Concerns buying 16í Tundra Platinum - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Concerns buying 16í Tundra Platinum

I have been doing research on trucks for over a month now, and have decided to go with the Tundra after riding in a 1794 edition. I looked around the area, and found a CPO Ď16 Platinum Tundra with 46k miles about 4 hours from my house. It was a leased vehicle. I got all the financing in order from a local place (2 hours), and drove to the dealer yesterday to purchase the truck (about 4 hours one way). Itís been on the dealers lot for about half a year now.

The truck looked awesome. There were some issues though. The passenger chrome mirror cap was busted, and there wasnít any previous maintenance records, except for after the trade-in. My father and I test drove it, and noticed significant wobble. We were looking through the paperwork in the truck, and found the dealer did an alignment, mounted and balanced the current tires, and resurfaced the rotors. Upon closer inspection, all 4 tires were dry rotted, and around 50% tread life. During the test drive, I noticed the turns felt like I was on a boat on a windy day. The floating sensation during a turn gave me a headache.

The dealer offered to send me a check for 2 tires if I ended up buying the vehicle. I ultimately walked away from the truck, though I really liked the Tundra platform. I havenít run into the headache issue before (perhaps my inner ears and equilibrium were playing tricks on me yesterday), or it was the tires/suspension.

Would you be concerned with the wobble, or would that be fixed by new tires? Also, any suggestions on the suspension and how to fix that during the ride? I didnít really want to spend $36k on a vehicle that already needs ride repairs. I do understand that itís a used vehicle and some wear and tear items need to be replaced. I guess I am just looking for some guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I would be concerned with not only what you do know, but more importantly (to me), what you don't know. The lack of information on the truck is pretty surprising and would make it easy for me to move on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Thanked 10,674 Times in 5,759 Posts
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
The lack of service records is odd, as the first two years should have had free maintenance. Typically diy guys use the free ones, then stop when they are done. Some guys don't, but most will use at least one freebie.

The soft suspension/boaty ride is typical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
You did the right thing walking away.

No maintenance records? It had Toyota Care (free oil changes) for the first two years. Records should exist.

If the tires are in poor shape on a 2-3 year old truck, and there are no records, that leads me to believe that the truck wasn't maintained well. I've got every receipt for every service on my 2016.

No wobbles. Good tires.

There are better trucks out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,380 Posts
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
No records and being a lease vehicle I'd pass on it.
Some people that lease don't care about maintenance because it is a lease vehicle..

My wife has bought her last 3 vehicles used, but they were dealer demos.
They all had maintenance records and low mileage..

If you are new to Tundras, I'd suggest a TRD rear sway bar if you end up buying a Tundra.
It helps a lot on turns and even highway ramps at higher speeds.

https://parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.co...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you all for your feedback. I am back on the hunt for the right truck for me. It's difficult to find a used one since the new ones are a little out of my price range.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Check carfax for ownership history in areas that were recently flooded. Even if there's no history shown of repair, even if there's no evidence of water damage, I avoid anything that even MIGHT have been immersed. They fix everything except the electrical gremlins and sub-upholstery/carpet rust that turns up about 3 months later.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

I would ask for new tires from the dealership. Then test drive again with new tires and check for alignment & shocks. Then offer your best price....or walk away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Purchasing / Price / Release / Incentives Info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in