Full-time RV'ing with Tundra: 8500-9500 lbs - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
gdhugh, I'm very interested to hear about your findings. If you don't wish to publicly post them you may PM me.

As for the chevy vs. ford debate, I have a few cents to throw in. Our fire dept. has four ambulances: Three F550 6.7 diesel cabs and one chevy 4500 duramax cab. I've never really been a ford fan but the power stroke has way more power than the duramax....and the bus with the duramax is lighter. If I ever were to upgrade trucks I might just get a ford with the 6.7 over chevy because of how well their engines perform.

Protected by Glock.
A two wheel drive truck is like a really hot woman with no vagina. Looks amazing but you can't do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Ive been trying to avoid this thread for days now, but will add my thoughts...
5.7 Tundra with Factory tow package including 4.30 gears, Class IV hitch, etc... in top mechanical condition.
Quality Brake control Unit and brakes on all trailer axles.
Load range E tires
Quality WDH with sway control
Front/rear sway bars
Air Springs on the rear to help level the soft factory suspension(why do we insist our modern trucks ride like our cars)
Don't install a huge lift kit and tall tires with lots of sidewall flex and a drop hitch. Keep your center of gravity low.

Would I do it...Yes. Would I make the recommendation to someone I do not know personally...No. I say this because only you know and understand your experience and comfort level. Ive been towing, hauling and working light duty trucks all of my life and know what feels right and what does not. My Tundra(pre supercharger) tows with more power and is more confidence inspiring than the V10 4.30axle F350 I had previously. My buddy with a concrete business regularly pulls his dump trailer at around 20K and loves his Tundra's.

Start off easy. Accelerate smoothly. Manage your load. Minimize where you can(buy local firewood, water and holding tanks empty, etc. Don't try and keep up/run with unloaded traffic(75mph on the interstate). Don't Use cruise control. Don't use 6th gear.

EDIT- 7.5K Dry, 11K GVWR Toyhauler for those wondering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MrMax; 05-12-2017 at 11:03 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMax View Post
EDIT- 7.5K Dry, 11K GVWR Toyhauler for those wondering.
That Rubicon is just about perfect. Very nice toyhauler at a great price. I would have bought one except we wanted a separate rear garage.

I will add one more thing. Concerning the air bags and WDH. My tongue weight ranges from 1400lbs with the garage empty to 800 lbs with both bikes in the garage. Even with 1400lbs on the ball, I can get very close to level, truck and trailer. Because my WDH is the right one for my weight and properly set up to distribute the maximum downforce to the front truck axle and trailer axles. Mine would be fine even without the air bags.
That said, I think the air bags actually keep the rear of the truck more stable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4X4 Pyrite Mica
5.7L TRD Supercharger, Camburg UCA, Bilstein 6112,
Bilstein 5100, Coachbuilder +2 shackles & carrier drop,
Factory Tow Package, Fender Flares, Weathertech Mats
20" Platinum Wheels - Michelin LTX A/T2 LT275/65 R20
FlowMaster CatBack Exhaust - TransferFlow 46gal Fuel Tank

The Following User Says Thank You to gdhugh For This Useful Post:
Duke_26 (06-19-2017)

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhugh View Post
That Rubicon is just about perfect. Very nice toyhauler at a great price. I would have bought one except we wanted a separate rear garage.

I will add one more thing. Concerning the air bags and WDH. My tongue weight ranges from 1400lbs with the garage empty to 800 lbs with both bikes in the garage. Even with 1400lbs on the ball, I can get very close to level, truck and trailer. Because my WDH is the right one for my weight and properly set up to distribute the maximum downforce to the front truck axle and trailer axles. Mine would be fine even without the air bags.
That said, I think the air bags actually keep the rear of the truck more stable.
Thanks, The separate garage would have been nice however I was swayed by the ability to haul a third bike occasionally(two in the back and one center/right). I agree completely regarding the WDH as I have two settings I run with/without bikes as well. I always adjust the air bags a bit as i too find they stablize the rig and minimize the bouncy bounce of frost heaved roads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in