Thinking of buying a 2015 4x4 tundra TRD - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thinking of buying a 2015 4x4 tundra TRD

I am debating on buying 5.7L 4x4 Tundra double cab. I am in a 2013 Dodge 2500 4x4 long bed w/ cummins now. This is my first diesel and I haven't had the best of luck with it. This truck always seems to be in the shop with some issue. From DEF , rebuilt rear end , and several pinion seals. So this leads me to question , did I make a mistake getting the dodge over a tundra? I do need the pulling abilities of the 3/4ton , but only occasionally not daily, I do need the space of the 8ft bed , I do need dependability which I feel this truck does not have . I like the fuel mileage that I am getting.
So on the Tundra side I feel like I am loosing a lot but gaining as well . I loose my pulling, payload , and bed space . Right now with the cost of diesel vs gas I am loosing in my MPG, if diesel goes back up in price per gal then this could change . What I do gain is the dependability of the tundra , the lack of maintence fees over a diesel ( oil =12 quarts and double fuel filters = 176.00 for both just for the filters ) so every 7k miles with an oil change and every other oil change I change both fuel filters , even though it calls for every oil change. I have the DEF to deal with that's sbout 2.5 gal every 5k miles on average depends what I am pulling. This adds up over time .
Can the Tundra pull as good as Toyota claims ? I was planning on getting a 5th wheel this was the main reason for the 3/4 ton I feel that a 1/2 ton can do the pulling that I need except a 5th wheel and that leaves me only looking at smaller lighter bumper pull trailers .

I think this might be more of a rant but I am looking for opinions from your tundra use based on my situation .

Thanks for any opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey bro, just bought a sr5 2015 5.7. Dc. Had a dc 02 with 150k on it. Passed it down to my son. Senior in high school. My wife has an 04 4 runner. Next year my daughter gets that. Its got 160k. The only thing we have had to do with both is change the tires and brakes. I have owned ford f350 diesel, chevy and dodge. Sorry... none can touch a Toyota. (Reliability wise) go for it! Love my new one. Sad to leave my old one.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You can get the 8ft. bed. I just bought a SR5, 4x4, DC, 8ft bed. I do not stop when the pavement stops. I had a 2012 SR5, DC, 4x4. Only reason I got rid of it was it was hit by a driver coming at me head on but struck me squarely in the drivers side. I walked away from that accident. Totaled the truck. I did not opt for the extra expense of a TRD since my 4 wheeling is limited to exploring in the woods. I do not seek out mud holes. Seems I have read several posts where people have spent the extra money for the TRD and then go on to replace the suspension anyway. So why pay extra if all you are going to do is replace the suspension? The Tundra is built to tow with a built in anti sway system for trailer towing. I had a 2006 DC Dodge Diesel 4x4, long bed 3/4 truck. Personally never had any trouble with it. Considered on this time but, the idea of having to pay for the DEF and the substantial extra cost of the Diesel Engine and the truck was significant. I just could not justify the extra expense. I have not ever had to tow anything larger than what the Tundra could tow. I have towed in the mountains of Georgia, N. Carolina and Tennessee and was fine. I guess it depends on your personal towing needs.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you both . I have an appointment with the dealer today to look and test drive. As far as the 8ft bed tundra I have only seen pictures of if and it just doesn't look right in pictures. Very unproportioned or is that just me? I will try to locate one in person to take a look at if the dealer can get them pretty easy ,
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The 8ft bed is not common. It has a longer wheel base with the rear wheels more toward the back of the box. I would guess it proportionately the same location as the shorter box. I know it will limit my ability to cross serious 4x4 terrain however, I am not a radical 4x4 person. My interest are exploring in the woods and avoiding conditions that will damage the truck. As a result, I am careful about where I go. On the other hand, I do not park my truck when the pavement ends. Don't know if that makes sense to you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
how much weight are you towing... and at what distance?

'14 CM SR5 4x2 5.7L SILVER
20in TOYOTA WHEELS ALLOY W/ BLACK
3M STICKER PROTECTION
275/65r20 NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLERS
LINE X
FLOWMASTERS 40 SERIES DUAL EXHAUST

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
It depends on what you want to do. Decide that first...figure out your requirements and THEN match those to a pickup.

For example: If you require a reliable 1/2 ton truck , the Tundra is probably the best in the reliability category. It is critiqued in other areas such as gas mileage, creature comforts and dated styling/design.

If you need to regularly and comfortably tow anything more than 9-10K lbs, you need at least a 3/4 ton truck, and my preference would be diesel, period. Too bad you chose Dodge...I think GMC's are a smidge better than Dodge in the reliability category but that's always a good debate.

Based on what you described, I am not convinced a Tundra will meet your needs...why go pay more money for something you already know won't meet your needs? At the same time the Dodge isn't meeting your needs because it isn't reliable, BUT the Dodge probably won't cost you 40K to fix either.

Cheers,

Frank

2014, Limited, CM, TRD, 4x4, Sunset Bronze Mica
TRD Supercharger
TRD Sway Bar
BAM 10" Exhaust
NFAB side steps (hate em)
Tonno Pro Lo Roll
Pro Grill w/color match
"Brute Force and Ignorance"

Last edited by crunch527; 07-09-2015 at 08:56 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My wife and I sat down and looked at our pulling needs and yes, I pull more than what I feel a 1/2 ton can do. I pull often 7-8k pounds . I didn't realize the trailer weighed that much once loaded. I drove the tundra anyway to test drive it. I didn't much care for the steering of the truck . It had a lot of over steer in it . I think at this point I am going to have a sit down with dodge and see of they can make things right. If not then will look into that Chevy and possibly ford .
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
See ya in a couple years, good luck.

Life is about choices.........
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe I shouldn't have said that, Toyota is not for everyone. Whichever way you go I hope it works out for you.

Life is about choices.........
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Maybe, maybe not. I just didn't feel comfortable in the new tundra . I liked my 2001 feeling of the truck much better.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-rod View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I just didn't feel comfortable in the new tundra . I liked my 2001 feeling of the truck much better.
I went from a 06 superduty studded, deleted, tuned, to the gas tundra. Heck I like the truck looks wise but he'll we did a 3 hour drive with head winds all the way, it sucked. 9 mpg at best.lots of down shifting, 6" lift 35's on the way back tail wind 14 mpg.
Anyways going from diesel to as will be a hard pill to swallow, stick with your 5.9.

2012 Tundra CM TRD SR5
6" Procomp on 35 12.5
ATX Ledge Toyo MT.
12x5 BaMuffler setup.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I always thought the extra money for the TRD was for the cool stickers?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Put a supercharger on a Tundra and pulling becomes a lot easier along with better mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Purchasing / Price / Release / Incentives Info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in