Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Exhaust flanges rotted away

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  RITundra2008 
#1 · (Edited)
2008 Tundra extended cab 8 foot bed having a rust issue with both exhaust banks. The flanges on my cat pipes on both sides have literally rotted away. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, were you able to weld on a new flange, or did you have to replace both cats?

#2 ·
Yes for whatever season they do rot away pretty fast in states that use salt on the roads like here in NY. My 2014 with just 32000 miles had pretty bad flanges. Ill post a picture later. You would be surprised how bad they are. Im sure an GOOD exhaust shop could just eliminate the flange all together or do pretty much what ever was cost effective or to your liking

#3 ·
I replaced my exhaust from cat back on my 2008 and while I had to grind off the bolts, the flanges were still in pretty decent shape. I suppose the question for you is whatever money you invest in band-aiding the issue would it be more beneficial to do it correctly and replace the cats'? I'm not sure how much either would cost but I am guessing that if the flanges are shot that rust has done a number on the rest of the cats.

#4 ·
I believe just about every manufacturer around has rust issues in Northern states. I've seen Ford's with the entire frame gone in just a few years. Chevy is about second worst. Toyota is better since they had all the issues with the early model Tundras but not much better.

Just have to stay ahead of it. Mine are good but mine very seldom sees any salt.

Either way, like SP said... .cut the flanges off and have a shop weld you something. I wouldn't worry about the cats unless you have to.

#5 ·
Are you sure it's the cat flanges, and not after the cat? Pretty sure the cats are built in without any bolt type flanges...

Assuming you mean further back, like mid cab area, or under the second row on a DC, you can cut them off, and get a piece of pipe welded in fairly inexpensively at most good exhaust shops.

#6 ·
I decided I'm going to fix instead of replace. Cut off what remains of that flanged connection, and simply weld in a new flange so that it will still connect to rest of exhaust in an OEM fashion. Putting on a Flowmaster dual kit at the same time. Should sound awesome when it's all done.

#9 ·
I welded mine in place uding a Harbor Freight wire feed welder - I have the plastic ramps which I put the front end up on- theres amazingly quite a bit of room to maneuver under there. I had to fabricate new flanges - couple hours a piece. I bought the OES muffler on eBay whoch came with new gaskets and the banjo clamp for the tail pipe.