Need alternative suggestions to my Icon Stg6 suspension - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need alternative suggestions to my Icon Stg6 suspension

Sup guys. So recently, taking the suggestion of a fellow Tundra owner, I upgraded to all Icon Stage 6 coilovers suspension components with the hopes of achieving a "cushier" ride. This Tundra owner in particular happens to also own a Gen2 Raptor, and he said that the Tundra with the Icon Stage 6 suspension rides BETTER than his Raptor. Since everything I've read and seen about the Gen2 Raptor is how luxuriously they ride I got all excited and called up SDHQ for the suspension install. But it's with great disappointment that I report this has not my experience. This suspension setup is way too stiff, even at the softest dampener settings. The highways out in my area are crap and this suspension is just way too jarring.

Sooooo, I'm gonna give one more suspension setup a shot before I give up and make the big crossover to the Raptor. What would be the next step for a more compliant, surface absorbing suspension? Am I going to have to explore mid travel options, here? I've thought about getting the OEM Fox Pro suspension and just swapping that in, but not sure where the best deal could be had for something like that.

Anyway, whatever thoughts you guys have to share on this would be greatly appreciated.

AZ Tundra Club Member #84
2014 TRD Crewmax 4x4 Super White // Snugtop Rebel camper shell // Iron cross HD step bars // TRD Pro Headlights // Icon Stage II coilovers // Coachbuilder +2 shackles // Bora 1.5" wheel spacers // Icon add-a-leaf pack // 295-70 R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers // Firestone Ride Rite air bags + onboard air compressor // SDHQ hidden winch mount + Warn Platinum Zeon 10-s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
My 16 CM Plat has Fox 2.5 up front with TC Arms, rear King 2.5 adj/res currently with Icon RXT leafpack, 35's on 17's all the way around. It rides very well, and I took the sway bars out to get that "side mirror drag" when I go around corners fast.

Honestly, I'd play with the rear pack before swapping everything out. Now I'm not a fan of the RXT in my truck for it's advertised weight capacity, because they were flattened within 2000 miles. But lightly loaded they ride nice. I'm switching to Deavers because of the failure.

Maybe try them in stage 1 or 2 and they might do the trick?

For the front, no idea. I don't know what Icon uses for valving or coil rates compared to others like Fox or King.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I would share your concerns with the guys at SDHQ....They know their shit....the mid travel on the raptor is definitely at the upper end of mid travel set ups. Camburg and Total Chaos have rear shock relocation kits that allow for comparable shocks in the rear like the Raptor set up. Honestly if you got the $$$$$$$ for a new raptor f?>+_ck it just dooooo itttttttt!!! and call it a day

Last edited by simspt; 01-29-2019 at 07:15 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ive had stage one Icons on a Titan and Tundra. Icons are a digressive valved shock, so they will be stiffer at slow speeds and soften up at higher speeds. I got tired of my having to rebuild my Icons and recently installed Fox 2.5 reservoir shocks which are progressive valved and I couldn't be happier! Much more comfortable ride around town and off road in my opinion.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOTundra View Post
My 16 CM Plat has Fox 2.5 up front with TC Arms, rear King 2.5 adj/res currently with Icon RXT leafpack, 35's on 17's all the way around. It rides very well, and I took the sway bars out to get that "side mirror drag" when I go around corners fast.

Honestly, I'd play with the rear pack before swapping everything out. Now I'm not a fan of the RXT in my truck for it's advertised weight capacity, because they were flattened within 2000 miles. But lightly loaded they ride nice. I'm switching to Deavers because of the failure.

Maybe try them in stage 1 or 2 and they might do the trick?

For the front, no idea. I don't know what Icon uses for valving or coil rates compared to others like Fox or King.
Hey not meaning to derail here but could you explain your RXT flattening problems a little further? Thanks

2012 RW DC. ADS Coilovers and Piggybacks, MCM Fab UCA's, CB +3ís, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, full audio system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8White View Post
Hey not meaning to derail here but could you explain your RXT flattening problems a little further? Thanks
Once we dug into it a little more and played with truck and gear weight, it wasn't flattening per say, they just weren't holding the load we expected at Stage 3.

Once unweighted a bit they were great, but I couldn't run my canopy, tent, fridge etc and work gear at the same time, and I was trying to stay away from bags. Stage 3 seemed to work with around 600-650lbs in the bed, anything more than that and the truck would ride on the Timbrens.

I think the mileage we noted on the first trip with them was just a settling and break in.

Fully loaded with the new Deavers the truck rides where we wanted it to, but they were a specially built pack and I don't have many miles on them yet. We'll see this spring how they do, so far so good.
The Following User Says Thank You to GEOTundra For This Useful Post:
GR8White (04-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in