Caochbuilder shims after install of 5100's? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Caochbuilder shims after install of 5100's?

I have a set of 5100's that I pan to get installed next week using the middle setting. I've gotten a few quotes on the install, all of which seem high compared to the prices that I've seen on this website. If I decide later on to add a .25" shim for another 1/2 inch of lift, will I have the same labor costs to do the front again? And I'm assuming I would need another alignment with the addition of a shim?

It seems to me that I need to make up my mind before I get to the shop to avoid two installation charges.

Also, after reading through the threads, I plan to stick with middle setting and maybe down the road add a shim on the 5100s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
They will need to pull it back out to put on the shims. May not be as much as the first go around. I would try and decide before you have them installed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 DC SR5 TRD Super white
San Diego Tundra Club
Lifted Tundra Club (LTC) Member #78
Bilstein 6112s & 5160s w/ 2 CB Shims | Fuel Stroke 612 Wheels | Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/70/R18 | Stealth Step Boards | Toytec Lift Shackles | TRD Sway Bar | BAK Industries Revolver X2 | JBL Audio Amp | Kenwood Front & Back Speakers | LEDs Interior & Exterior | Husky X-Act Contours front & rear | TRD Shift knob
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Save yourself the headache and decide beforehand. Which means you have to decide how much lift you're looking for.

I went middle setting with a shim, love it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
I have middle setting with two shims per side ( truck was level in front before). A lot of people like the middle setting with shims. Some do 1 on passenger side and two on drivers. If I hadn't done the shims I woulda been disappointed in my lift height.

Just for note sake my ride is factory or even slightly better with middle setting and shims. A friend with a non lifted tundra even drove mine and said he couldn't tell a difference other than riding higher.

2014 4Runner Limited MGM
2014 Tundra bilstein 5100, CB shims, and toytec shackles.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX_Larry View Post
I have a set of 5100's that I pan to get installed next week using the middle setting. I've gotten a few quotes on the install, all of which seem high compared to the prices that I've seen on this website. If I decide later on to add a .25" shim for another 1/2 inch of lift, will I have the same labor costs to do the front again? And I'm assuming I would need another alignment with the addition of a shim?

It seems to me that I need to make up my mind before I get to the shop to avoid two installation charges.

Also, after reading through the threads, I plan to stick with middle setting and maybe down the road add a shim on the 5100s.
I'm on top setting and it rides just like it was stock: soft. I don't understand why you would use the middle setting then go buy more parts to achieve the same lift if you just user the top setting of the 5100's??!! Save the money and use the top setting!!

I do need the shims because I'm running the frame when turning due my wheel offset. Where did you get your shims?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1726_1504104505811.jpg (211.1 KB, 178 views)

Hillery for Prison
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
On a side note perform the zero point calibration after you lift your truck so it won't run sluggish... like a wet sponge.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Haven't gotten any shims yet but most on here use dirty deeds coachbuilder. Everything I read, while many say it works fine on the top setting, by using the middle setting and adding a shim or two, it doesn't compress the strut as much and optimizes the use of the shock and strut during travel compared to more compression on the spring using the top setting. Also I believe the top setting may impact the angle of the strut and lead to more rubbing issues.

What size tire do you have on your truck?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX_Larry View Post
Haven't gotten any shims yet but most on here use dirty deeds coachbuilder. Everything I read, while many say it works fine on the top setting, by using the middle setting and adding a shim or two, it doesn't compress the strut as much and optimizes the use of the shock and strut during travel compared to more compression on the spring using the top setting. Also I believe the top setting may impact the angle of the strut and lead to more rubbing issues.

What size tire do you have on your truck?
305/55/20. It's not there tire size so much as it is my 0 offset rims.

Hillery for Prison
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I am by no means a mechanic but I did the 5100 and CB shim install myself and it was not difficult at all. Would have been way easier with 2 people but I did it alone.Like others have said it is easier if you decide before hand. If you do decide to do it after here is some things I learned from doing the install myself.

1. Adding the shims after is easier since the spring and shocks will remain safely bolted down as one unit.
2. If you have an alignment done after just the 5100 install you will need to have another done after adding the shims.
3. I went with the middle setting and 2 oCB shims on the driver and 1 on the passenger. This seemed perfect for what I wanted to do.

Before:
Front Passenge: 36.5"
Front Driver: 36.25"
After:
Front Passenger:39.5"
Front Driver 39.5"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FP Before 365.jpg (181.7 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg FP after 395.jpg (174.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg FD after 395.jpg (194.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg FD Before 3625.jpg (175.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Tundra After.jpg (193.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Tundra Before.jpg (202.5 KB, 142 views)

2018 TRD Sport Crewmax MGM 2wd.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 07:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simulcaster View Post
I am by no means a mechanic but I did the 5100 and CB shim install myself and it was not difficult at all. Would have been way easier with 2 people but I did it alone.Like others have said it is easier if you decide before hand. If you do decide to do it after here is some things I learned from doing the install myself.

1. Adding the shims after is easier since the spring and shocks will remain safely bolted down as one unit.
2. If you have an alignment done after just the 5100 install you will need to have another done after adding the shims.
3. I went with the middle setting and 2 oCB shims on the driver and 1 on the passenger. This seemed perfect for what I wanted to do.

Before:
Front Passenge: 36.5"
Front Driver: 36.25"
After:
Front Passenger:39.5"
Front Driver 39.5"
Where did you get your shims from and how much were they? I did my own install and a 2nd set of hands would have been nice!

Hillery for Prison
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:45 PM

Garage
Ordered direct from Coachbuilder/ Ekstrom Design. So easy, just called them up and told them what I was planning to do. They sent me a PayPal request to pay and shipped them out that day.

$18 each plus shipping.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simulcaster View Post
Ordered direct from Coachbuilder/ Ekstrom Design. So easy, just called them up and told them what I was planning to do. They sent me a PayPal request to pay and shipped them out that day.

$18 each plus shipping.
Likewise- Just paid for my invoice yesterday. I'll be using 2, and 1, as I have some lean.

Kyle

2014 TRD Tundra[*]LineX[*]Softopper[*]Trd Duals[*]7.5' Fisher SD Plow[*]5100 Middle Setting[*]1 Coachbuilder shim on each side
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
@kicit and @Simulcaster did you have any issues aligning after 2 shims were added on the driverside? Im consistently 1/2" off usuallyon a full tank and trying to decide if I really need 2 or just stick to adding 1 on each side...Currently running Procomp Struts leveled @ 39" Driver / 39 1/2" Passeneger

2010 Blue Streak Metallic CrewMax Limited
TRD Intake
TRD Big Brake Kit
TRD Sway Bar
Rear DVD
Navigation
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rptipton View Post
@kicit and @Simulcaster did you have any issues aligning after 2 shims were added on the driverside? Im consistently 1/2" off usuallyon a full tank and trying to decide if I really need 2 or just stick to adding 1 on each side...Currently running Procomp Struts leveled @ 39" Driver / 39 1/2" Passeneger
That's the consensus. 2 on 1 side and 1 on the other and it sits level.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewrecker9 View Post
That's the consensus. 2 on 1 side and 1 on the other and it sits level.
No issues what so ever with alignment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in