Fox 2.5 DSC Coilover Question? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Fox 2.5 DSC Coilover Question?

This is probably a stupid question but are the Fox 2.5" DSC coilovers that come as an upgrade with various aftermarket drop bracket lifts like the BDS 4.5" lift unique to those lift kits or are they just the off the shelf Fox units that could be used on a stock Tundra to lift it.

I only ask because I have an opportunity to buy a new set of Fox 2.5" coilovers with the DSC adjusters from a BDS 4.5" lift. I have no interest in a drop bracket lift but I'd love to have the coilovers on my truck if they will bolt up?

Thanks for any help.

2008 Seqouia LTD - Expo Rig - 5100s, Rock Warriors, KO2s, TG Rock Sliders, Rhino Platform, 50s Flowmaster, Yakima Awning and lots of camping gear

2011 Tundra CM TRD RW - 6112/5160s, 17" Bronze Method NVs, 35" Falken A/T3W, Softopper, MBRP Exhaust, Rhino Rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Not sure about the coilovers that come with the 4.5" bds but the coilovers that came with my 7" bds actually say they are for 4-6" of lift (the extra inch comes from the top mounting bracket on the coilover). So if the set that comes with the 4.5" kit are adjustable down to say 2"-3" you should be able to bolt them right up. This is assuming you are wanting to lift/level the truck. Give fox a call and they should be able to tell you what lift height they can adjust down to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikYota View Post
Not sure about the coilovers that come with the 4.5" bds but the coilovers that came with my 7" bds actually say they are for 4-6" of lift (the extra inch comes from the top mounting bracket on the coilover). So if the set that comes with the 4.5" kit are adjustable down to say 2"-3" you should be able to bolt them right up. This is assuming you are wanting to lift/level the truck. Give fox a call and they should be able to tell you what lift height they can adjust down to.

That makes sense. thanks for the tips.

2008 Seqouia LTD - Expo Rig - 5100s, Rock Warriors, KO2s, TG Rock Sliders, Rhino Platform, 50s Flowmaster, Yakima Awning and lots of camping gear

2011 Tundra CM TRD RW - 6112/5160s, 17" Bronze Method NVs, 35" Falken A/T3W, Softopper, MBRP Exhaust, Rhino Rack

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
From browsing pics on the interwebs it looks like the threaded shock body is actually longer on the bracket lift 2.5.

2005 DC 4x4
Fox 2.5's front/ 2.0 rear
TC UCA
Method Double Standard 17"
Falken AT3 285/70/17

Last edited by SethNautique; 05-09-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: I was wrong?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethNautique View Post
From browsing pics on the interwebs it looks like the threaded shock body is actually longer on the bracket lift 2.5.
That's the same conclusion I've drawn. Too bad because the coilovers are new in box and a great deal. I've decided to go with a set of 6112s anyways.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethNautique View Post

I'm not really sure what you are suggesting? The coil-over is adjustable to accommodate different amounts of lift. Like is said, the set that came with my 7" lift have an adjustable range of 2" according to fox. You would just have to call and see what the range is on the set that comes with the 4.5" lift.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The problem isn't the shock/spring itself it's the mounting rod at the bottom. The Fox coilovers I was looking at were built for the BDS 4.5" drop bracket lift so the mount on the coilover is actually extended a few inches longer than just an off the shelf Fox coilover for our trucks. The mounts are extended to compensate for the lower position of the LCA with the BDS drop bracket installed.

I did consider buying them anyways and having the bottoms swapped out for a set of normal bottoms but after speaking with Keith @dirtydeeds it seems as though Fox would be difficult to obtain specific parts from, if they would even sell them.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Maybe you can uncrank them all the way up and see how much lift you get. If it's a great deal you can always resale them if they don't work ou for you.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_White_Whale View Post
The problem isn't the shock/spring itself it's the mounting rod at the bottom. The Fox coilovers I was looking at were built for the BDS 4.5" drop bracket lift so the mount on the coilover is actually extended a few inches longer than just an off the shelf Fox coilover for our trucks. The mounts are extended to compensate for the lower position of the LCA with the BDS drop bracket installed.

I did consider buying them anyways and having the bottoms swapped out for a set of normal bottoms but after speaking with Keith @dirtydeeds it seems as though Fox would be difficult to obtain specific parts from, if they would even sell them.
I'm guessing you're in Florida?
I came across those 4.5 Fox BDS Lift coilovers as well and that is a good deal

AZTC #70, 14TC #42
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 03:45 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I pulled off my King shocks because I been thinking of doing something different now. They will be for sale if your interested.

Although BDS lift is a good choice if you don't mind hacking up your crossmember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in