LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
5th wheel or bumper pull

Ok so I have a 2014 Tundra Limited Crewmax 4x4, I have seen several threads about using a 5th wheel with the crew max is not a good idea but they where several years old. Does anyone know if this can be done safely with the new 1/2 ton 5th wheels and sliding hitches or king pin extensions or is it just completely unsafe, if so what are you guys hauling and how long are your bumper pulls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Hey Bryan I have a 15 crewmax and I tow a 40í fifth wheel, I also have another buddy on here that has the 2007 model and he toes the exact same fifth wheel I do.. I mean I have a slider hitch by Reese and when I first started using the fifth wheel I always slide it back to maneuvering and one day I said why am I doing this. I made my wife stand outside while I had it in the towing position meaning the hitch all the way close to the cab of the truck and I backed the fifth wheel into my driveway and kept turning while she looked and it got close but never touched. Iíd say maybe two to three inches and Iíve never moved the hitch again after that.

If you want some pictures let me know and Iíll pm you or reply them to you.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Garage
I recently got a 34í 5th wheel and I pull it with my Ď13 crewmax.

I am using a B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch in combination with an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection. I can almost turn 90 degrees. I even clear my cross bed tool box.

My setup has has a few advantages over a traditional 5th wheel. First is weight, it only weighs 30lbs and takes a couple minutes to install and remove to have full use of your bed. It also does away with the slack in a kingpin to eliminate the bucking that can occur. Another advantage is that it moves the kingpin back about 10Ē to help with clearance.

Iím new to the 5th wheel world. But Iím happy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
bryan87smith (02-07-2018)

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Hey Bryan I have a 15 crewmax and I tow a 40í fifth wheel, I also have another buddy on here that has the 2007 model and he toes the exact same fifth wheel I do.. I mean I have a slider hitch by Reese and when I first started using the fifth wheel I always slide it back to maneuvering and one day I said why am I doing this. I made my wife stand outside while I had it in the towing position meaning the hitch all the way close to the cab of the truck and I backed the fifth wheel into my driveway and kept turning while she looked and it got close but never touched. Iíd say maybe two to three inches and Iíve never moved the hitch again after that.

If you want some pictures let me know and Iíll pm you or reply them to you.
Thanks for the info man and yes some pictures would be great. Also what kind of 5er do you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
I recently got a 34í 5th wheel and I pull it with my Ď13 crewmax.

I am using a B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch in combination with an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection. I can almost turn 90 degrees. I even clear my cross bed tool box.

My setup has has a few advantages over a traditional 5th wheel. First is weight, it only weighs 30lbs and takes a couple minutes to install and remove to have full use of your bed. It also does away with the slack in a kingpin to eliminate the bucking that can occur. Another advantage is that it moves the kingpin back about 10Ē to help with clearance.

Iím new to the 5th wheel world. But Iím happy so far.

Thanks mrmachinist, looks good to me what trailer is that.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan87smith View Post
Thanks for the info man and yes some pictures would be great. Also what kind of 5er do you have.

You should get them shortly
The Following User Says Thank You to Blender For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks mrmachinist, looks good to me what trailer is that.

Itís a Ď14 Livin lite quicksilver vrv. All aluminum toy hauler only 6500lb dry.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Itís a Ď14 Livin lite quicksilver vrv. All aluminum toy hauler only 6500lb dry.

Thanks

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
mrmachinist, can you keep us/me updated on how well that setup works for you?

I've driven both 5th wheels and bumper pulls - the 5er ALWAYS has been an easier more comfortable pull, but in a short bed crewmax, the slider hitch is too much of a hassle to want to deal with. This seems like the perfect solution to that problem.

For the OP - in my limited experience of pulling bumper and 5ers - The 5er is better in just about every way. When you think about it - it's always going to handle better for a few reasons:
1. The turning/pivot point is over the rear axle, so while it will behave differently, IMO it's a better different.
2. There's a sh*t ton of weight in the bed of the truck - which is where its supposed to be. Trucks are designed for weight to be in the bed of the pickup - not so much on the rear bumper.
3. The weight is distributed right over the rear axle. Just beef up the suspension and you should be good to go.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Talbot View Post
mrmachinist, can you keep us/me updated on how well that setup works for you?

I've driven both 5th wheels and bumper pulls - the 5er ALWAYS has been an easier more comfortable pull, but in a short bed crewmax, the slider hitch is too much of a hassle to want to deal with. This seems like the perfect solution to that problem.

For the OP - in my limited experience of pulling bumper and 5ers - The 5er is better in just about every way. When you think about it - it's always going to handle better for a few reasons:
1. The turning/pivot point is over the rear axle, so while it will behave differently, IMO it's a better different.
2. There's a sh*t ton of weight in the bed of the truck - which is where its supposed to be. Trucks are designed for weight to be in the bed of the pickup - not so much on the rear bumper.
3. The weight is distributed right over the rear axle. Just beef up the suspension and you should be good to go.
Yeah I agree those are the main reasons I would rather have a 5er plus hauling a 30 foot bumper pull just seems like it would be a pain in the butt

The Following User Says Thank You to bryan87smith For This Useful Post:
richardabe (06-19-2018)
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hey mrmachinist what is the hitch weight on that particular trailer?
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:04 PM

Garage
I havenít found the actual spec for that. I was told around 700lbs, but I think itís heavier than that.

Iíll get to the scales one day. Iím sure Iím either maxed out on payload or slightly over.

That is the problem most 5ers have a heavy pin weight that kills your payload rating on any half ton but especially the tundra.

Iíve been fighting load support for my rear end. Tried sumo springs, hellwig helpers, and just installed airbags over the weekend. Havenít hooked it up with the bags but I know itís going to be fine. Details are in my build thread.

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
I havenít found the actual spec for that. I was told around 700lbs, but I think itís heavier than that.

Iíll get to the scales one day. Iím sure Iím either maxed out on payload or slightly over.

That is the problem most 5ers have a heavy pin weight that kills your payload rating on any half ton but especially the tundra.

Iíve been fighting load support for my rear end. Tried sumo springs, hellwig helpers, and just installed airbags over the weekend. Havenít hooked it up with the bags but I know itís going to be fine. Details are in my build thread.

I have pulled bumper pull campers. And pulling a 5er is much better much better. Much more stable, and doesnít sway. Very easy to hook up as well. I wouldnít want a standard 5th wheel hitch.

Iíll keep everyone updated on my setup. My father in law bought this camper new and pulled it from the dealer in Minnesota down to Louisiana, and has since pulled it several thousand miles, all with the Andersen setup. From his experience he says it pulls much better than a standard hitch. Iíve only pull d it maybe 409 miles so far.

bryan87smith (02-08-2018)
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
What about you blender what is your hitch weight?

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
What about you blender what is your hitch weight?

Iím am probably around 2300 on the hitch and the hitch is prob around 120-150 by itself.. hey Brian did you get the weight tickets i pmíd to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in