4”, 6” or something else... - Page 5 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
4, 6 or something else...

I have a 2014 and went BDS 4.5 with 34 inch tires. It works well for towing and snow but if I had to do it all over I would go ADS shocks and some brand of control arm. Rides great but a little weird turning tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:11 AM

Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,429 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrman View Post
I have a 2014 and went BDS 4.5 with 34 inch tires. Rides great but a little weird turning tight.
If you are referring to the lack of being able to turn a tight radius, it would be the steer stops.
I had some welded on with my 3 lift when people started blowing steering racks on the 2009.5s to 13 tundras. Those really killed my turning radius...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crewmax LTD/RB10/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/5100's/Ride Rites/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
post #63 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoat View Post
If you are referring to the lack of being able to turn a tight radius, it would be the steer stops.

I had some welded on with my 3 lift when people started blowing steering racks on the 2009.5s to 13 tundras. Those really killed my turning radius...

Its more than the limited radius. When turning sharp, the tires squeal and you can feel the tires lay over. Im sure its a quirk of the large spindle.
The Following User Says Thank You to kidrman For This Useful Post:
theoat (03-24-2019)

post #64 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Too Much lift, and for what, I rum 12.5 x 33's w/2.5 front leveling lift w/some trimming and 0 on back looks great and handles good
post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrman View Post
I have a 2014 and went BDS 4.5 with 34 inch tires. It works well for towing and snow but if I had to do it all over I would go ADS shocks and some brand of control arm. Rides great but a little weird turning tight.
Thanks for including a picture! It helps to be able to see it. Looks nice with the 34s.
post #66 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I didn't get through all these yet, but wanted to comment before I had to run off. I did a few things in the beginning that I wish I would of not done.

I have 35's on my truck and only have a 3" lift on the front, but the back i went with Coachbuilder Shackles and love them. I had blocks at first and they did not give me the feel that I wanted when driving fast or off road. The Shackles are the way to go.

I ended up putting on the Coachbuilder tie rods and steering stops also. Great products and really well made.

2013 TRD Rock Warrior,TRD Dual exhaust,K&N CAI,2 Alpine amps,W3T10" JL shallow mount sub, Focal speakers,3-Trumpet Train Air Horn Kit 150dB,Access Cover, Hood Guard, AMP power steps,Smitty Bull Bar, Bully Dog GT+T tuner, 35/12.5/17, Steel grill, Hammerhead rear bumper, Coachman 3" Shackles, steering stops and Tie rods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osubam For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (03-25-2019), MiaRene (03-26-2019)
post #67 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragos28 View Post
You can stuff 37s on a 3" lift and it'll look more bad ass than any of the trucks you posted links to.
Yep

2016 SR DC Long 4x4 5.7L. Intermittent wipers added (?!). MB TKO 18x9 +25. Hankook Dynapro ATM 325/65r18 (34.6x13) Future Offroad RV plans: Bed removed, homebuilt camper installed. Rear seat removed to make room for storage and bikes. King or ADS shocks with 700 lb springs, ~2" lift (may cheap out though). Rear leaves, maybe air bags. And more!
post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaRene View Post
Out here, that's just daily driving.
37s... what Dragos said.

I got 35s and no lift (and no problems), but even 35s look puny on a Tundra.

1.5" of lift is enough for 37s, but if you want more you can go up to ~3" with coilovers and UCAs IMO, before you start messing up suspension performance with excessive strut-lift. 3" with struts plus ~2.5" with tires (37s vs stock 32s) gets you ~5.5" total.

Best way to do the rear would be a new spring pack, but just shackles would be fine to make it level.

Cost? You were doing new tires and wheels anyway, right? You can go with Bilstein 5100s for <$500, and Toytec shackles for ~$200. Or spend a lot more for better shocks... You'll need a body mount chop too, but that's $0 if your husband knows how to weld... or you just forgo welding on another piece like I did.

A note on wheels. To make 37s work it's best to have wheels in the +35 to +45 offset range which are kinda rare. Lower offsets (which stick out farther) are more likely to rub.

2016 SR DC Long 4x4 5.7L. Intermittent wipers added (?!). MB TKO 18x9 +25. Hankook Dynapro ATM 325/65r18 (34.6x13) Future Offroad RV plans: Bed removed, homebuilt camper installed. Rear seat removed to make room for storage and bikes. King or ADS shocks with 700 lb springs, ~2" lift (may cheap out though). Rear leaves, maybe air bags. And more!
The Following User Says Thank You to rruff For This Useful Post:
MiaRene (04-04-2019)
post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I got 35s and no lift (and no problems), but even 35s look puny on a Tundra.
That's the big dilemma, really. How much lift do I want and what am I willing to sacrifice to get it? Every time I think I've decided, I find something else. Damn indecisive women...
post #70 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,429 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Quote:
That's the big dilemma, really. How much lift do I want and what am I willing to sacrifice to get it? Every time I think I've decided, I find something else. Damn indecisive women...
Also, is increased fuel consumption going to bother you? ...
Every once in a while, someone new on here has a lifted tundra with off road tires and complains how bad their mileage is.....

Just saying, consider the likely 1 downside to lifting and bigger tires...2 if you ever park in parades without 7' + limits, but if you were considering a 6" lift I assume this isn't an issue for you.

Crewmax LTD/RB10/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/5100's/Ride Rites/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Also, is increased fuel consumption going to bother you?
Honestly, I traded my 26+ MPG T&C Touring for my 12.5 MPG (that half is really important ) Tundra. I don't really care about the mileage. Valid things to consider, though!
post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Our goals are pretty different, so consider that. I'm not after a "look" so much as decent off road performance. Larger diameter tires are the best way to get clearance since they lift everything. Plus they roll over stuff better. And I don't want any more lift than necessary since I already hate that I have to climb up into the damn thing. Plus adding more lift than you get with good struts compromises handling and offroad performance. I *will* get a modest strut lift at some point. Not sure about the 37s. I'll be hauling a load so a regear would be nice anyway. 37s and 5.29 ratios would be ideal, just more $$$. See, I can't decide either...

The Following User Says Thank You to rruff For This Useful Post:
MiaRene (04-09-2019)
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Heres the photo you asked for. Let me know if you need anything else to help make your decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16F8AE96-ECCA-4A7B-B8B3-F3E945C37D64.jpg (196.3 KB, 28 views)

2015 Platinum Crewmax(Super White), TRD PRO grill, OME 614 coil-over front shocks, OME rear shocks, Coach Builder +3" shackles, Worx 806 Triton18x9(Black Satin) +25 offset, Toyo Open Country MT's(315/70/18), TRD dual exhaust, stripped chrome mirrors, door handles and badging stripped and replaced with flat black, Amp Research Power Steps, spray in bedliner, Husky X-act Contour front liners, Toyota OEM Bed Step(by Amp Research), 2018 OEM LED headlights, Morimoto Oval XB fog lights, anytime fog light mod, V4 Extreme Bright Trax LED Puddle Lights
The Following User Says Thank You to Pale Silverback For This Useful Post:
MiaRene (04-09-2019)
post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
For bad roads or trail running it is dumb to raise the center of gravity and make the truck easier to flip. The power band for the engine is also shifted with the larger circumfrance of the tire and hardly ideal either on bad surfaces. Stiffer sidewalls with larger tires can also impact the ride and the handling. It also increases wear of the u-joints needed to drive front and rear wheels and these can fail with no warning and at less than opportune times. But if all the kids are doing it then what the hell, go for it.
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calson View Post
But if all the kids are doing it then what the hell, go for it.
You're kinda all over the place.

Raising the center of gravity... ya, not optimal on or off the road to raise that more than necessary.

Larger diameter tires will make your engine run slower and reduce acceleration. But the larger tire definitely performs better off road, and you can get back the acceleration if you regear.

Stiff sidewalls can negatively impact the ride and mpg. They won't hurt the handling though. The ATs I bought improved handling and didn't hurt the ride or mpg. It depends on which tire you get. Burly mud tires would have a negative impact on those things, but if you need the durability and and off-road traction, then...

What "increases the wear on u-joints"? You don't say, but the only thing I can think of is an excessive strut lift. But if you keep that to 3" or less, drop the diff, and get UCAs, it's fine. Keeping it to <2" is better though. I also think if the u-joint is going to fail, you'll have plenty of advance warning. That's been my experience on other vehicles anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in