Inquiry About Towing My Trailer - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Inquiry About Towing My Trailer

Truck is a 2018 SR5 Plus 5.7L V8 (TRD OffRoad Package) 4x4 double cab. A couple months old .
I know it is early to be thinking about camping but I am curious if I will be able to just hook up to my R-Pod camper trailer and go or will I have to use the load levelling hitch which I had to use pulling it with my Dodge Grand Caravan . I really want to get away from hooking up that cumbersome hitch. Dealer said I will not need it at all for that trailer on the Tundra .
My R-Pod weighs 2418 pounds empty but I have very few pounds of weight in it and I never travel with water in the tank. I always fill with fresh water upon arrival and drain any left over water when leaving. .
The tongue weight is 245 pounds
So , thinking ahead , and with these specs in mind , I am curious as to what suggestions I am going to get from some of you Tundra owners .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 PM
He Has Risen!

Thanked 17,047 Times in 7,993 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3317 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyo View Post
5.7L V8
Trailer weighs 2418
tongue weight is 245
You won't even know it's back there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
barnyo (01-04-2019), Powertechn2 (01-04-2019)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
X2
The Following User Says Thank You to Blender For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-04-2019)

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I tow my boat and trailer it weighs around 5-5500 and have no issues towing. I know itís not a travel trailer but the weight wonít be felt back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wakechango For This Useful Post:
barnyo (01-05-2019), Powertechn2 (01-04-2019)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Garage
My utility trailer and mower weighs more than your r pod. Donít worry about it. Hook up and go, you will hardly notice itís back there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
As others indicated, you will be fine. I tow over 6,000 pounds and do just fine on a standard hitch.

2017 CM LTD 4x4 TRD
The Following User Says Thank You to AZBoatHauler For This Useful Post:
barnyo (01-05-2019)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks .Sounds encouraging .
I use the truck in drive all the time now but over to the left and bottom there is another spot that I understand is a tow/hall setting. Supposedly to keep it from changing gears as soon when pulling a trailer. Mine will not go into that setting on the shift lever . It just springs back to the Drive position.Is there something a person needs to do to activate that function for towing or heavy hauling ? Or is it something that should be checked out by the dealer seeing as it doesn't engage into that setting .

Last edited by barnyo; 01-04-2019 at 01:10 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks .Sounds encouraging .
I use the truck in drive all the time now but over to the left and bottom there is another spot that I understand is a tow/hall setting. Supposedly to keep it from changing gears as soon when pulling a trailer. Mine will not go into that setting on the shift lever . It just springs back to the Drive position.Is there something a person needs to do to activate that function for towing or heavy hauling ? Or is it something that should be checked out by the dealer seeing as it doesn't engage into that setting .
I think you are confusing two separate features. The truck's tow/haul mode is activated by a button on the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. That will change the shift programming and will minimize the shifting in higher gears and hold the lower gears to higher RPM. It will also change the throttle mapping so your gas pedal will be much more responsive.

The feature on the actual gear shift will limit your top gear. In other words, if you set it to S4, it will not shift into gears 5 or 6. Your shifter should not bounce back over to drive when you slide it over to S mode. If it does not stay put, you should have the dealer see why it is not working properly.

2017 CM LTD 4x4 TRD
The Following User Says Thank You to AZBoatHauler For This Useful Post:
barnyo (01-05-2019)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBoatHauler View Post
I think you are confusing two separate features. The truck's tow/haul mode is activated by a button on the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. That will change the shift programming and will minimize the shifting in higher gears and hold the lower gears to higher RPM. It will also change the throttle mapping so your gas pedal will be much more responsive.

The feature on the actual gear shift will limit your top gear. In other words, if you set it to S4, it will not shift into gears 5 or 6. Your shifter should not bounce back over to drive when you slide it over to S mode. If it does not stay put, you should have the dealer see why it is not working properly.
Thanks for all that information . I understand what you are saying now .I even went out and tried that Tow/Haul button on the dash and it indeed showed up in the instrument panel as being on.

But that S-D position still bounces right back into Drive position any time I try it so I had better have that looked after when I am in the city at the nearest Toyota dealer 125 km from home .
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:33 PM

Thanked 10,689 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Are you pulling the shifter over far enough? If you do not fully go to that gate, it will go back. Once in that gate it should allow you to move forward (higher gear limit), backwards (Lower).

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
barnyo (01-05-2019)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
Are you pulling the shifter over far enough? If you do not fully go to that gate, it will go back. Once in that gate it should allow you to move forward (higher gear limit), backwards (Lower).
I just now went on a little test drive out the highway for that and I feel so foolish in reporting that it was all operator error on my part .So many cool features I am still finding out about this vehicle. That shift system is operating exactly as it should be. Thanks for all the great help on this site .
The Following User Says Thank You to barnyo For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-04-2019)
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
My utility trailer and mower weighs more than your r pod. Donít worry about it. Hook up and go, you will hardly notice itís back there.

Is your utility trailer single or double axle.
I know the truck will have tons of power for my trailer and with only 245 pound tongue weight and the heavy duty suspension , the truck will probably think a fly sat on the hitch .
My main concern was about sway. I looked at other makes and models before I got the Tundra and they all had coil springs in the back whereas Tundra has leaf springs which "should" be better for controlling sway . My trailer is only single axle and some locals are telling me I will probably have a problem with sway if I don't use the load levelling hitch with the sway bar on it. But they are not Tundra owners at all so are just taking a guess .
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Is your utility trailer single or double axle.

I know the truck will have tons of power for my trailer and with only 245 pound tongue weight and the heavy duty suspension , the truck will probably think a fly sat on the hitch .

My main concern was about sway. I looked at other makes and models before I got the Tundra and they all had coil springs in the back whereas Tundra has leaf springs which "should" be better for controlling sway . My trailer is only single axle and some locals are telling me I will probably have a problem with sway if I don't use the load levelling hitch with the sway bar on it. But they are not Tundra owners at all so are just taking a guess .

My utility trailer is a double axle. No sway issues. Iíve towed small single axle trailers, boats, bumper pull dump trailers, gooseneck equipment trailers, bumper pull campers, and I have a 5th wheel camper I pull regularly. I tow a lot with my Tundra.

Sway is typically cause by not enough tongue weight . I doubt you will have a problem. If you do try to add some weight to the younger via water or propane tanks if the setup of you camper allows for that. Worst case scenario, add a friction sway bar or Andersenís chain WD hitch which acts as a sway control as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
barnyo (01-05-2019)
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
My utility trailer is a double axle. No sway issues. I’ve towed small single axle trailers, boats, bumper pull dump trailers, gooseneck equipment trailers, bumper pull campers, and I have a 5th wheel camper I pull regularly. I tow a lot with my Tundra.

Sway is typically cause by not enough tongue weight . I doubt you will have a problem. If you do try to add some weight to the younger via water or propane tanks if the setup of you camper allows for that. Worst case scenario, add a friction sway bar or Andersen’s chain WD hitch which acts as a sway control as well.

OK , thanks for that info. I can't add tongue weight by means of water in the trailer tank because the tank on the trailer is behind the axle which is why I always drove with it empty when using the Dodge Grand Caravan . I had to use the WD hitch which included a sway bar on the side of it for the mini van and I was so hoping that I would not need to hook that stuff up every time with the Tundra .Lots of great information on this site and I suppose I will just have to wait until spring and try it without the WD hitch and decide then whether I can get by without it . I was hoping I would be able to sell the WD hitch and be a happy camper without it but I will wait until after trying without it before deciding to keep it or not .

I had heard that there was some sort of sway correction built into Tundra's but I don't know if that is standard equipment or an accessory .

Last edited by barnyo; 01-04-2019 at 03:38 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Currently, I haul a 23' weekend warrior which is about 7k pounds fully loaded with my RZR, and WDH. It pulls like a dream, even up the steep grade out of the desert. I also towed a car hauler style open trailer with a sandrail (~3k pounds total) WITHOUT a WDH, and it was fine. I wouldn't think you would need a WDH for yours either.

Heres a little visual aid for the weight distribution MrMachinst was talking about. You could always add a trailer box or propane tanks if needed to compensate for the water tank being behind the axle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrownMike For This Useful Post:
barnyo (01-05-2019), mrmachinist (01-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in