Any tips?? Deaver install planned for tomorrow... - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Any tips?? Deaver install planned for tomorrow...

Anyone have any Tundra specific tips for installing leaf springs on Gen 2's??

New springs (K37's), u-bolts, shackles (Total Chaos), shackle hardware and brake-line relocation brackets.

I was told that it is a good idea to disconnect the ABS sensor and unbolt the brake line bracket before starting.

Anything else??? Thanks in advance...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 5.7L | Gibson | K&N | Fox | Total Chaos UCA | Deaver K37 | TC Shackles | Power Stop | AO Armor 18x9 +10mm | BFG 305/65 KO2 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage
i am sure you installed already but yeah do your brake line stuff first.... I never disconnected ABS but not a bad idea. I did it myself but a buddy would make moving those springs easier. lube up those bushing well and go to town!

Keep your lettuce crisp, and your hair low and loose.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissipator16 View Post
i am sure you installed already but yeah do your brake line stuff first.... I never disconnected ABS but not a bad idea. I did it myself but a buddy would make moving those springs easier. lube up those bushing well and go to town!
Got them already, but thanks for thinking of me

I just unscrewed the brake line bracket and ABS bracket to give some flex as a "Just in Case".

I did the driver's side myself - which was actually the more difficult side as it was the one with the frozen shackle pin. I had to unbolt the u-bolts, then front perch, then the rear shackle. Since the entire pack could move, BUT the ABS stuff was in the way, I had to carefully slide it over then twisted it to get it clear and out. Not bad, and I'm a bulky guy, but certainly two hands would have helped.

On the passenger side, my buddy wasn't called into work (a pilot's life!) and came over to help with the other side and rear brakes.

I wire-wheeled every bolt going back in, used new u-bolts torqued to factory spec (~77 ft lbs I think) and used synthetic bushing grease on all the pins and bushing ends. After driving about 300 miles, I retorqued all fasteners, and then used some white paint to mark them as torqued and to allow quick visual if they should move.

| 5.7L | Gibson | K&N | Fox | Total Chaos UCA | Deaver K37 | TC Shackles | Power Stop | AO Armor 18x9 +10mm | BFG 305/65 KO2 |
|
|

The Following User Says Thank You to pc1p For This Useful Post:
Über Drunk (12-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in