User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pricing "game"

I am very irritated with the whole process of buying my new truck. Nothing out of the ordinary, I guess, but I never researched the cost data seriously until now, because I never really considered the "extended warranty" at sale time until this truck purchase- they caught me on "the new vehicles have all kinds of expensive computers in them these days"

I was quoted $6750 for the Toyota VSA and PMP. I was told that if I agreed, they would throw in a $550 Rhino bedliner, the Toyota wheel/tire protection plan and the 3rd party undercoating/fabric protection package, plus they'd finance it for 72 months instead of 60 months at 0%. The original offer was to pay for all 4 of these things, then they kept making things "free" until we got to this point. I don't remember all the exact numbers for the length of time of the coverages, and they didn't give me any documents with the quoted pricing when I left. They also said that while I could add the Toyota VSA at a later date, it would be much more expensive because my car would then be considered "used". They also said that I needed to commit before I left with the car to get this deal, or again, I'd be dealing with a "used" car, not a new car.

When they handed me the contract- it was presented to me as a "deep" discount to the Toyota VSA, with a cost listed for the undercoating/fabric protection package and a cost for the 0.9% financing for the whole loan term, and I think at least one other item. In fairness, they did say upfront that this is how it would be sent to Toyota, because TFS wouldn't accept it any other way. I became uncomfortable with whole thing, and told them maybe I should just not pick up the car until I had more time to think about it. At that point, they came back and said I could take the car on the original terms (none of the above addons) and then, if I wanted the VSA, PMP, etc., they'd rewrite the contract, as long as I decided by the next business day (which is today).

I'm irritated because, really, I'm not getting anything free, and I would still be paying more for the VSA than I need to, and they lied about my ability to buy the VSA later.

It's made me sour on the truck itself- which I got an ok deal on- though in hindsight, I probably could have done better on that price also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Stealth Ninja Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 32,844 Times in 15,065 Posts
Mentioned: 886 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10796 Post(s)
Garage
Go to another dealer. Easy enough. Not all dealers play these games.

Toyota service plans are the same price all the way up to 3/36.

2015 Tundra CrewMax 1794 2WD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddd

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:45 PM

look around. I agree. There are plenty of dealerships just waiting fro you to walk in and work with you.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sounds sketchy to me. I would pass on this one. Thatís not even a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like your getting bent over to me. I am replacing my 15 with a 2018 the finance rate is 0 for 72 through Toyota that’s the promotion and the Toyota extended out to 125k with fabric protection and all the bs is only 2400ish. So I think finding a better deal would be wise.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
This all happened Saturday- I already purchased the truck- sorry that wasn't clear. I am having a bit of buyers remorse/anger at how I was treated. I posted this as a vent- and also wondering if there is anything I should do at this point to call out the dealership's behavior.

When I threatened to leave and not pick up the truck until Monday so that I would have time to research all the packages they were offering, they wrote up the contract for my original negotiated price without any of the protection packages. Likely, they realized that they'd lose the sale once I checked out the "deal" more thoroughly. At the time, I was uncomfortable with the extras they were offering, but I figured they were just trying to make a fair profit- I had not realized the extent of their willingness to lie/mislead me. I don't think there is anyway I can walk away now that I have taken delivery, or I'd consider it.

I had negotiated the price for the car on Wednesday (the "protection packages" were not discussed until I came to pick up the car on Saturday) and agreed in writing to take the car. I gave a deposit that day and they went to pick it up at another dealership. There were only 7 of the 2018 Limited Double Cabs within 200 miles of me and only this one was a color that worked for me. In New England, Toyota is only offering 60 months at 0%, not 72 months.

I am kicking myself for not doing more research first. I thought I had a good price because it was below the "TMV" listed by Edmunds and only a few dollars above the invoice price listed by Edmunds (which was lower than the TMV). After finding this forum, I realize that I probably could have done better.

I was originally set up for the dealer to install a Rhino bedliner (which they do onsite) and a tonneau cover. I didn't want to give the dealer any more of my money, plus I don't trust that they'll do a thorough job on the prep work and install. I cancelled that appointment and went with a local Line-X installer instead.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Don't beat yourself up. Enjoy your truck.

I just bought another brand compact SUV to replace the wife's Highlander which was totaled last Friday morning. I used a lot of searches in Truecar to gauge where the market was on the vehicles I was looking at. This is the second purchase I've used Truecar for the research. It seems to work OK.

Once I buy a vehicle, I quit looking at that kind of stuff. Life is too short to fret that you might have saved an extra grand if you'd done it differently.

Some folks will dicker for weeks to squeeze out an extra $100 on the final price for a truck that lists for $40,000 or more. That's not me. I've got other things to go do.

"I might have saved more on that truck purchase" -- epitaph on NO headstone, anywhere.

Again, enjoy your truck.

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamRay For This Useful Post:
Bimmerburner (11-14-2018), TK_TUNDRA (11-16-2018)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
When I bought my 2014 Tundra Limited, after the negotiations, I knew it would take 6 weeks to order (only because at the time, none in our tri-state area (OH, WV & PA.) had any with the factory tow mirrors $40 option) they told me the price on the Toyota / factory 8 year / 100k / bumper to bumper / $0 deductible extended warranty. $1750 . Now at pick up, they did throw at me the extended tire / rim warranty ($399). I didn't want to do it, but my wife wanted me to. We did use it once because of a tire while RVing in Alaska got two screws in it and had to be replaced.

The factory 8 / 100k warranty I highly recommend as it is "pro-rated" for the years you don't use, if you buy another Toyota. Or is transferable if you sell the vehicle as a private sale.

Quote:
Some folks will dicker for weeks to squeeze out an extra $100 on the final price for a truck that lists for $40,000 or more. That's not me. I've got other things to go do.
You still have to know what ballpark as far as price you need to be in, unless your accustomed to monthly payments. Originally we were $3500 apart from another dealer 20 miles away. But playing "their" game in reverse, to my advantage, they took another look at my trade (9 year old 4Runner) and beat my "target" price by a few $100. My dealer is only 2 blocks away.....I was happy....I'm still happy with my Trusty Tundra. When your paying cash, one tends to be far more cautious spending it. My new RV trailer, I had quotes that were $10k different between 3-4 dealers. All came down to what value they wanted to give for my 6 year old used RV trailer.

14' Tundra Limited 5.7

Last edited by superslif; 11-15-2018 at 03:51 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
To be honest I would contact Corporate and if you get the survey give them all 0's. It may sound dumb but I know 2 different times people gave bad surveys and got phone calls from dealership saying "I am going to lose my job, what can I do to make this right". They take that stuff very seriously.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Villalpando View Post
To be honest I would contact Corporate and if you get the survey give them all 0's. It may sound dumb but I know 2 different times people gave bad surveys and got phone calls from dealership saying "I am going to lose my job, what can I do to make this right". They take that stuff very seriously.
Yeah, I've heard that, too from a couple different dealerships. I got that pitch when I bought my current Tundra, and then the other day when we bought the CR-V for the wife.

The phrasing they used with us in both instances was, "Please fill out the survey. 10 is good, 9 or less is a fail." Since then I've received texts from the salesman asking how I satisfied I was with the him and the dealer. Good golly, I'd hate to have to run around in fear like that.

Let me clarify my earlier remarks about chasing around to squeeze out the best deal possible. I believe in doing your own due diligence to understand the market space you're working in. The auto markets have evolved over decades and much treasure has been expended by the sellers in that space to understand the psychology of the buyer. I don't try to keep up with it, I just limit my exposure to it. I do some homework and find market averages for my local area and go from there. Once I close the deal, I quit shopping around to satisfy myself after the fact that I got the best deal possible.

We simply don't buy new vehicles very often. Wife and I have only bought 8 new vehicles between the two of us in our entire lives, and we're both 60 years old. We keep them a long time, usually. A couple hundred dollars over a 12-15 year vehicle life span covering 150-200K miles simply doesn't amount to much of a difference.

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,096 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
6750 is an absolute "bending over". How long was that getting you coverage for? IMHO, nobody should buy a PMP, most dealer oil change folks are incompetent at best and downright negligent at worst.

Anytime there is that high pressure to sign now, you know it's because they want you to lock yourself into a corner before you discover the truth.

oh and the "we have to get 10's on the survey" crap is BS. Fill it out honestly ....at this point, NOTHING they do will make them deserve for you to report that it was a perfect experience all the way around. I'd comment about inflated pricing, high pressure tactics, downright lying. and do not, DO NOT convince yourself that you have to be extra nice to them so they will be fair when they service it. That's BS too. Dealerships are like the F'N mob...we have to stop letting them bully us, the CUSTOMER!

Not sure what state you're in but as long as it's not like Florida, you can shop around for the extended protection plans after the sale and even buy from another state for the best deal.

2012 Pearl White 4x4 Sequoia Platinum.

I drink a whiskey drink
I drink a vodka drink
and when I have to pee
I use the kitchen sink

Last edited by Big Shasta; 11-16-2018 at 05:31 AM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
In my experience, dealer selection can matter for Extended Warranty coverage. I was offered the extended warranty when I bought the truck, and turned it down - several times. The dealer made it clear that I could buy it through 3 years/36,000 miles - but lots can happen in that timeframe. Wasn't sure I'd still want the truck at the 3 year/36K timepoint, or if it might have been totaled in the interim. Went back when I had 35K on the clock, and selling dealer quoted me $2999 for Warranty coverage to 5 years and 70K miles. Said I'd think about it and drove to the next dealer - same warranty $1199. A five minute drive saved me $1800.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Looking at a 2019 Double Cab with the 5.7. Unfortunately, I need to give up my 2012 CrewMax Limited because I need the 6 seater. In the process of getting a few dealer quotes. They don't seem to be moving too much. I was hoping with the year coming to a close dealers would be more willing to negotiate. Got one offer for $37,400 and another for $38,600. Unfortunately, both come with the base wheels that really make the truck look cheap. Looking to upgrade to the TRD wheels but was quoted almost $2700 for the upgrade. TrueCar doesn't seem to be helping too much with the 2019 models. Any out there willing to share their pricing? Thanks!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
When I was shopping for a new truck a year or so ago, I was in a dealership (not toyota) and was completing the paperwork for the purchase with the finance guy. He asked me if I wanted the service plan, to which I told him I did not. Over the course of the 15 or so minutes of getting paperwork in order, he pushed the extended service plan on me several more times until it was really annoying me. The fifth or so time he gave me the "new car repairs are expensive" selling point. It was then I backed out of the deal. I told him I changed my mind and didn't want the truck anymore. He asked why, so I told him he was really pushing the extended warranty thing on me, and the more he pushed it, the more I got the feeling his truck was probably not worth the money. I told him, if it was a good product, you wouldn't need a warranty at all. I bought a different make truck.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 04:39 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,419 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandjrey View Post
Looking at a 2019 Double Cab with the 5.7. Unfortunately, I need to give up my 2012 CrewMax Limited because I need the 6 seater. In the process of getting a few dealer quotes. They don't seem to be moving too much. I was hoping with the year coming to a close dealers would be more willing to negotiate. Got one offer for $37,400 and another for $38,600. Unfortunately, both come with the base wheels that really make the truck look cheap. Looking to upgrade to the TRD wheels but was quoted almost $2700 for the upgrade. TrueCar doesn't seem to be helping too much with the 2019 models. Any out there willing to share their pricing? Thanks!

You want a discount and dealers to negotiate, start looking at 2018s instead of 2019s..

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Purchasing / Price / Release / Incentives Info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in