5100s on the highest setting install and lessons learned for DIYer - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up 5100s on the highest setting install and lessons learned for DIYer

This is info is for those who are looking to use 5100s on the highest (2.3") lift setting. A couple items worthy of mention

1.getting the OEM shocks off is pretty straight forward. lots of instruction on this forum and you tube although make sure you have a large breaker bar for loosening the control arms and lower ball joint

2. The highest setting on the shock requires that the coil be compresses significantly more than just an OEM replacement. I tried using a rental spring compressor and it bent ($200) (see pic). trying to find someone on a saturday to do this work was difficult and ended up costing me $100 and several hours of delay. And they installed the spring perch upside down so now i have to have it redone....

3.Putting it all back together was a 2 person job, Because the shock and spring assembly is 2" longer and the spring is highly compressed you cannot youse the standard jack under the lower control arm method to reconnect everything, it just ends up lifting the truck. my friend had to use a pry bar to lower the upper control arm to get the lower ball joint bolted back up. (Not a one person job)

What i would have done differently to make my life easier? use the middle setting and a small spacer (Coachbuilder) so the spring has less compressive force required which should make changing the shock out and installation of the strut easier. I have not driven yet to see how the ride quality is with that spring being that compressed. Good luck and I hope this helps. I may go back and replace with upper control arms and coilovers as this is probably the best way to lift the front. Will post pics of the finished truck here shortly...
IMG_1840.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1842.jpg (190.7 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by joecool509; 02-03-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Wait.

Are they installed on your truck right now with the perches upside down? And is the clip even all the way in? In the pic it looks like itís half out of the groove.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
no. i noticed when installing them. they are at the only place open on sunday getting the perches flipped. going to pay the other place a visit. and yes the clip is starting to come out...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thats some pretty scary stuff there, if that clip comes out I would think it would be a catastrophic failure, damaging many components.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcherman View Post
Thats some pretty scary stuff there, if that clip comes out I would think it would be a catastrophic failure, damaging many components.
Yeah that would have been horrible. Got a different shop to fix it. Finished the front. Still need to do the rear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E31F8505-A59F-4BA2-AF62-1220EAD2A580_1549240303115.jpg (191.7 KB, 75 views)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Thanked 10,689 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
We do have stout springs. I damaged a floor standing compressor when I did my 17. Luckily Amazon allowed me to return it.

I have always been able to disassemble/re-assemble the front-end myself. But I also have a 5 ft pry-bar. And a truck lift.

Good thing you saw the cup was upside down. That definitely would have been catastrophic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in