2014+ Tundra transmission temperature - Page 5 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
So Which OBDII Scan Tool Is Best?

Hi all,

I've just re-read this (older) thread, and I'm just wondering what the consensus is for the best scan tool on the market, for our 3rd Gen Tundras?

The choices are many--here are some: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=kiwi+ob...ref=nb_sb_noss

I don't mind spending more for the Kiwi if it's actually worth it--and to me "worth it" is defined in terms of the most functionality while still being easy (and ideally, the easiest) to use.

We have a 2014 DCLB, and I want to use it with an older i-Pad (which has Bluetooth--want to stick with Bluetooth and avoid Wi-Fi) but if the iPad is too old, I'll be getting an iPhone soon, anyway.

And which APP? (I like the one where you can set up the various screens you want to monitor, rather than having to "hunt" for options when I'm supposed to be driving. (I don't text and drive, though I used to drink and drive.) /s

Thanks again.

ToyotasForever

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."
--Henry Ford

2014 Tundra SR DCLB, 8' Box, 5.7, 4x4
2009 Highlander Hybrid
1987 Camry Wagon (Gone, but not forgotten!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Re: So Which OBDII Scan Tool Is Best?

Still using Kiwi 3 and OBD Fusion app on iPad Mini 4 (with Bluetooth 4.2) on a regular basis. Very user friendly.

2012 Silver Sky Metallic Sequoia SR5 4WD 4.6L
TRD Pro eng skid, Or-Fab trans skid, custom transfer case skid, RCI gas tank skid, 1.75" lift with 6112 on lowest notch, Wheeler's Superbumps (front), Revtek 441R & 5100 (rear), Michelin Defender LT275/70R18 on MB Chaos +25, 3rd Row Removed
The Following User Says Thank You to MtnClimber For This Useful Post:
ToyotasForever (06-12-2019)
post #63 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnClimber View Post
Still using Kiwi 3 and OBD Fusion app on iPad Mini 4 (with Bluetooth 4.2) on a regular basis. Very user friendly.
Thanks, MtnClimber,

Is that Kiwi 3 and OBD Fusion app combo one which will allow you to set up the screen with the various parameters YOU want to watch...or does it force you to scroll through a bunch of screens if you want to keep an eye on, say, trans converter temp, trans pan temp, AFR, Ethanol Percentage in Fuel, Engine Temp, Oil Temp, which gear you're in, etc...?

And since no one else has chimed in with updates on cheaper solutions, I guess I'm spendin' "Kiwi money". YOLO, right?

Thanks again.

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."
--Henry Ford

2009 Highlander Hybrid

Last edited by ToyotasForever; 07-03-2019 at 08:56 AM.

post #64 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Any Ideas for Holding iPad on Seat Console?

I can't remember which "inmate" had a pic of the very cool (cup holder-mounted?) iPad mount they used, while running an OBD II scan app on an iPad.

We have a 3rd Gen iPad (Wi-Fi and Cellular) with the 9.7" screen. Just hoping someone has some actual experience with a mount for one of these. We have the split bench/column shift in our DCLB, so with the middle of the front seat down, we have the two, gigantic cup holders, etc....

Thanks much!

--Henry Ford

2009 Highlander Hybrid
post #65 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotasForever View Post
Thanks, MtnClimber,

Is that Kiwi 3 and OBD Fusion app combo one which will allow you to set up the screen with the various parameters YOU want to watch...or does it force you to scroll through a bunch of screens if you want to keep an eye on, say, trans converter temp, trans pan temp, AFR, Ethanol Percentage in Fuel, Engine Temp, Oil Temp, which gear you're in, etc...?

And since no one else has chimed in with updates on cheaper solutions, I guess I'm spendin' "Kiwi money". YOLO, right?

Thanks again.
Yes, your screens can be totally customized for your own needs. You can put everything you want to see on one screen. Doesn't seem to be any limit on how much stuff you can display on one screen. I tried to get tire pressures to display but for some reason that is the only thing I never got working. For driving you need to set the iPad "Display and Brightness" setting for "Auto-Lock" to "Never" so that the screen display doesn't timeout after some period of time. Once it is turned on, you never need to touch the screen again as you drive. No scrolling from screen to screen. Takes some work to set it up in the first place but then you have a nice tool that you can use indefinitely. Attached is a screen shot of my primary screen and the iPad mounted in the truck.

The only caution I would make is to first do some research to find out what version of Bluetooth is supported by your iPad and make sure that it is supported by Kiwi. I am using an iPad Mini 4, which is a fairly new iPad model. I don't know, but it is possible that some older iPads may not be compatible.

The cupholder mount I use is from RAM Mounts. It goes in the smaller (ash tray?) hole so the two giant cupholders are still available for beverages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (207.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1376copy.jpg (180.6 KB, 10 views)

2012 Silver Sky Metallic Sequoia SR5 4WD 4.6L
TRD Pro eng skid, Or-Fab trans skid, custom transfer case skid, RCI gas tank skid, 1.75" lift with 6112 on lowest notch, Wheeler's Superbumps (front), Revtek 441R & 5100 (rear), Michelin Defender LT275/70R18 on MB Chaos +25, 3rd Row Removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in