Wait for Tundra Refresh or Get one Now? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wait for Tundra Refresh or Get one Now?

Ok, So I've been wanting a truck for over 3 years now. I've been wanting a Tundra for 2 years, but I haven't done it because they aint free. 50k is a lot of money.
I'm finally in a position that *might* could swing the payments this winter when the 2018s are on close out. However, I could still limp along without one for probably another 2 years or so.

So here's the question: Do I wait for another 2 years - potentially seeing the Tundra refresh & buy that one, or get one now - even if it's via a lease?

Pros for waiting:
* More ability to save up/larger down payment
* 2021 may bring a refresh
* as a separate question: what do people *really* think will come from the refresh?
* The chances of a Diesel is low
* The chances of better MPGs... maybe?
* The chances of more tech?
* What was it like when the 2007 one hit the market - I was told it was a "Giant Leap" for the truck market. Do we expect that again?

Cons for waiting:
* A refresh will likely put the price even higher - matching the ridiculous prices of the big 3.
* I could kill my honda pilot (I use the pilot to pull a 3600# trailer - pilot only is rated for 4500#) during the waiting period.
* The refresh may take longer than 2 years.
* I don't get a truck this fall.

Pros for getting one now:
* I get one now!!!
* It's roughly the same platform/design that's proven itself very reliable.
* It's one of the cheapest half tons on the market. - will it still be as cheap after a refresh?

Cons for getting one now:
* The refresh is only 2 years (or less) away. Spending 50K is still alot of money. $65k for an updated truck is still alot - but worth it?

I don't know. What do you all think? Please tear apart any argument above. I'd love to hear more opinions!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Other than my TV being a Tacoma, I'm in the same boat and have considered all the same stuff. I drove a Tundra today and decided I'm not waiting for the 2021 redesign. I can't wait that long. And who knows? It could be ugly. It could lose the V8. It won't be tried and tested. It will be more expensive.

That's at least what I'm telling myself right now because I want a new truck for camping season.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbxx312 For This Useful Post:
Sam Talbot (04-25-2018)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yep! I agree with all the above.
I put it under the "Pro" column, but it really can't be overstated. The "older" this platform gets the more reliable it proves itself to be.

I do think the redesign will be more expensive for sure. Probably more expensive than a similar offering from the Big 3.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:46 PM
He Has Risen!

Thanked 17,192 Times in 8,068 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Talbot View Post
The "older" this platform gets the more reliable it proves itself to be.
Exactly how I feel.
From all the talk, it sounds like they are moving in the direction that Ford took. Aluminium body parts, bullshit turbo V6, possibly a hybrid version at some point,...and likely more techie garbage to help distract the already overly distracted, terrible drivers in this country.
That shit has no place in a vehicle.
I'm glad I got a Tundra when I did. It's a real truck that can do work and doesn't have any unnecessary horseshit to play with. It has a V8, a bed, a radio and a back up camera. That's as fancy as it needs to be.
I don't want aluminium body parts and dissimilar metals bolted to each other, a little V6 with turbos that will take a shit, or a 55" tv screen in my dash with "apps" to play with when I need to be driving.
Sorry, what was the question?
Oh yeah,.....get one now and if the new version in 2021 is bullshit, you're all set. If you like the new one, trade in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
Sam Talbot (04-25-2018), TOY33 (04-25-2018), Wacked (04-29-2018)
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:47 PM

It's a sweet truck the way it is now. My trailer is a bit heavier and I'm looking forward to an easier tow experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbxx312 For This Useful Post:
Wacked (04-29-2018)
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:51 PM

For what it's worth, the sales guy at the dealership today said Toyota would never ditch the Tundra's V8. Because they only have two trucks, he said, the Tundra has to have a V8 to stay competitive.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:57 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Traded my 2015 offroad for 2018 sport . I really wanted led lights bigger gas tank and other features 2018 has . I thought about waiting , but . The new tundra will probably be more money interest rates higher and maybe it will be ugly . Might loose v8 and unproven platform . Compared to my 2018 I figure new one will not gain that much other than better mpg. Also I had a bunch of add ons , on my 2015 that I took off and used on my 18. The dealers do not give you anything for that stuff . Win for me cause if I waited I would have to start all over . I'm also 66 and retired .
The Following User Says Thank You to Saberone For This Useful Post:
Sam Talbot (04-25-2018)
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Easy answer. Buy a clean used Tundra with around 100k miles. It won't break the bank and it'll be very close to what you'd have with a new one. A used Tundra holds its value extremely well so if you want a new one in a couple years, you won't be out a whole lot.

2008 Limited CrewMax 4x4
The Following User Says Thank You to McBrewster For This Useful Post:
TOY33 (04-25-2018)
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Talbot View Post

I don't know. What do you all think? Please tear apart any argument above. I'd love to hear more opinions!

Thanks!
My reason for getting an '18

The draw of a Tundra over the competition (aside from looks) is that it is DEPENDABLE.
No fancy turbos, no cylinder deactivation... Just a straight-up V8 that has been around for YEARS.

So lets say that they refresh in 2021. Is it going to be s rock solid v8? Who knows!!
Will it be dependable? Well, I would NEVER get the 1st year of ANYTHING. They haven't had time to work out the bugs!

So for me it was a no-brainer. Solid V8 on a platform that they have had YEARS to refine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DividedSky For This Useful Post:
Sam Talbot (04-25-2018), TOY33 (04-25-2018)
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:31 PM

This thread makes me feel good about my decision.

And, there will be a guaranteed Magnuson supercharger for it.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Seeing the 2019 redesign Rams makes me think the redesign Tundra will be awesome ! Not a Chrysler fan by any means but the new models look sharp. Hope the new Tundra doesn't adopt the "gear dial". .. I know it saves room but I prefer a shifter over a dial.

2014 4x2 Platinum CrewMax

MGMC #167

Platinum Club Member #14
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
I'm expecting a version of the Toyota car & Lexus "fish mouth" front look to be coming to the trucks.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
A Toyota turbo V6 with 23 hwy mpg and similar or better torque sounds good to me. Basically the more dependable version of an eco-boost, which I probably would have bought if it wasn’t for the aluminum body.

Toyota has dependability and reliability behind it, both the truck itself and the organization. Horror stories of warranty battles and the aluminum body were both issues that put me over the top toward Tundra vs F150 eco-boost.

Also Toyota’s hybrid tech is amazing; I’d love to see what they can do with the Tundra as a hybrid. If towing capability isn’t lowered, mileage is greatly boosted, and the reliability is there I’d look hard at a second or third model year hybrid. I do a lot of city driving but I still need to tow.

Last edited by CoffeeAddict; 04-25-2018 at 09:09 PM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Food for thought...

Interest rates are starting to climb. Material costs are rising. Toyota has pledged that all models will have an all electric or hybrid option by 2025.

The current gen is dated - no doubt. New headlights and lane departure is nice but essentially that is the only difference between the 14-17. If you can find a Ď15 or Ď16 coming off of a lease, Iíd highly consider that (Something that keeps the factory warranty plus buy the extended). It will hold you out to see the next move Toyota makes.

Personally, Iíd never be a first year buyer of a new model for any manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Iíve personally been shopping around for two years for a truck.
I bounced around between the big 3 and Toyota.

A few things that really pushed me towards my decision.
1. The company I used to work for, all the Project managers had Tundras. There were 10-15 of them, all of them had 250-350k miles on them. Other than tires and oil changes, one blew an alternator.
We had 2 year old gmc vans blowing motors with 50k on them.

2. Out of everything I see on the roads here in Wisconsin. Every truck 5-10 years has a ton of rust due to the amount of salt thatís used... except the Toyotaís. All the big 3 are rotting away.
My fathers 2010 ( bought new on clearance in 2011) Silverado 2500 with 40k miles on it blew the ac, transmission was slipping, and his bed was rusting out in the fenders.

3. My best friend lives 15 min away, he has a 2016 ecoboost 2.7.
It will get 23 mpg at 80 which is sweet
But every time he comes to a stop, it shuts off and back on.
Not sure about you guys but the hardest thing on a motor is stop and go and start and stop..
Heís already had the starter replaced once and he doesnít believe me but I told him to run his engine for a min or two before shutting it down every time. Guess who needs new turbos already with 28k miles on his truck :/

Yeah the tech in the tundras May be a touch behind, but consider the tundras the iPhone of the truck world. They may be a few years dated, but theyíre proven to work with less

Personally I only have 600 miles on my 2018 CM limited, but holy cow the led head lights are bright. Highly recommend getting one with them.
The lane sensors are pretty annoying but they turn off.
the adaptive cruise is awesome, till you realize youíre not doing what you set it for because the moron in front of you is doing 10 under.

So far Iím averaging 16.7mpg with mine, which may be low compared to other manufactures but itís also not a small vehicle.

If you can wait till they release the 19ís Iíd say get an 18í then, but if you donít wanna wait, Iíd say you wonít regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to HVACn00b For This Useful Post:
flighht2k5 (04-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Purchasing / Price / Release / Incentives Info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in