SO, does anyone have a 3" lift that does NOT have the steering wheel shake? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
UPDATED: Does anyone have a 3" leveling kit that does NOT have the steering shake?

I've researched and read and asked around and beat my head against the wall. I've had my tires rotated and balanced several times including road force balanced, had my alignment rechecked and I can't find a fix for it other than "Take the lift out and put it back to stock height. There has got to be a solution. I have read that it could be the steering rack bushings, which I haven't had a chance to check those. I have 275/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 20" factory wheels, so it isn't like I'm running an overly aggressive tread that is causing it. It's not a bad shake, but it sure is annoying. If anyone has had this and solved it, please let me know so I can try to get mine fixed. Thanks for any and all advice or tips.

UPDATE: Well, I have narrowed my problem to 2 wheels, I had a shop move my front tires to the back and back tires to the front, and no more shaking in the steering wheel, smooth as a babies butt. But now I have a small vibration in the cabin of my truck that wasn't there before the tire switch, so I definately know it is one or both of the tires that was previously on the front of my truck. I have an appointment tomorrow to have the two on rear now checked out to and try to get the shake out of them. Hopefully I will have this solved in the next 24 hours lol. Thanks to everyone for all of the tips and suggestions. Helps to go into these places with a little knowledge and not completely depend on the guys that work there, because honestly, it is looking like some of them know less then some of you guys that don't work there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150910_174540.jpg (193.9 KB, 52 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If it aint broke, I haven't had my hands on it yet!"l

2010 Platinum CM
Rough Country 3"/1.5" Leveling Kit
20" Factory Platinum wheels Plasti Dipped!
275/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers

Last edited by Yoda68; 09-14-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: **Added latest alignment numbers**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Not trying to sound mean but just my observation

You have the rough country 3 in leveling kit- which is not an expensive kit. So I am assuming that you did not buy upper control arms. I know not everyone needs them at 3 in lift, but dirtydeeds has said many times that they are needed once you reach 2 in and above to be able to have a nice driving truck (basically not dealing with what you are dealing with) This is due to caster

my truck has like 2.75 inches. and my camber adjustment is maxed out and its still not where it should be. that means my caster is not correct. I need to get UCAs just to get a good alignment and im not even at the normal 3 in yet. however, a shop will tell me its within spec, which it is, but I want a specific spec so that i dont have to deal with the issues you are dealing with

the other thing, do you have wheel spacers? if you have wheel spacers those could also be a cause. if they balanced your tires and said they balanced fine then the tires and wheels are not an issue.

to answer your question, yes you can have 3 in without shake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 MGM tundra
Prorunner SS, 2 CB shims, CB +2 shackles, Camburg balljoint UCAs
295/70/18 Cooper ST Maxx
TRD supercharged
The Following User Says Thank You to mgtund For This Useful Post:
Yoda68 (09-10-2015)
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 4,579 Times in 2,662 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda68 View Post
I've researched and read and asked around and beat my head against the wall. I've had my tires rotated and balanced several times including road force balanced, had my alignment rechecked and I can't find a fix for it other than "Take the lift out and put it back to stock height. There has got to be a solution. I have read that it could be the steering rack bushings, which I haven't had a chance to check those. I have 275/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 20" factory wheels, so it isn't like I'm running an overly aggressive tread that is causing it. It's not a bad shake, but it sure is annoying. If anyone has had this and solved it, please let me know so I can try to get mine fixed. Thanks for any and all advice or tips.
It's a balancing issue... I fought it for a while with my 305/55/20 Terra Grapplers... finally rotated the tires 1/4 turn on the rims and it went away... but it came back easily if you hit the least amount of a bump... Switched to 35x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers and have been perfect ever since.

11 Tundra CM 4x4 TRD Offroad, Spruce Mica, Zone 3/1, 20x9 XD Black Hoss, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grappler, TRD Skidplate, Sunroof, Cold Weather Package, Clarion NX501 NAV/DVD, 2 DC Audio 10's, custom ported box, CT Sounds 1400.1D, XenonVision HID's, Plasmaglow Fire and Ice Light Bar, Rhino Liner Hardline, Tri-Fold Bedcover
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stroked383z For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (09-11-2015), Yoda68 (09-10-2015)

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
i would think so too but the shop should say if they are balanced or not. I would hope that he isnt going to the same place and having them balance and them not tell him anything.

2011 MGM tundra
Prorunner SS, 2 CB shims, CB +2 shackles, Camburg balljoint UCAs
295/70/18 Cooper ST Maxx
TRD supercharged
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtund View Post
Not trying to sound mean but just my observation

You have the rough country 3 in leveling kit- which is not an expensive kit. So I am assuming that you did not buy upper control arms. I know not everyone needs them at 3 in lift, but dirtydeeds has said many times that they are needed once you reach 2 in and above to be able to have a nice driving truck (basically not dealing with what you are dealing with) This is due to caster

my truck has like 2.75 inches. and my camber adjustment is maxed out and its still not where it should be. that means my caster is not correct. I need to get UCAs just to get a good alignment and im not even at the normal 3 in yet. however, a shop will tell me its within spec, which it is, but I want a specific spec so that i dont have to deal with the issues you are dealing with

the other thing, do you have wheel spacers? if you have wheel spacers those could also be a cause. if they balanced your tires and said they balanced fine then the tires and wheels are not an issue.

to answer your question, yes you can have 3 in without shake.
Thanks for the reply...I understand that the 3/1 leveling kit isn't the best way to go, and may not be my permanent option, but I just wanted to level it up and get the front rake out of it...which I did almost immediately after I bought the truck. Maybe I should edit my title to specify spacer kit. Not sure that aftermarket uca's will fix it, but I'm by no means an expert on any of this stuff lol. Gonna try to attach a pic of my alignment numbers after they aligned it today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150910_174540.jpg (193.9 KB, 48 views)

2010 Platinum CM
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Try taking it to a different shop for a balance. Have them rotate the tire on the rims 1/4 a turn. I tried a couple different shops until I found a shop that actually got it worked out for me

11 Tundra CM 4x4 TRD Offroad, Spruce Mica, Zone 3/1, 20x9 XD Black Hoss, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grappler, TRD Skidplate, Sunroof, Cold Weather Package, Clarion NX501 NAV/DVD, 2 DC Audio 10's, custom ported box, CT Sounds 1400.1D, XenonVision HID's, Plasmaglow Fire and Ice Light Bar, Rhino Liner Hardline, Tri-Fold Bedcover
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stroked383z For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked383z View Post
Try taking it to a different shop for a balance. Have them rotate the tire on the rims 1/4 a turn. I tried a couple different shops until I found a shop that actually got it worked out for me
I will give that a try, hopefully it will help. Like I said, it's not shaking the truck...just an irritating steering wheel shake.

2010 Platinum CM
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda68 View Post
I will give that a try, hopefully it will help. Like I said, it's not shaking the truck...just an irritating steering wheel shake.
If it's in the steering wheel it's the front tires... if you notice the shaking in your seat it's the rear tires. The shop that can't get it balanced may give your money back if you ask. Mine did

The Following User Says Thank You to stroked383z For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (09-11-2015)
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
My ome 612 does not shake at all
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
You have a tire issue. I started out with 3" leveling kit and have changed out lifts till now and I'm at 11" of lift now with 37" and smooth as can be, had a shake one time in the past and it was tires and believe it or not they were terra grapplers 325/60/18 they ended up replacing the two fronts and my steering shake went away. Try the rotating on the wheel and if that doesn't fix it make them replace the tires.

SOLD-2010 Tundra Crewmax,Silver Sky Tundra Club Member #80, Blacked out bumpers and grill, PD'd badges, CST 3.5" Spindles, Light Racing UCA's, Pro Comp Pro Runner struts, ProRyde spacers, Performance Accessories 3" body lift, Coachbuilder +3's w/ poly bushings, Coachbuilder Tie Rod Ends, Hypertech speedo calibrator, Hypertech interceptor, 37x12.50r30 Toyo Open Country RT's, XD Monsters 20x10 -12 offset, Coachbuilder driveline spacer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bad4$$tundra For This Useful Post:
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad4$$tundra View Post
You have a tire issue. I started out with 3" leveling kit and have changed out lifts till now and I'm at 11" of lift now with 37" and smooth as can be, had a shake one time in the past and it was tires and believe it or not they were terra grapplers 325/60/18 they ended up replacing the two fronts and my steering shake went away. Try the rotating on the wheel and if that doesn't fix it make them replace the tires.
No way I can get the tires replaced, I bought the truck used a month ago and these were on it, although they look brand new.

2010 Platinum CM
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,057 Times in 710 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
You have a caster issue. Low caster can and will cause steering wheel shimmy. If your alignment is the best that can be done then you definitely need some uca's to get your alignment back to where it belongs.

I'm not judging...I'm just sayin

The Following User Says Thank You to l1tech For This Useful Post:
Yoda68 (09-10-2015)
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
i had the same issue when i had my truck lifted (6" pro comp stage 1) on 35's and 20x9's. I took the truck back to get the tires balanced and they were able to get it fixed. It solved the issue and rode great. My truck now sits stock height with the exception of a leveling kit(not sure if it is 2.5 or 3") and 20x12's with 305/50R20 nitro 420 i have really bad stirring wheel shake only when breaking I have the factory rotors with 140k miles on my truck. I am hoping new rotors/ pads will help fix it, the whole truck shakes to a stop. New coil overs/rear shocks are next on my list. Good luck!

follow me on [email protected]
Wheels:20x12 -44 Moto Metal 962
Tires:305/50R20 Nitto 420
Performance Upgrades:
-TRD supercharger, Bamufflers exhaust w/ e-cutouts, Bullydog, spoolin shift kit
Exterior Upgrades:color matched door handles and mirror covers, custom retrofit headlights, "TRD" door projectors, color matched 2010 rock warrior grille
Interior upgrades: led gauge swap, color matched interior trim
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1tech View Post
You have a caster issue. Low caster can and will cause steering wheel shimmy. If your alignment is the best that can be done then you definitely need some uca's to get your alignment back to where it belongs.
Thanks, I will look into that. Thanks for the reply

2010 Platinum CM
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordans_Tundra View Post
i had the same issue when i had my truck lifted (6" pro comp stage 1) on 35's and 20x9's. I took the truck back to get the tires balanced and they were able to get it fixed. It solved the issue and rode great. My truck now sits stock height with the exception of a leveling kit(not sure if it is 2.5 or 3") and 20x12's with 305/50R20 nitro 420 i have really bad stirring wheel shake only when breaking I have the factory rotors with 140k miles on my truck. I am hoping new rotors/ pads will help fix it, the whole truck shakes to a stop. New coil overs/rear shocks are next on my list. Good luck!
Yeah, mine isn't a rotor issue I know, can't feel it when I hit the breaks. It's only when I get to about 65 mph that it really starts, and even there it isn't a horrible shake, not like some I've read about, but it is still very annoying when driving.

2010 Platinum CM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in