Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Swollen Lug Nuts?!?

17K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Powertechn2 
#1 ·
So, having 85k service done yesterday at dealership. Typically they rotate tires, but this time, they told me they couldn’t do it because all of my lug nuts were “swollen”. They tried taking one off and the lug nut broke? They put another one on but wanted $130 for 20 new lug nuts! Anyone heard of this before? 2015 Platinum 4x, 4” lift and 35’s on stock platinum rims.

#2 ·
The OEM lug nuts have a SS sheet metal wrap around a regular lug nut .

With impacts and even some care ( let alone No care ) , at 5k rotation schedule they WILL get damaged .
I have buggered 2 of my own , doing my own rotations with a specified lug nut only impact socket .

DO NOT get 28$ whole set of ebay chrome lugs , only good for 2-3 on and offs plus they rust.

Purchase OEM off of Ebay ,, OR get Gorrilla Lug Nuts 95$ but WILL LAST and rust resistant ( not forever if you have magChloride and road salt )

good luck sir

#3 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I have a set of those sitting around still, however they only work on specific wheels, and not the plat's 20's. They use the washered lugs instead of just standard conical/conical washered like those.

#9 ·
I have a set of DT lugs, ET version for my aftermarket wheels. No issues with them, spline drive like mentioned above two posts.

They don't see winter, so I can't say as far as how well they hold up. They are not wrapped in steel like the stockers.

I have had them since about 2011... So they hold up.

#10 ·
So many different versions of the gorilla nuts. Trying to narrow down the right ones for the platinum 20” rims. Is the set linked above the actual correct ones? I’m googling now and still seeing mag shank and regular listed as oem replacements..... thanks everyone!

#11 · (Edited)
They are the washered shank type. I know, I have a Plat. They are NOT THE ONES LISTED ABOVE!!!

Those are for the Rock Warrior wheels, and some aftermarket.

The Plat wheels take a lug nut that looks like this. The link may not be the correct one, just looked for a pic.

https://www.myautovaluestore.com/do...MIpZaqo-ip5QIVxsDACh3VKwflEAQYBCABEgLgXvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2020-...UNDRA-14X1-5-ALL-MAG-SEAT-WHEEL-/142371585511

These should be correct as long as the listing is correct for the plat type wheels.

#16 ·
I use my Makita 3/8 cordless impact to get near 90ft/lbs. Then I use a torque wrench to the specified torque spec of 98ft/lbs for my aluminum wheels.

No way am I going to use my 1300ft/lb 1/2" impact and just go 3 dugga's, and hope...

#23 ·
No way am I going to use my 1300ft/lb 1/2" impact and just go 3 dugga's, and hope...
Thats some 1/2" gun !!! lol .

Most good 1/2" impacts are 500-600Ft/lb max range

I use my air impact and a torque stick for my lugs . I know I know torque sticks are not the most accurate thing in the world , and yes i may go to Toyota h ell for it .

Yes i have buggered up one lug nut in 31k .
i am a bad person. lol

#25 ·
It's a bad mofo for sure!

I use it to break 1/2" grade 8 bolts for plow undercarriages regularly, faster than using the hot-wrench. my Ingersoll 1/2" Ti won't break them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.