User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil change help.

Getting ready to change the oil in my 17 5.6L CrewMax. The last 2 time I changed the oil I mad one hell of a mess. How do you keep the oil from hitting the oil pan and spraying out all over the place? I've been changing my own oil for 30 years now and have never seen oil come out of there like it does with the tundra. Is there a different pan for collecting oil I should use? Is there some sort of shield for the passenger wheel? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
You and me both. I hold the pan up high to the drain plug to try and minimize splashing. So much oil comes out so quickly my pan cant even drain into the sump as it fills.

Sent from my Commodore 64 with cassette tape backup.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I've come back to changing my own after many years of taking the vehicles to oil change places. Been doing my own again for about seven years; first on my 2000 Tundra with the 4.7L, and now on my 2015 with the 5.7L.

I agree that the design of the Tundras makes it a messy job. I never was able to get the oil filter off on my 2000 without getting old oil puddling on top of the skid plate and then dripping onto the garage floor/driveway. On my 2015, I had to adjust how I was doing things to make it reasonably efficient and clean.

First, I have a large sheet metal pan I slide under the truck to catch errant drips that don't end up the drain pan.

Second, I use a Fumoto valve on the drain plug, and slip a plastic drain tube over the end of the valve hook to direct the old oil into a drain pan. The Fumoto makes it easy to reach under the truck and begin the draining process. It's a bit slower than pulling the regular plug and letting it flow, but it also doesn't splash all over the place.

Third, I use a MotivX filter drain tool to drain oil from the filter housing before removal.

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
yeah Fomoto valves are a lil bit slower BUT SOOO NICE .

I do not know what size fits the Tundra ( yet) but have ran them on several diesel pickups and ohh yeah they are worth it . .

Perhaps ? The splashing is due to the low viscosity magic oil that is spec'ed ? Dunno , yes it does come shooting out but i have not had a real probl with making a mess so far

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbf View Post
Getting ready to change the oil in my 17 5.6L CrewMax. The last 2 time I changed the oil I mad one hell of a mess. How do you keep the oil from hitting the oil pan and spraying out all over the place? I've been changing my own oil for 30 years now and have never seen oil come out of there like it does with the tundra. Is there a different pan for collecting oil I should use? Is there some sort of shield for the passenger wheel? Any help would be appreciated.
Try using a wide mouth funnel. I use this exact one in the picture and it saves the day. Had the same problem with oil shooting out as if under pressure changing the oil on my truck. Ive always changed the oil on my own vehicles yet the Tundra is the only one where it blasts out. I have the oil stream hit the back of the funnel which directs it downward into the funnels base. The wide mouth and wide exit lets the oil flow straight down at a much slower rate without the funnel overflowing. I can also direct the stream into the pan easier.
Attached Images
File Type: png Funnel.PNG (371.1 KB, 22 views)

2011 Tundra Rock Warrior Crewmax

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
This guy has a good idea. Now where to buy the funnel for the drain pan?

I'm only endorsing the product below because I've used it and it works great.

My next oil change will be messy for the last time; then I'll be replacing the drain plug with the NoSpillSystems drain plug. Then I'll use the drain hose. I had it on my cummins and will absolutely use it on my Tundra.

https://www.nospillsystems.com/

From them:

I’d recommend going with the Compact design plug which is part# 15-12125-01.

Also, the matching drain hose part#s are the CD 2001 (straight) and CD 2003 (90 degree). They don’t automatically come with every plug.

Thank you,
Kaye Bain / Office Support Administration
Toll Free: (888)466-7745 ext 123 Fax: (888)876-7982
[email protected]
www.nospillsystems.com

2016 Tundra 1794
DiamondBack ATV Tonneau Cover
7" BDS Lift
20" Fuel Krank Wheels
37X13.50X20 Toyo Open Country M/T
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoeP View Post
This guy has a good idea. Now where to buy the funnel for the drain pan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcY8...ature=youtu.be

I'm only endorsing the product below because I've used it and it works great.

My next oil change will be messy for the last time; then I'll be replacing the drain plug with the NoSpillSystems drain plug. Then I'll use the drain hose. I had it on my cummins and will absolutely use it on my Tundra.

https://www.nospillsystems.com/

From them:

Iíd recommend going with the Compact design plug which is part# 15-12125-01.

Also, the matching drain hose part#s are the CD 2001 (straight) and CD 2003 (90 degree). They donít automatically come with every plug.

Thank you,
Kaye Bain / Office Support Administration
Toll Free: (888)466-7745 ext 123 Fax: (888)876-7982
[email protected]
www.nospillsystems.com
He still splashed everywhere with that table top looking yellow funnel. You can see him wiping his tire and undercarriage. In the post before yours I put a picture of the funnel I use. Super wide at the opening and wide at the exit. The back is very high and even at full power the oil is deflected into the bottom of the funnel with no splashing. Ive been using this for years after messy splashing and now not a single drop gets anywhere I dont want it to.

2011 Tundra Rock Warrior Crewmax

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
yeah Fomoto valves are a lil bit slower BUT SOOO NICE .

I do not know what size fits the Tundra ( yet) but have ran them on several diesel pickups and ohh yeah they are worth it . .

Perhaps ? The splashing is due to the low viscosity magic oil that is spec'ed ? Dunno , yes it does come shooting out but i have not had a real probl with making a mess so far
I put the Fumoto F103 on my 2015 5.7L.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamRay For This Useful Post:
24hrsparkey (09-06-2019)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanjack View Post
Try using a wide mouth funnel. I use this exact one in the picture and it saves the day. Had the same problem with oil shooting out as if under pressure changing the oil on my truck. Ive always changed the oil on my own vehicles yet the Tundra is the only one where it blasts out. I have the oil stream hit the back of the funnel which directs it downward into the funnels base. The wide mouth and wide exit lets the oil flow straight down at a much slower rate without the funnel overflowing. I can also direct the stream into the pan easier.
Thanks for the info. I ordered that funnel. For $8 how wrong can I go.
The Following User Says Thank You to lbbf For This Useful Post:
MetalMonkey (09-06-2019)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I've only done 1 oil change on my '18 Tundra 5.7L, and didn't have any issues whatsoever.
I dont have a skid plate, so the engine underside is open-access.
I crack open the oil fill cap to vent the crankcase & to ensure oil drains freely.
I use the Motiv-X tool to connect to, & drain, the oil filter housing, first.
My oil catch-pan is a generic larger 10-12 qt size -- it never gets too full .
And, I always place a large 30x60 inch sheet metal drip tray under any vehicle I'm changing oil -- too many things can go wrong otherwise! eg, if I bump or drop the catch-pan when sliding it out from under the truck.

2018 Tundra Crewmax
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use the fumoto valve from this site --> https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/
I also use this for the oil filter --> https://www.motivxtools.com/products...ter-drain-tool

With these two products I am able to drain the oil directly into the containers (milk jugs, 2-liter pop bottles etc.) I take to the local oil disposal site. Zero mess on me or my garage floor and I am able to do the entire oil change in under 20 minutes. I can't say enough about how well these products work and how easy an oil change has become.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
fumoto valve users:

if you don't have a skid plate, is valve protected well-enough that you have no worries of a rock or debris hitting the valve hard enough to break it it off, or cause a leak?

2018 Tundra Crewmax
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
fumoto valve users:

if you don't have a skid plate, is valve protected well-enough that you have no worries of a rock or debris hitting the valve hard enough to break it it off, or cause a leak?
I feel it is protected and I feel the risk is very low with regards to damaging the valve. I removed my skid plate and cut an access hatch to the oil filter but I haven't put the skit plate back on yet and I haven't had any issues.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
fumoto valve users:

The oil drain port on the oil pan is not covered by the factory skid plate on my 2015 TRD 5.7L. The back edge of the skid plate doesn't even come close to covering that oil drain port on the oil pan.

I'm not concerned about the valve being damaged. I'm not an "off roader", getting into tight spots, climbing rough trails, or the like. I do live in a rural area, so farm roads and some mild off road work around the acreage is my usage pattern.

The valve housing is built fairly solid, and uses a ball valve-type mechanism. The tab used to open the valve is locked into the closed position through the use of a plastic clip that slides over the tab and snaps into place.

I might be more concerned about it if I were rock climbing or otherwise regularly bottoming out on trails. But I also think that if one is doing that, then there's risk of far greater damage in addition to snapping off the valve. I think the chance of a puncture in the oil pan is just as great as snapping off that valve.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
I have used those drain valves on several diesel pick ups and snow plow rigs , no issues .
Granted the Tundra does sit lower , but the location of the drain hole is up in there , so barring any extreme Bahja action its going to be fine .

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in