Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Help!! 2017 Tundra Platinum Dead!!

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Aaron713 
#1 ·
Situation: Today 23 Aug 2019 my 2017 Tundra Platinum(17K mi) is died out blue (Drove around town this morning w/o any issues)! Will only start with a jump, but shuts off as soon as jumper cables are disconnected.

Background: Just had my final Toyota Care service performed on 17 Aug 2019 and I added a switch blade key programming to this service appt. When the truck was returned to me my Amp Rails were not functioning. The dealer was clueless and told me to just drive around and they would resset. Also told me that the mechanic had to unplug the OBD plug for my AMP rail from under the dash to program the key. I ended up discovering that he bent one of the connector pins plugging it back in. I straightened out the pin and was back in business.

Assessment: I thought maybe my AMP rails were pulling power, but I've diconnected them completely and I still get the same result. Truck shuts off as soon as it is diconnected from jumper cables.

Reccommendation: I'm clueless! Any ideas?

#4 ·
That's the plan, but I was hoping to drive it there and not have it towed.

#5 ·
Hoping it's as simple as this.

#8 ·
My 17 is bone stock. About 2 months ago I had friends from out of state in town and they wanted to see an alligator. I drove them to our local wildlife area and found a nice alligator for them to look at. When we jumped back in the truck, nothing. The dome lights would come on and go off. The dash lights would flicker and go out. Called a friend and it took a long time to even jump start it. Replace the battery and its been perfect ever since. I have 40k miles so I was on my own.

#9 ·
Took the battery up to Auto Zone this morning. Just got a call that the tried to charge the battery twice and they cannot get it to charge. Going to buy a Duralast Platinum and hope that completely fixes everything. Hoping my alternator is dead too.

#10 ·
Make sure the battery terminal connections are thoroughly cleaned.
Corrosion likes to sit inside the clamp and is hard to see unless you really look for it.

#11 ·
Got the new battery, truck started right up. Drove over to Auto Zone to have the guy do further checks. His meter kept saying "Voltage regulator failed" but he also admitted he wasn't familiar with the truck or the info in was seeing. On my drive home I noticed I was now driving a "Hybrid Tundra" because my Distance to Empty in the gauge cluster said 610 miles.... lol (and its still reflecting over 600).

I also noticed my driver-side window Auto Up/Down was not functioning and the little blue light one the switch was blinking. When I got home I called the dealer I purchased the truck from and the service guy explained how to reset the auto window switch and offered a new "free" battery, but I would have had to go back and get the old battery, put it in the truck and have the truck towed to the other end of town. That just wasn't worth the time to me. So right now everything seems back in order aside from the 600 miles to empty on the dash....lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.