is held during the AI-SHIFT control or the cruise control". Maybe that's the same for the A750s.... I was using the radar cruise for nearly all of the trip, basically unless heading down a long hill towards a curve. So next time, I'll turn off cruise when the truck seems to be working harder as an investigation of more symptoms. I gotta say though, except for the noise, the truck was rolling along just fine at 4000rpm in 4th, up and down hills, into or with wind. I am also very thankful for my traveling companions: Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones. A miracle of technology.
Thanks for this info - you have the same setup as I do, and likely traveling the same roads (I was heading south on 15 till I took highway 6 towards capitol reef.)
I'll have to try turning off the cruise if it happens again and see what happens.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in