Alignment Still Not Good After New UCAs - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm on vacation right now. I'm going to take it to the same shop and talk to the tech who did the original alignment. I'm hoping we can work this out otherwise there may be some slightly used UCAs for sale. I'll let y'all know what happens. Not sure why some get spot on alignments and some are off. I'm thinking it's the tech doing the alignment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaded View Post
I have had zone ucas installed and am having alignment issues as well. My truck drifts right and has been there twice now for alignment. He said one adjustment was maxed out as far as it would go and said I might see some outside wear on my tread. At a loss as to what to even do at this point.
Take pics of your alignment cams and we can let you know if you're maxed out or if you have another failure of an alignment tech

2012 RW DC. ADS Coilovers and Piggybacks, MCM Fab UCA's, CB +3ís, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, full audio system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got back from an alignment shop and got the same statement from the tech guy. @GR8White could you take a look at this pics if i really am maxed out. No printout cause the only place around me that could take it in is an old school shop that does it without computers and lasers. They are pretty well known and respected round here in SoCal though. First set of pics are passenger side front and rear adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 12:13 AM

These 2nd set o pics are the plates on the driver's side

As a side note i have Bilstein 6112 on the highest setting and a shim each on both sides to add extra inch on each side. Zone UCA. I heard 2wd are getting higher lifts on the 6112 also and that makes me think that I might be out of zone UCA's limits. Thanks in advance.

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:02 AM

Garage
Upper pic is not maxed, lower is. Not sure which cam is which. Problem is, without a printout, I don't know how far you're off and if the adjustment left in that cam will make a difference. On first set of pics

2012 RW DC. ADS Coilovers and Piggybacks, MCM Fab UCA's, CB +3ís, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, full audio system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to GR8White For This Useful Post:
HONDUCATI (07-15-2017)
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDUCATI View Post
These 2nd set o pics are the plates on the driver's side

As a side note i have Bilstein 6112 on the highest setting and a shim each on both sides to add extra inch on each side. Zone UCA. I heard 2wd are getting higher lifts on the 6112 also and that makes me think that I might be out of zone UCA's limits. Thanks in advance.

On this set of pics, your upper pic is right at max and lower cam is only half way! What is wrong with these alignment techs. But again, without numbers, you can't tell exactly what's going on and I'm not sure which cam is which in the pics. But yes, you have more room for adjustment. And the more I look at it, the more it looks screwed up to me because it appears just by the frame area around the cams that they have opposite cams maxed out between front and rear on each side. I'm not an alignment expert, I just kind of understand how these things work and to me, that would create a nasty cross caster pull as well

Last edited by GR8White; 07-15-2017 at 09:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GR8White For This Useful Post:
HONDUCATI (07-15-2017)
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 11:34 PM

Jeebus... i knew it!! Its just kinda hard to question a tech that does it for a living. He even told me to come by the bay so he could show me the best he can do. Anyone have a reccomendation for a computer alignment in SoCal that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8White View Post
Take pics of your alignment cams and we can let you know if you're maxed out or if you have another failure of an alignment tech

I tried doing that but the pics come out turned wrong and I can't get them correct. Here is my spec sheets though. The alignment at the bottom is where I am currently but it shows each alignment and where it was before.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img018.pdf (1.30 MB, 12 views)

Platinum Member #51
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 06:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaded View Post
I tried doing that but the pics come out turned wrong and I can't get them correct. Here is my spec sheets though. The alignment at the bottom is where I am currently but it shows each alignment and where it was before.
If you have an iPhone, take your pics with the phone sideways, not upright. If it's android I'm not sure what to tell you. Unfortunately seeing your alignment sheet doesn't do me any good because it just shows what the angles are. It doesn't show if there's room for improvement or not. Also, I'm not sure what much of that means when all the specs are in fractions. Most measure in degrees and it's easy to tell how far off you are. As I've said prior, I'm not an alignment tech and I'm no expert but I've read up on this stuff enough on this forum and other sources that when I go to get an alignment done, I'm standing there under the truck and telling him what I want done. Having a basic understanding of caster, camber, toe and where your alignment cams are maxed out and what they do will help you a lot in the long run to not even leave the alignment shop if you're not happy with what they got.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
From your spec sheet it looks like you caster is way to high. It should be around 2.5-3. Your at 4.8-4.9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 CrewMax Platinum. Toytec Boss CoilOvers in front, Toytec Boss Shocks in Rear. SPC Light Racing UCA's. CoachBuilder 3" Rear Shackles. Fuel Boost 20x9 +20mm Wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 275/60/20.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin-on-Dubs View Post
From your spec sheet it looks like you caster is way to high. It should be around 2.5-3. Your at 4.8-4.9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Having a lot of caster is not a huge issue. Having too much positive camber certainly could be though.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So the alignment drama is finally over. Today I took my truck to my local 4 Wheel Parts Store and they had me in and out in less than an hour with good alignment specs:

Camber: +0.3 Left, +0.2 Right
Caster: +3.6 L, +3.7 R
Toe: +.12 L, +.13 R

The truck drives great and with the alignment issues fixed I can finally get the new wheels and tires I've been looking at. All of you who are concerned about the Zone Offroad UCAs not working on your Tundra I'm another data point to prove that it is possible, and as others have said, you just need to find a good alignment shop that is willing to do a good job and has experience aligning lifted trucks.

2015 4x4 SR5 CrewMax. OME 612s, OME Rear Nitro Charger Sport shocks, Coachbuilder +3 Shackles and poly bushings, Coachbuilder Shim on drivers side, Diff drop, carrier bearing spacer, Zone Offroad UCAs, 295/70R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Method The Standard +18mm wheels.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesler1 For This Useful Post:
GR8White (08-26-2017), MtnClimber (08-26-2017)
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
The number of clueless or lazy alignment techs is disturbing. This isn't rocket science. Why in the **** would any of them quit when the camber is clearly out of spec? That's going to wear your tires in a hurry.

The cams on the UCA are used to move the lower balljoint fore-aft, and in-out. If you have UCAs then your caster (fore-aft) is going to be fine; there is a wide range that is "ok". Dial your cams to move the LCA out until camber is good. Unless *both* of them are maxed out, then you haven't reached the limit.

2016 SR DC Long 4x4 5.7L. Intermittent wipers added (?!). MB TKO 18x9 +25. Hankook Dynapro ATM 325/65r18 (34.6x13) Future Offroad RV plans: Bed removed, homebuilt camper installed. Rear seat removed to make room for storage and bikes. King or ADS shocks with 700 lb springs, ~2" lift (may cheap out though). Rear leaves, maybe air bags. And more!
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
These numbers are actually in spec and a ton better than what they were (+1.5). I'm happy with these.

2015 4x4 SR5 CrewMax. OME 612s, OME Rear Nitro Charger Sport shocks, Coachbuilder +3 Shackles and poly bushings, Coachbuilder Shim on drivers side, Diff drop, carrier bearing spacer, Zone Offroad UCAs, 295/70R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Method The Standard +18mm wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in