Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

VIN Number...

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  OldGuy43 
#1 ·
I got a print-out for a new Tundra that is going to be picked-up by the dealer where I might trade...

Is there a way I can see where this vehicle is coming from by the VIN? Can I find what dealer actually has this truck?...

Thanks...BCB

#3 ·
O.K.

The sales person didn't give me that information. Not sure why. The vehicle might be at a dealer that is pretty close to the one I am dealing with and they might be afraid I would go to the other dealer and try to purchase it there...

Guess I can always ask and I suppose that's what I will do...

Thanks...BCB

#4 ·
O.K.

The sales person didn't give me that information. Not sure why. The vehicle might be at a dealer that is pretty close to the one I am dealing with and they might be afraid I would go to the other dealer and try to purchase it there...
You think?...Car salesmen are typically not geniuses, but they weren't born yesterday either.

You can try this, but in my shopping, I didn't find it as helpful as other sites. Go to Toyota.com, input your zip, build and price the truck you want, then go to the "Shopping Tools" at the bottom of the page, and click "Search Inventory". Theoretically, it should give you all the matches in your area according to some criteria they use, maybe miles distance.

#6 ·
I was at the dealer again this morning finalizing the deal and I asked the sales lady where they were getting the vehicle. She replied, "I have no idea"...

Was she lying or did her bosses not tell her? Who knows and maybe, who really cares?...

I always save the window stickers from all my vehicles so I should be able to know from that when I get the vehicle. Unless they throw it away...

Slimy business the car dealers are...

My father-in-law many many years ago said (and this is a very near direct quote) "There are 2 types of people who are GUARANTEED to go to hell, people who premeditated a murder, and car salesmen". The one I am pretty sure to be true!!!...

Thanks...BCB

#7 ·
I would be very suspicious of the vehicle that you just purchased. Unless they can tell you the name the of the dealer where the truck was first delivered, it could be stolen or even a black market counterfeit truck. You should call the local PD and ask them to check the VIN for you to se if it is legitimate.

Reactions: 1lowlife
#8 ·
I don't think I'm that concerned as we have purchased 8 vehicles from this dealer. I doubt they would destroy their reputation doing something like that...

Guess I'll just wait and see if I get the window sticker...

Really, it's not all that big of a deal, but I am just curious as to where the vehicle came from--How many miles away. But, I guess looking at the odometer when it arrives might be a clue!!!...

Thanks...BCB

#10 ·
"NEVER MIND" as Rosanna Rosannadanna used to say. For those too young, she was on Saturday Night Live in the 70's...

I just got a 'phone call from the dealer and they told me the vehicle is was to purchase was no longer available--Oh Boy...

So, they asked if I would consider a similar vehicle, but it had a sprayed in bed liner, thus a higher price. I just ordered a bed liner today for the new truck I was to get!!!

The dealer would like to know by tomorrow morning if I am interested in the other truck--Urgent you know!!!...

Think I might just step back and punt. I really don't need a new Tundra right away, so a few more weeks/months won't matter. (Refer to my post #6--I maintain what my father-in-law said!!!!)

Thanks...BCB

#16 ·
Bummer - for the record I’ve had good luck googling the vin and figuring out where the cars come from. Plenty of tundras! You’ll find another. Cars.com is your friend. Unfortunately the Toyota website only searches so far from the zip entered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
When I bought my 2014, in December of 2014, my dealer got my truck from another local dealer.
My dealer didn't even have the truck long enough to stick their dealership decal on the truck.
One less decal/emblem/badge I had to remove...:D

#19 · (Edited)
Let me suggest a scenario that might just be true:

(1) You stroll into your local Toyota dealership, and you tell the salesman what you are interested in buying.

(2) The dealer, knowing he has nothing close to what you want, does an area or nationwide search.

(3) Finding THE EXACT "UNIT" that you want in Crick Holler, WV, he contacts the dealer in Crick Holler to say he may have a buyer interested in a Tundra just exactly like the one he has in stock.

(4) The dealer in Crick Holler, WV says," Yeah, I would be interested in $$$ - $$$$ over cost to me."

(5) Your local dealership comes back to you and says, "Yes, we have found the one Tundra that you are interested in at another dealer, and pending a signed deal, we can have it here for you day after tomorrow."

(6) Now the sticky part has to happen without any tangible evidence of your dream truck actually being IN EXISTENCE...getting your autograph on the paper.

(7) Once the deal is signed, your local dealer calls the dealer in Crick Holler, WV, finalizes the deal based on how much he's made off you, and tells him to send it. Now, if some hill hopper comes in and BUYS your dream truck while you were dithering, then your dealer gets told "Sorry, no longer available". THEN, your dealer can't deliver the deal he promised you, and everything is null and void...unless you are stupid enough to wait. You get to start over again.

(8) Dealers do this exchanging of "units" all the time, and have a good handle on what an "exchange" is worth. They may even receive guidance from corporate on reasonable "exchange" prices. If your local dealer can make what he wants out of the deal INCLUDING the "exchange" price, then everyone is happy. Right??!!

Just a little additional info..."units" are seldom driven to the dealer receiving the "exchange". In my experience, they are typically "flat bedded" to the receiving dealer as part of the "exchange" price. There will no clue where this vehicle came from based on mileage...it will be the same as it was in Crick Holler, WV. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.