LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Help me do an MT build right

Greetings everybody,

I’m in the planning stages of a mid-travel build. My current vehicle is a 2003 v8 4runner with an OME lift, but she’s getting long-in-the-tooth, and too small for the family as well. A 2nd-gen Tundra CrewMax seems a perfect step up in most ways, once I modify the suspension. LT is outside of my budget (my needs too, but hell, that’s a minor quibble ). MT seems to be both doable and able to meet my needs. As for those needs: I live on a dirt road on a mountain in northern VA. My commute includes everything from a couple miles of ill-maintained logging road to route 66 at 85mph. Inclement weather often includes snow, ice (which on a mountain hill is really fun!) and floods. I sometimes tow, but nothing more than a utility trailer with a mower or is the way to go a half-cord of firewood.

I'm planning on doing this all in one fell swoop; I not going to buy the truck itself until I I've got things mapped out. While I’m pretty mechanically inclined and do most of my own routine car work, this venture is an entirely new arena for me. After reading everything I could find here, I think I’ve got it sorted out, but I wanted to get some feedback from the knowledgeable folks before I move forward. On a teacher’s salary, I want to do this right the first time. I do know cost is gonna hurt, but I figure “buy once, cry once” beats the false economy of going cheap and then having stuff fail later. With that in mind, any and all feedback is deeply appreciated to help me avoid screwing up!

My proposal:

King 2.5 external reservoirs coilovers and King 3.0 bypass shocks in front
Total Chaos Lower Control Arms and Upper Control Arms and bypass mount (mainly because TC seems to be the only firm making a stock-length aftermarket LCA?)
Total Chaos Spindle and Cam Tab Gussets
Camburg Rear Shock Mount and Fox 3.0 Bypass Shocks
Deavers Springs (I’m thinking custom, after reading some build logs, since I regularly haul a couple hundred pounds of crap around.)
Camburg/Fox bolt-on rear bump stops
ARB lockers and 4.88 gears front and back
Camburg CTE front bumper with winch (remember the mountain ice and snow I mentioned?)
35” tires (can I go 37” if I do front fiberglass?), on some wheels with offset that works to clear the front bypass shocks (suggestions?)

So . . . will all that work and play well together? Is there something I am leaving out? Is any one part terribly over- or under-performing compared to another that I should address? (front vs rear, etc.)?

I really appreciate the feedback – thanks in advance!

-Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 36,026 Times in 17,766 Posts
Mentioned: 1574 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11364 Post(s)
Sounds good. I'd save the money on the LCA. There is zero gain to it.
And you can clear 37s for sure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the feedback!

Regarding the LCA: That means it is possible to fab a robust attachment to the stock LCA for the bypass? Any concerns about proper travel geometry, since I won't be using single-manufacturer parts designed to work together? (as I said, this stuff is new to me . . .). I was under the impression I needed a new LCA set up for that, but I'm all about saving an unnecessary $3K!

-Ron

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

The bypass kit from total chaos comes.with the hardware to weld.on your stock LCA.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Personally I'd suggest fox or ADS for your coilovers and bypasses.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What kind of teacher are you, a "how to find gold" instructor? Sounds like it will be a great build with what you're thinking.

2010 Platinum 4x4 Slate Metallic
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragos28 View Post
Personally I'd suggest fox or ADS for your coilovers and bypasses.
May I ask why you'd lean away from Kings? I was leaning away from Fox because of the climate where I live; I'm in the rain/salt belt. I've come across a number of comparisons where folks complained about Fox's surface treatment and rust/corrosion compared to King. That could be purely anecdotal, though, but it's all I have to go on. If Fox has a real performance edge, I might be forced to reconsider. Does Fox have an extension/travel/dampening advantage for Tundra applications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWExplorer View Post
What kind of teacher are you, a "how to find gold" instructor? Sounds like it will be a great build with what you're thinking.
Hahaha - more like a "if you are going to live in debt until you die, it might as well be for something good" instructor! I also must say I'm planning on doing this to a **used** Tundra; price-wise, it looks like I'll need to do 2008-10, with 100-125K miles, to make this work on a budget I can squeak out. But hell, I bought my 4Runner at 100k, and that engine is still truckin' along at 260K+. That was the main thing pushing me away from a Raptor - no way I have faith in a Ford lasting so long with so little fuss!

Last edited by Tuthmose; 04-16-2019 at 08:54 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

fox vs king is an endless debate with fanboys on either side.
i feel like fox offers a superior product, has superior components on their shocks.
at the same time, if i were to do it again, i'd go with ADS, i feel as if their shocks are even more robust.
i run fox on my front stage and ADS on the rear end.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

i'd give them a shout

https://arizonadesertshocks.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in