User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
UCA Question

Hey all, I have a 2017 Ltd Crewmax TRD 4x4 and I have some questions about UCA's, I'm finding out what brands say about themselves but not specific opinions that I'd like to hear. I'm going to upgrade my suspension with the 6112/5160 combo and some coachbuilder shims to give some height to the front. But when it comes to UCA's I don't know how what is most important as far as the the pivot joint, level of maintenance and returning the UCA angle back to a manageable angle for alignment. There are a few brands that all look good and the prices vary from $500 to almost $1500.

So what is everyone for UCA's with a similar setup running and why?

Never kick a skunk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:44 PM

Thanked 10,709 Times in 5,784 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
I used Rancho uca's, but I used their suspension as well. They had poly bushings that were greasable, and that is what I was looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am not running your suspension setup but a 4.5 BDS kit. I actually used some aftermarket UCA's with it but its hard to really say if they made a difference. I think with just a new shock setup they would probably make a big difference.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Garage
Iím running the Tuff Country ball joint UCA. Poly bushings with zerks and a sealed ball joint for around $300. I have no complaints. I donít want a uniball for daily driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
Iím running the Tuff Country ball joint UCA. Poly bushings with zerks and a sealed ball joint for around $300. I have no complaints. I donít want a uniball for daily driving.

Thanks for the info, can you explain why you didn't want uni-ball for a daily driver. This is the kind of info I'm after

Never kick a skunk
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyin503 View Post
Thanks for the info, can you explain why you didn't want uni-ball for a daily driver. This is the kind of info I'm after

I have no actual experience with a uniball. From what I have read, you need to clean and lube them regularly or they will get noisy. I also donít need the extra strength or articulation they provide.

For my usage a sealed ball joint seemed to be a better choice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
Luckyin503 (02-17-2019), Powertechn2 (02-20-2019)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
I have no actual experience with a uniball. From what I have read, you need to clean and lube them regularly or they will get noisy. I also donít need the extra strength or articulation they provide.

For my usage a sealed ball joint seemed to be a better choice.

Gotcha!! Thanks for the info

Never kick a skunk
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 30,257 Times in 14,442 Posts
Mentioned: 1614 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11949 Post(s)
I'm running total chaos UCA. With the 1" uniball. My maintenance consists of them getting washed when it rains or the once in a 6 month wash my truck gets.
They don't squeak or make any noise.
I did put some lube in them when i swapped trucks so after 2 years of hard use and that was 2 years ago. So once in 4 years i lubed them.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I have TC UCA's and they can get ungodly noisy. But bear in mind this is Canada, and our weather is different than most, and our road "chemicals" can be worse than others too.

I lube mine all the time when I wash the truck and it quiets them down for another 5000km.

I'm going to swap out the uniball in them for EMF greasable uniball this spring hen I revamp the front end and weld in some cam tabs. Upside for those is that EMF is only an hour away.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks to everyone for all of the input. Here in Oregon our road conditions/chemicals are quite tame compared to a Canadian winter.

Never kick a skunk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in