1.5" lift shackles, TRD exhaust and leaf spring issues. - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1.5" lift shackles, TRD exhaust and leaf spring issues.

Guys about a week ago I installed some Toytec shackles set at max height (1.5" lift) on my 17 TRD DC along with 6112s(max)/5100s rear. What I noticed is how I have anywhere between 1/2"-3/4" clearance now between the leaf springs and the TRD dual exhaust pipes where they cross underneath. At first I didn't see any issues until I took the truck for a spirited ride down some rough stuff. What I constantly heard is the leaf springs contacting the exhaust pipes during any sort of sharp rough recoil on the rear end. Needless to say it is f-ing annoying and I DO NOT like the idea of my pipes making contact with the springs and vice versa. On the road 99% on the time no contact is made but hit a frost heave/speed bump or a sharp rut and you definitely hear the *ting of the pipes hitting once again. I'm open to suggestions short of cutting off the pipes prior to traveling under the leaf spring. Not going to happen there.

I was thinking of either bending the exhaust hangers a bit hopefully dropping the tips down an inch?? or maybe getting some different exhaust hanger bushings which have an extended length to accomplish the same thing.

I cannot be the first person to ever complain about this as I know other people have installed Coachs +3s and Toytec Shackles set on max (1.5") on their TRD exhaust trucks. What I couldn't find it any info about it on this site. I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance here. I do not want to drop the shackles to the 1" setting either as I think the truck looks perfect with the slight rake to the rear right now. Thanks!!

2017 Silver Sky TRD SR5 DC. Bilstein 6112 (top setting), 5100 in rear, Toytec Shackles 1.5", Nitto Ridge Grapplers 275/70R18, TRD exhaust, TRD Intake, TRD rear sway bar, TRD PRO skid plate, OEM Remote starter, OEM all-weather floor mats, Truxedo Lo-Pro Tonneau, GoRhino RB10 running boards, tint and blacked-out badging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2017, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting situation. I've got a 17 TRD DC w/ 5100s front and back and the TRD exhaust. I have a set of Coach +2s that I'll be putting on this weekend. I've also got a set of Firestone air bags though. Right now from leaf to exhaust I see around 2.75" of clearance w/ the air bags at about 20lbs. The +2s should allow me to drop to minimal pressure in the bags, I'm curious to see how that and the +2s effects the clearance.

2017 Black SR5 TRD DC
285/75R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs
TRD Dual Exhaust
5100s Front/Back, CB +2s
Firestone Air Bags, Cabin Control
Lock'er Down Console Safe
Old 07-01-2017, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I was looking at the same shackles and visited Toytec to look at them but they immediately told me they'll contact the TRD exhaust. It even states this on the webpage " **For vehicles with the TRD Exhaust, the exhaust will need to be modified to work with shackles." However, Ekstrom design told me that their +2 shackles will barely touch the exhaust, only when I'm extremely flexed out. Not sure why the difference between the two but I ordered the +2 CB shackles so I will see if that's true or not. I'm not sure how their +3 shackles would work with the TRD exhaust though. If all else fails, I'll sell the CB shackles and throw a 1" block back there. There was just a lot of positive reviews on the CB shackles so I went that way. They should be here this week.

I think you could possibly bend the exhaust hangers down a little and/or get longer rubber hangers to move the exhaust. I'm hoping I don't have to go this route as well, I don't really like the exhaust hanging too low.

2017 TRD PRO Cement Tundra DC
Bone stock, so far.....
2008 4RUNNER SR5 4X4 V6
Bilstein 6112 w/ Kings, Icon rear coils, Fox shocks, ST Maxx, RCI skids, Stubbs Sliders, Rokmen arms, LC 80 snorkel, and some other stuff..
2014 4RUNNER TRAIL EDITION
Icons, SAW coils, Camburg UCAs, Nitto RG's, RCI skids, BudBuilt sliders, ProComp wheels, Pelfreybilt bumper, Smitty winch

Old 07-01-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys. I will most likely try bending down the hangers a bit but may also add some stiffer poly bushings for the exhaust. The stock rubber ones bounce quite a bit when I did some experimenting. Otherwise I think if I gained an inch more in space no issues will be existent anymore. When contact is made it isn't any sort of deadening "bang" but more of a *ting *ting sound which means contact is JUST happenning. I could only imagine coachs plus 3s would do the same thing. How couldn't they??? I know the coachs plus 2s are a bit shorter than the toytecs maxed out like I have.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,045 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Thanks for this post, OP. It's good to know for sure.

To the guys who are getting +2 CB...Please keep us posted on if there is any contact when driving on-road or off-road. I don't off-road, but still would like to know if the +2 shackles will limit me. Especially if hitting speed bumps at a high rate of speed

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust | Full VLEDS | 2018 OEM LED Headlights & Fog Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
I just dumped my exhaust after the axle and rewelded the tip back on. Actually looks cleaner with no tailpipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Rockwarrior Crewmax
6" Fabtech
20x12 MotoMetal 962's
Skyjacker 4.5" full leaf
Coach +2 shackles
Old 07-01-2017, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Here's a follow-up after installing the +2s. TRD exhaust clearance went from 2.75" to 1.5" which makes sense since they provide 1.25" of lift. Brought the air bag pressure back down to between 5 and 10 psi. Rubber exhaust hangers do move around and flex a bit, probably a good 1/2". Also lost a fair amount of spare tire clearance, but that's to be expected as these things are beefy.

Ride is much better, you can definitely tell a difference. I went down to the local shopping center and had some fun hitting those big ass table top speed bumps with some force, didn't notice any metal on metal contact. Not sure if the air bags are playing a role at all. Some of the local patrons were probably wondering what the hell I was doing. Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg coachbuilder-plus-2-2.jpeg (110.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpeg coachbuilder-plus-2.jpeg (136.6 KB, 111 views)

2017 Black SR5 TRD DC
285/75R18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs
TRD Dual Exhaust
5100s Front/Back, CB +2s
Firestone Air Bags, Cabin Control
Lock'er Down Console Safe
The Following User Says Thank You to seikoh For This Useful Post:
Watt maker (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Nice. I can see from your pics the coachs +2s gave you a bit more clearance than the toytecs maxed out. But....I have the stance I want (1" rake) and will not consider swapping. As for ride, I did opt for the poly replacement bushings as well and I will definitly confirm a huge rear and ride improvement! No more shimmy shakes from the bed area or anything. I was hesitant at first reading about the upgrade for the poly and the possible difference it could make....oh it certainly does!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to TF-41 For This Useful Post:
Watt maker (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
I have CB +2s and TRD duals. Havent hit the leafs yet but also haven't wheeled much lately. Subd to see how everyone handles this.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leks View Post
I just dumped my exhaust after the axle and rewelded the tip back on. Actually looks cleaner with no tailpipes.

@Leks , did you dump a TRD muffler?

2012 RW DC. ADS Coilovers and Piggybacks, MCM Fab UCA's, CB +3ís, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, full audio system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-41 View Post
Thanks guys. I will most likely try bending down the hangers a bit but may also add some stiffer poly bushings for the exhaust. The stock rubber ones bounce quite a bit when I did some experimenting. Otherwise I think if I gained an inch more in space no issues will be existent anymore. When contact is made it isn't any sort of deadening "bang" but more of a *ting *ting sound which means contact is JUST happenning. I could only imagine coachs plus 3s would do the same thing. How couldn't they??? I know the coachs plus 2s are a bit shorter than the toytecs maxed out like I have.
I've heard of the toytec shackles making contact somewhere else when on the 1" setting. People seem to love them because they're not as expensive as the CB shackles but that also goes to show you how much research and testing @Coachbuilder1 does on his products. Not to mention I know there are some people out west who use his shackles with TRD pipes and really wheel their trucks

2012 RW DC. ADS Coilovers and Piggybacks, MCM Fab UCA's, CB +3ís, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, full audio system

Last edited by GR8White; 07-02-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8White View Post
@Leks , did you dump a TRD muffler?

Sorry just skimmed through the post. I don't have the TRD duals, it's just a magnaflow muffler swap.

2013 Rockwarrior Crewmax
6" Fabtech
20x12 MotoMetal 962's
Skyjacker 4.5" full leaf
Coach +2 shackles
Old 07-02-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I know the Toytec shackles will make contact with a bolt end coming down from the bed on either the passenger or drivers side on 1" setting. Mine are maxed at 1.5". Definitly no contact. It's just funny to realize how a .25" difference from coachs +2 and a Toytec maxed out (1.5") is such a difference as far as lead spring clearance. Again I would like to hear from guys running coach +3s and TRD exhausts and see if they have any issues????
Old 07-02-2017, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I have the +2 coachbuilders on my PRO and when the truck is in the air with suspension fully extended it does not hit the exhaust. It is mighty close but doesn't hit.

2017 Tundra (that crazy grey color) TRD Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to Currentking For This Useful Post:
Watt maker (07-03-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
on my truck, with OME 2.5" lift springs and 2" rear shackles (6" front lift/4" rear) and my factory single exhaust hit the leaf spring frequently. Had a local shop weld extension to the exhaust hanger on the pipe and it lowered the tailpipe enough so there is no contact. Total cost $35....

2014 Tundra DC, 5.7 Supercharged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in