Trailer Connecting Plug... - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
BCB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 304
Thanks: 4
Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Trailer Connecting Plug...

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

I looked on this site to try to find a connector that is the same as the one on my 2018 Tundra…

It seems the one on the Tundra is a 7-way plug? But, I can’t find a pic of one that is the same as on the truck…

Would anyone know what each blade in the plug does? I.E. right turning signal, left turning signal, running and tail lights, etc…

I can’t find anything in the manual…

Thanks…BCB
BCB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
Azblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,587
Thanks: 7,289
Thanked 16,926 Times in 7,968 Posts
Mentioned: 777 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Garage
It's a standard 7-pin plug. Just Google "7 pin trailer" and there are tons of pics.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Save The Chrome Club #1
SAVE THE CHROME!!!
Azblue is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: I'm Just Outside of Weird, TX
Posts: 1,076
Thanks: 265
Thanked 655 Times in 441 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

I looked on this site to try to find a connector that is the same as the one on my 2018 Tundra…

It seems the one on the Tundra is a 7-way plug? But, I can’t find a pic of one that is the same as on the truck…

Would anyone know what each blade in the plug does? I.E. right turning signal, left turning signal, running and tail lights, etc…

I can’t find anything in the manual…

Thanks…BCB
Your Tundra should have two plastic connector doors at the rear bumper...one door covers a standard four wire connector, and the other door covers a standard seven wire connector. The owner manual doesn't cover how to use trailer connectors because the connectors are all the same; if you've used one seven wire connector, you've used them all (if they've been wired correctly).

You can't get them connected improperly...there's a big fat rib at the 12 o'clock position on the seven wire connector that will only allow it to be connected one way. Same for the four wire connector. Toyota has already done the wiring on the truck side. If your trailer/RV has an existing seven wire connector, it should already be wired to interface properly with the truck connector.

The link you reference shows wiring diagrams for connector pin functions down the page. Outside view is the view of the connector pins looking into the connector. Indicated wire colors vary but the functions at the pin positions are universal to all connectors; e.g. on the truck, the right turn signal and stop light pin is the one at 3 o'clock, tail and running light pin is at the eleven o'clock. Twelve volt power to the trailer is at 1 o'clock.

If your truck has the "tow package", then your Tundra should also have the Toyota brake controller wired in. If you don't have the "tow package" then you'll have to add an aftermarket brake controller if the trailer you're pulling has a seven pin connector. There are threads here about installing aftermarket brake controllers...do the search.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats
OldGuy43 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
polaris425's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 168
Thanks: 21
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
As mentioned above they are pretty standard.

http://www.gastrailer.com/wp-content...-connector.jpg

That should be correct. The flap on the plug on your truck should have a diagram on it.


2018 Tundra CM Limited 4x4
polaris425 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:51 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just a note of caution, the 7 wire trailer connector comes in two flavors; pin connector or blade connector. They are not interchangeable!

My 2012 Sequoia has a blade connector and I would assume all other Tundra/Sequoia in similar years would also have this type.

Browse around the sites others have provided in this thread and you will see pictures/diagrams for both types. Once you do this, it should be apparent what type you have in your vehicle and how it is wired.


Greg
greghoro is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
BCB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 304
Thanks: 4
Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
O.K. I got it!!!...

I probably confused those who replied as to my motive to the question…

As polaris425 mentioned, there is a diagram on the cover of both the 4-pin and 7-blade connectors—this I didn’t see…

I tow a small trailer to haul my garden tractor—it uses the 4-pin connector. Yesterday I noticed I had no marker/running lights, but I had everything else…

So, I tested the brown wire on the vehicle side of the plug and no current there…

So, in my analytical mind (!!!), I thought I would check to see if the same problem exists with the 7-blade connector. This is why I needed to know the wiring for that plug. IT DOES. So, there must be a problem with the wire that supplies both connectors for the marker/running lights…

Maybe they run one brown line and it feeds both connectors?...

Regardless, I have no marker/running lights with the 4-pin one and I suspect if a person had a trailer that used the 7-blade one, there would be no marker/running lights either…

I wonder if there are fuses to protect each blade/pin in the connectors. Maybe the one for the brown marker/running lights is blown?...

I really don’t want to take this 2018 Tundra back to Toyota for this problem without some information as to what I think the problem might be. Either way it will be 2 trips there I suppose. As long as I have brake and turning signals, which I do, I will let it go until service time…

I have 3200+ miles on the truck…

Suggestions on the fuses will be gladly accepted...

Thanks all—we got where we were going in a round-about way…

BCB
BCB is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
polaris425's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 168
Thanks: 21
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Yes start by checking fuses...

I have not checked mine (2018) as I only have 1000+ miles on it so far, and haven't towed anything yet. I should probably check them.

2018 Tundra CM Limited 4x4
polaris425 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
BCB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 304
Thanks: 4
Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris425 View Post
Yes start by checking fuses...

I have not checked mine (2018) as I only have 1000+ miles on it so far, and haven't towed anything yet. I should probably check them.
I don't think it is a "from the factory" problem...

I actually had the marker/running lights for several journeys with the trailer, then they were gone...

I will need to get the fuse diagram and see if I can figure those things out!!!...

Thanks...BCB
BCB is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Senior Member
 
riccnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central CT
Posts: 1,864
Thanks: 13,814
Thanked 1,771 Times in 937 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
There's a separate fuse under the hood for the trailer marker lights, I've had mine go out just from trying to unplug a stiff trailer plug from the truck, where I had to work the plug back and forth to get it out.

New EnglandTundra Club Member #10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
Hemi eTorque 4x4
12" Uconnect, Air Ride, Pano Roof
Dearly Missed: 2010 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7l, TRD Off Road, 4WD Silver Sky Metallic
Front only Bilstein 5100's at top setting
TRD Rock Warrior Wheels LT 285/70R17E BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's
riccnick is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
BCB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 304
Thanks: 4
Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccnick View Post
There's a separate fuse under the hood for the trailer marker lights, I've had mine go out just from trying to unplug a stiff trailer plug from the truck, where I had to work the plug back and forth to get it out.
That sounds very familiar!!! I put some of that electrical grease (for lack of what the stuff is actually called) on the prongs on the trailer side. It almost took a pair of pliers to insert and remove the plug...

Guess I'll take a look for the fuse...

Thanks...BCB
BCB is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
 
McGovTundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Burpinham, Babalama
Posts: 1,182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 528 Times in 360 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
That sounds very familiar!!! I put some of that electrical grease (for lack of what the stuff is actually called) on the prongs on the trailer side. It almost took a pair of pliers to insert and remove the plug...

Guess I'll take a look for the fuse...

Thanks...BCB
Dielectric Grease....I do believe Sir.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
McGovTundra is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:15 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Edit - whoops, looks like 7 way doesn't work properly either

Plan B - for less than $10, you can purchase a 7 into 4 trailer wiring adapter.


Greg

Last edited by greghoro; 05-30-2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Didn't read previous posts completely.
greghoro is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
polaris425's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 168
Thanks: 21
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGovTundra View Post
Dielectric Grease....I do believe Sir.

It's good stuff, just can't use TOO much, b/c it doesn't conduct. So you can actually limit contact if you use too much. (Been there done that)

Though, since the OP is having trouble with both plugs I doubt he used too much.

Anytime I bought a new ATV, one of the first things I did was unplug everything and put a tiny dab in there...

2018 Tundra CM Limited 4x4
polaris425 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to polaris425 For This Useful Post:
riccnick (05-30-2018)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:02 AM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member
 
RRzxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Under the stairs
Posts: 6,317
Thanks: 341
Thanked 10,225 Times in 4,463 Posts
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
O.K. I got it!!!...

I probably confused those who replied as to my motive to the question…

As polaris425 mentioned, there is a diagram on the cover of both the 4-pin and 7-blade connectors—this I didn’t see…

I tow a small trailer to haul my garden tractor—it uses the 4-pin connector. Yesterday I noticed I had no marker/running lights, but I had everything else…

So, I tested the brown wire on the vehicle side of the plug and no current there…

So, in my analytical mind (!!!), I thought I would check to see if the same problem exists with the 7-blade connector. This is why I needed to know the wiring for that plug. IT DOES. So, there must be a problem with the wire that supplies both connectors for the marker/running lights…

Maybe they run one brown line and it feeds both connectors?...

Regardless, I have no marker/running lights with the 4-pin one and I suspect if a person had a trailer that used the 7-blade one, there would be no marker/running lights either…

I wonder if there are fuses to protect each blade/pin in the connectors. Maybe the one for the brown marker/running lights is blown?...

I really don’t want to take this 2018 Tundra back to Toyota for this problem without some information as to what I think the problem might be. Either way it will be 2 trips there I suppose. As long as I have brake and turning signals, which I do, I will let it go until service time…

I have 3200+ miles on the truck…

Suggestions on the fuses will be gladly accepted...

Thanks all—we got where we were going in a round-about way…

BCB
I would also check the trailer wiring for the marker lights.
If it turns out to be a fuse, there's a reason it blew.
They don't exactly use the best wire, lights or connections on trailers.
RRzxter is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
riccnick (05-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome