Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Help me justify performance suspension

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  TundraGang 
#1 ·
So I am officially addicted to adding on to my truck. My last mod I added 5100's up front to level for my 33's and 20in wheels which is fine and rides better than stock.

However, for my next mod I want something solid that I can enjoy and increase the value of the truck i'm considering some custom leather seats and also I think some Kings/Icons/Fox would be awesome.

my truck is a street queen unfortunately but is 4x4 so I definetly have option/plan on going offroad every now and then.

I realize there is a difference in price with leather being cheaper but this is the suspension talk section so help me justify getting some Kings or Icons or Fox!?!?! Please ;)

#17 ·
I second this motion! Though, the Fox 2.0 or 2.5 non-resi would also be a good option. I've been very happy with my 6112/Fox 2.0rr combo. The 6112's are a HUGE improvement over stock suspension, both on and off road. Cornering is much improved over stock, even with the softer spring rate of the 6112's. I recently removed my rear sway bar and would say that corning is close to what the truck was with stock TRD suspension with the rear sway bar.

The two big advantages I see with the 6112 over Fox 2.0 coil overs are 1) simplicity - the 6112's have a snap ring with 4(? I think) preset heights, so no need to fiddle with counting threads on each side and measuring fenders; and 2) larger bore shock for longer life and better(IMO) off-the-shelf valving. The two advantages the Fox shocks have over the 6112's are 1) if you like to tinker, you can dial in the right height EXACTLY where you want it with the coil overs; and, 2) I believe they are rebuildable/revalvable. From what it sounds like to me, neither of those two options appeal much to you.

That was the debate I had. I started saving for the Fox setup and found the rears for a good price so put them on. When the 6112's came out, I jumped ship on the Fox's and am happy I went with the 6112's.

As for the rear Fox 2.0's, I like them; they are better than stock because they provide a smoother unloaded. I would describe it as a little less compression valving (doesn't kick the back end up as bad when you hit a bump) and more rebound valving. There are a few places where seams in the road are spaced just perfectly to get obnoxious with the stock shocks because the back end is bucking up and down rapidly. The Fox shocks help alleviate some of that. However, it doesn't dampen super heavy loads as well as the stockers. I may swap them out and try the 5160's in the rear.

6112's are more of the poor-mans TRD Pro shocks :D Not as much travel and no remote reservoir, but they fill the gap between 5100's and Pro's/high dollar gear nicely.

#3 ·
mods don't increase your resale, they do however increase your street cred

#4 ·
increase the VALUE of the truck haha but I get what your saying I just bought this damn thing and got it cause toyota is reliable so don't plan on selling anytime soon but don't want to over due it or make bad decisions.

aghh thinking out side of the box jaj.. 6112 and 5160's is like the trd pro suspension right? The idea of both sounds nice though.. is there any fox/king/icon comparison to that ?

#5 ·
Could go with the fox 2.0 front and rear. That's what I'm thinking of doing. Not as expensive as the high dollar fox kings and icon and extreme overpriced TRD Pro suspension stuff but little better then the bilstein stuff. Fox has 2.0 resi for rear. Could do the fox 2.5 non resi for front also.

Check out katskinz for leather. Can get custom setup or just easy one color. They replace the factory covers. And you can find them on eBay for $500-600 for a whole set sometimes. I'm gonna do it myself cause i will make it back plus some on trade in if I ever do.

#6 ·
thanks ill take a look at their leather options.. I will not be installing and i've seen tons of aftermarket trucks/vehicles with roadwire leather products which come out under $2k installed which doesn't seem bad to me plus the HQ is pretty close to me.

As far as the suspension it seems like the fox are priced to basically get the resi for only couple hundred more but something to consider. A few questions since i have ride height 5100's up front can they just be moved to the back and then add 6112's up front? I don't want to be cheap but i want to consider my options.. Also is it a sin to ride different brands up front than in the back? I'm trying to not be a sinner these days haha. I'm also trying to not be cheap... and so far on this forum it seems to be unanimous that king > fox > icon > the rest

#7 ·
No the fronts can't be moved to the rear.

And run what you want. I have learned that in some forums the top brands are usually always going to be recommended no matter what your circumstance is or what your wanting to do. Some even blast you for recommending something other then what the mods or "elite" recommend.

This forum is not like that. For the most part it's pretty open discussion and a lot of brands are recommended.

Yea the fox 2.0 resi are not much more expensive but honestly you prolly don't even need them if your gonna be 99% on road and the offroad prolly won't be hardcore enough to need resi. <--- I'm assuming I could be wrong.

#8 ·
thanks mr. dunn you have lots of valid points so I might as well ask you... I see tons of ppl talking shims/shackles/as;ljfsdljfasldjfaldsj.... I'm guess those are just used as a spacer so dont have to set adjustable shocks/coilovers at maximum and/or get a little extra height?

#9 · (Edited)
Shackles lift the rear of the truck. Shims are "baby spacers" coachbuilder sells to lift the front only one side or both sides of an existing lift. Ie to balance out the driver side lean.

Adjustable coilovers run $1,400-1,600 for the pair. Plus you'll need a set of UCAs for alignment. Well you could add UCAs later if the truck tends to wander on the highway.

My .02 is to save money on the suspension since it's a street Queen. Having 4x4 is great and allows you to explore off road with your current setup. I would get 17 or 18in rims before I got another suspension system. More sidewall = more rubber to help absorb bumps and obstacles. But then it's a street queen so that doesn't matter.

Here's my truck before going with Long Travel:

ADS front coilovers/UCAs. Rear piggyback shocks and Deaver K37 leaf pack and rear total chaos shackles.

#11 ·
yea i hear ya. nice set up! looks nice, I love the look of the fiberglass fenders very pricey though

#15 ·
A better view of the truck. The fiberglass fenders and bedsides fit 37s no problem. Still need to run 1.25 wheel spacers due to the +50mm offset.

Looks Good! You got LT and fat tires to fill the bulge nicely. On stock length control arms and no spacers though? That just doesn't look right when the fenders flare out like 4-6" past the tires. Lol

#18 ·
thanks good info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.