LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Noise from front end

Beating my head against the wall..

have 236K on the truck. Just did lift in front with bilstein 5100's , new UCA's with uniballs.

Have probably about 2K on the lift and all seemed fine except i just started hearing/feeling a noise from somewhere in the front. I think I can feel it though the steering wheel when turning at slower speeds.

hard to explain, but it feels like a slight pop or something loose. Really noticeable at slow speeds in parking lot, while turning.

any ideas? I jacked up front end and couldnt find any movement in tires/balljoints. everything seemed tight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like a ball joint. Uniball maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Garage
Look into the intermediate steering shaft. Fixed my noise. Turning slow in a gravel parking lot if had a loose clunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just noticed the driver side rubber pad that goes on top of shock has Shifted. Is that possibly what I am hearing ??
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Here is a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0A4B21CA-570E-4A33-AAF5-39AE89E091D8_1567257136858.jpg (176.1 KB, 45 views)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Yes that is what it is intermediate steering shaft I had this issue on my 2010 check my posts. It drove me nuts! What year is your truck?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro22 View Post
Beating my head against the wall..

have 236K on the truck. Just did lift in front with bilstein 5100's , new UCA's with uniballs.

Have probably about 2K on the lift and all seemed fine except i just started hearing/feeling a noise from somewhere in the front. I think I can feel it though the steering wheel when turning at slower speeds.

hard to explain, but it feels like a slight pop or something loose. Really noticeable at slow speeds in parking lot, while turning.

any ideas? I jacked up front end and couldnt find any movement in tires/balljoints. everything seemed tight?

I have similar symptoms and have changed out every major component in the front end. All tie rods (inner/outer), ball joints (upper/lower) to include LCA bushings. I have a terrible snapping, cracking, popping sound whenever turning the wheel in either direction. More pronounced turning parking lot maneuvering. Can hear the pop, crack and feel it in the steering wheel. Next step is swapping out the front wheel bearings to see if it goes away. It's become very annoying.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Truck is a 2013
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok. Thanks for help

I’ll look into the intermediate shaft

Was looking under truck again trying to find anything that seemed loose. The noise seems to come just from suspension travel at slow speeds but is more noticeable when turning bc I think the suspension is flexing more

Sounds like something loose

One thing I thought of is when I added the new 5100s I loosened my lca’s and Didn’t ever torque them back. I assumed the alignment shop would do this but maybe they didn’t?

I am going to at least recheck these. I see it Calls for around a torque setting of 205 How do I tighten without changing the alignments?

My uniballs on UCa’s appear tight . Anyway to confirm these aren’t making the noise ? When I jack front end up I can’t find any play when trying to move tire back and forth
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
You mentioned the bearings so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Lift the front end and allow your wheels to rotate freely. Reach around the tire and place your fingers on the Upper Control Arm close to the Ball Joint. Now, with your free hand, spin the tire/wheel and feel for vibrations. You're looking for a grinding, popping, gravely feel accompanied maybe by sounds. You don't always hear it if you feel something rubbing. If you do feel something, the most likely cause is the bearing and it needs to be replaced.

WWG1WGA

Live with passion. Give life your best. Mediocre sucks.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
best i can tell wheel bearings are fine. I jacked up both sides and rolled the wheel and didnt feel anything. I also tried moving tire side to side and up and down with pry bar and cant find any movement,

noise has become worse and a lot more noticeable at low speeds. basically pops constantly with any movement in suspension, even going straight.

took it to the alignment shop and they put it on rack and did a quick look but cant figure it out without me leaving it there longer.

Starting to wonder if the uniballs on my UCA's are making the noise. what the best way to check them? I don't see any extra movement when trying to flex suspension? should i disconnect them and take misalignments out and see how it looks and feels?

i know the intermediate steering shaft has been mentioned also. anyway to narrow that down?

I saw if LCA's aren't torqued to spec it could possibly be a problem. They said they are tight. Any other thoughts on this?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Checked my lower control arms and they weren’t tourqed correctly. I set to 206 ft pds
But it didn’t help. Noise is still really noticeable at low speeds with any movement in suspension.

I also replaced the uniball hardware and checked the uniballs. They seemed tight without any play. I also retourqed the long bolt though the uca

It’s really noisey
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Checked my lower control arms and they werenít tourqed correctly. I set to 206 ft pds
But it didnít help. Noise is still really noticeable at low speeds with any movement in suspension.

I also replaced the uniball hardware and checked the uniballs. They seemed tight without any play. I also retourqed the long bolt though the uca

Itís really noisey
I have a somewhat similar noise after leveling with 5100s at 80K. Mine doesn't sound like it's as bad as you describe though. From trying to locate the sound I think it is sway bar links finding new positions; but I'm not a mechanic. Anyway I have a thread on it so maybe any responses there will help you.

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...eed-lefts.html
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help.

I will look again at sway bar links

I can replicate noise by quickly turning steering wheel back and forth going between 15-25 mph

I can feel it in steering but not sure if it’s suspension or possibly in steering system.

I know someone mentioned intermediate shaft

However. If I turn wheels while not moving I don’t get any noise. Would think steering would still pop if that was issue.

Weird thing is for about the first 1000-1500 miles after the lift it was fine. This developed A few weeks after lift

With the windows down the noise sounds like it’s from both sides wheel well areas/ suspension

Last edited by Jeffro22; 10-04-2019 at 04:25 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the help.

I will look again at sway bar links

I can replicate noise by quickly turning steering wheel back and forth going between 15-25 mph

I can feel it in steering but not sure if itís suspension or possibly in steering system.

I know someone mentioned intermediate shaft

However. If I turn wheels while not moving I donít get any noise. Would think steering would still pop if that was issue.

Weird thing is for about the first 1000-1500 miles after the lift it was fine. This developed A few weeks after lift

With the windows down the noise sounds like itís from both sides wheel well areas/ suspension
Oh I can't reliably replicate it unless I hit a speed bump at high speed, Sounds like you have a different issue. Drove 20+ miles today and never heard it. But it did also start a little while after leveling.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in