User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Iron Man Suspension

Anyone have any run ins with people or any information on Iron Man shocks (good of bad)?

I'm going to guess no based on the lack of reports on here but seems like some fj and gx guys seem to like them.

They look beefy, though i know its a twin tube design but the coatings look better than most options which is desirable to me being in the midwest. Most reports say they ride quite well on and offroad.

I guess most peoples issue is the foam core which can degrade if bombing over the desert for long periods but doesnt seem like there are any that it happening to (that i can find). Plus i live by no desert, so doubt i'll ever push it that hard.

I'm wondering if lack of info is a sign to steer clear. Just wondering if anyone has seen them around or talked to anyone who has them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
I got crickets when I asked last fall, but consolidated some info here. https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...hings-etc.html

Looks like you can now buy the Pro front and rear shocks with springs for $1,137. Seems like a very competitive deal for good coilovers with threaded adjusters and rebuildability.

If the foamcell had issues with melting I think we would have heard by now. Did you read it somewhere or is it just speculation?

Do us all a favor and be the guinea pig, ok?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SR DC Long 4x4 5.7L. Intermittent wipers added (?!). MB TKO 18x9 +25. Hankook Dynapro ATM 325/65r18 (34.6x13) Future Offroad RV plans: Bed removed, homebuilt camper installed. Rear seat removed to make room for storage and bikes. King or ADS shocks with 700 lb springs, ~2" lift (may cheap out though). Rear leaves, maybe air bags. And more!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I read it trying to sift through posts, im sure it's speculation based off maybe old cases which may have not even been related to Iron Man, just the technology im general.

It's kinda a shame thay metal techs website info on the product is pretty bare.

I'm tempted to give it a shot. One thing im a little leery on would be availabilty if something fails or replacement and distributers go down the crapper when it's so easy to get 6112 or ome. It seems like a good alternative to OME since it sounds like the daily driver behaviors are more forgiving.

My bed bounce seems through the roof so i have a hard time going with anything stiffer. 6112 are obviously a great choice, but sometimes i feel like those aussies build stuff to last, kind of stupid proof/minimalist and for garbage enviroments which is enticing.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 10:50 PM

Thanked 10,710 Times in 5,785 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
I looked into them when I was buying my 2017. A little over a year ago.

The company and it's reps here seemed to suck. The foam core seemed to be a gimmick. So I brushed them off.

A few issues on FJ and LC/4R sites.

The company didn't seem to stand behind false hopes and advertising. SO I left them alone. Maybe something has changed, but I dunno. There was a huge shit show between a dealer/dist for them on a site I belong to, and actually know people involved, so that was my deciding factor.

I have not tried them, and can't say if they are good, but when a companies distributor argues online and makes themselves look infantile while arguing with no information to be posted... Well, that in itself caused my outcome. I went without them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

Last edited by Powertechn2; 02-10-2018 at 10:53 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
when a companies distributor argues online and makes themselves look infantile while arguing with no information to be posted... Well, that in itself caused my outcome. I went without them.
Do you have a link maybe? Is the distributor still in business?

On the FJ forum people seem to be quite happy. Only dig I heard was spring end pieces (plastic, rubber?) failing after awhile. One guy says he has 50k miles on a set, desert running in Dubai.

EDIT: Here are the spring ends on the FJ models. One guy said he replaced them with aluminum pieces from Toytec.

2016 SR DC Long 4x4 5.7L. Intermittent wipers added (?!). MB TKO 18x9 +25. Hankook Dynapro ATM 325/65r18 (34.6x13) Future Offroad RV plans: Bed removed, homebuilt camper installed. Rear seat removed to make room for storage and bikes. King or ADS shocks with 700 lb springs, ~2" lift (may cheap out though). Rear leaves, maybe air bags. And more!

Last edited by rruff; 02-11-2018 at 01:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rruff For This Useful Post:
chuckyb (02-12-2018)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:23 PM

Thanked 10,710 Times in 5,785 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Do you have a link maybe? Is the distributor still in business?

On the FJ forum people seem to be quite happy. Only dig I heard was spring end pieces (plastic, rubber?) failing after awhile. One guy says he has 50k miles on a set, desert running in Dubai.

EDIT: Here are the spring ends on the FJ models. One guy said he replaced them with aluminum pieces from Toytec.

I do not, this was when they first came out. I am friends with a group online where a bunch of them still have FJ's. I just remember a big online fight about them. Thread was locked and deleted later.

At the time they didn't even have them out for Tundra's yet, but I just remember it being a shitshow.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
chuckyb (02-12-2018)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I had the Ironman setup on my old Xterra. I got a screaming deal ($800) for the foam cell shocks coil overs, and full leaf packs (as the Canadian dealer seemed to be shutting down) so I couldn't resist the price. I had no complaints and wheeled the Xterra pretty hard. It was a very, very firm ride. The leaf packs were incredibly heavy duty, but did squeak and creak quite a bit. If I was to guess, I'd put them below OME products.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Brining this back from the dead. I’ve been running foam cell pros on my 97 landcruiser and they are awesome. I’ve gone through several shocks on my cruiser from really rough, 12 year old blown out OME’s, to fox 2.0’s, to now the foam fell pros. I can bomb down logging roads here in the PNW, running street pressure in my 35’s and it feels wonderful.

I like them so much that I just ordered the full kit from Ironman 4x4 America to put on my Tundra.

Currently running 6112’s top notch, Camburg UCA’s, rear CB +2 shackles and icon shocks on 295’s. Had this on for about 3.5 years, and to be honest the front end is kinda rough on certain roads. Also when I went to fit a full size spare under the bed, the shackles are so massive it rubs the tire, even after I did some cutting under there.

To my knowledge I’ll be the first North American guy to be running this Ironman setup on a tundra!

I’ll let you guys know how it turns out.
The Following User Says Thank You to olypenjeeper For This Useful Post:
chuckyb (05-14-2019)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:39 AM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Thanked 10,225 Times in 4,463 Posts
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Garage
A quick Google search doesn't turn up any cutaway pics showing how the technology works.
Seems hard to get info on this stuff.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
A quick Google search doesn't turn up any cutaway pics showing how the technology works.
No affiliation here, I just love how they work on my cruiser. And the whole price with new leafs, greasable shackles, bushings, top hat, everything complete was 1500 ish with free shipping.

I think itíll be a game changer for us in America, and I canít wait to receive it and put it on my tundra.

I like how the coil over is adjustable for dialing in the right amount of lift for your setup.

Found this video which sort of gets into the insides of the shocks -

https://youtu.be/JrL3ks7BmnQ
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
2-1/2 years ago when I first posted about them, this is what I found: https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...hings-etc.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by olypenjeeper View Post
I’ll let you guys know how it turns out.
I will certainly be interested!

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olypenjeeper View Post
No affiliation here, I just love how they work on my cruiser. And the whole price with new leafs, greasable shackles, bushings, top hat, everything complete was 1500 ish with free shipping.

I think itíll be a game changer for us in America, and I canít wait to receive it and put it on my tundra.

I like how the coil over is adjustable for dialing in the right amount of lift for your setup.

Found this video which sort of gets into the insides of the shocks -

https://youtu.be/JrL3ks7BmnQ
Yeah, def let us know how it goes. Also, how bad was your bed bounce before? Keep us updated on how the install affected it (positive or negative).

Good luck and thanks
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:43 AM

Finally got all my pieces assembled and ready to install I’m the next week or so.
Originally Ironman America sent me the wrong coils, but quickly sent the correct ones within 2 days. I have to say their customer service is fantastic. They even sent me a shirt for the mix up.
I had to buy a beefier spring compressor off amazon, no way my old all thread style strut compressor was gonna squeeze these massive springs enough to get the top hat on.
Stay tuned for the install and review.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4D4A1EC3-D373-4CE6-B10F-49644A5D61D0_1559108381958.jpg (187.1 KB, 19 views)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:01 PM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Thanked 10,225 Times in 4,463 Posts
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Garage
- will this lift the vehicle, or will it be close to stock?

- what did this setup cost?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
- will this lift the vehicle, or will it be close to stock?

- what did this setup cost?
it was around $1550 with free shipping. I think the price has gone up slightly since.

i'm currently lifted about 2.5" with bilstein 6112's at top setting. and i'm running Coach Builder +2 shackles out back.

the new coil overs are set to 3", and the leafs should provide 2" of lift.

so not really gaining any height, but will get a much better ride with the foam cell.

i'll post pics and a review when i'm all done with the install and have had a chance to rod around some logging roads up here in the PNW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in