No start issue, any help is greatly appreciated! - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No start issue, any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello,

Im wondering if anyone could help me diagnose a no start issue.

Symptoms. Not starting, haha...she cranks and cranks and cranks but wonít turn over. Iíve tested the battery and even replaced it with a new one just to be safe and nothing. Iíve tried swapping out the key to eliminate the immobilizer, still no start. No check engine light. Checked the fuel pump fuse and replaced the relay, still no start.

I undid the fuel line quick connect line on the drivers side fuel rail. The one closer to the front of the engine not the one that is closer to the fire wall. I tried turning it over and assume that even if itís the return line that fuel would spit out if the pump was pumping but Iím not sure if that thought/reasoning is correct. Is that a correct way of checking fuel delivery? I checked with my local parts store and they said there was no fuel filter for this model which I thought was odd...

Any other ideas on how I could eliminate or test other things? The truck is a 2011 with just under 60k miles on it.

Thanks so much for any help or recommendations!
Joe
T51quicksilver1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:26 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fuel, air, spark.

You have confirmed fuel?

Have you confirmed spark?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
caleb_081 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 220
Thanks: 14
Thanked 60 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Try pulling a plug wire off and place any plug in the wire. Lean the plug on something to ground it and turn the engine over to check spark. If you don't have a spare plug you'll have to pull a plug. If you pull a plug it'll give you a chance to check the condition of it also.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cliffy is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb_081 View Post
Fuel, air, spark.

You have confirmed fuel?

Have you confirmed spark?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
No spark test yet, as I mentioned in my original post I tried to see if I had fuel pressure but Iím not sure if what I did constitutes a valid way of testing fuel pressure. I pulled the fuel line and no fuel spit out or sprayed out so that would tell me no pressure in the line. I left the line unplugged and placed it in a glass jar. Bumped the ignition and let it crank and saw no fuel come out of the rail or line. Again, not sure if thatís a way to tel or am I missing something....?
T51quicksilver1 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
Try pulling a plug wire off and place any plug in the wire. Lean the plug on something to ground it and turn the engine over to check spark. If you don't have a spare plug you'll have to pull a plug. If you pull a plug it'll give you a chance to check the condition of it also.
Iíll have to try that later on today. I was hoping to rule out the fuel first and was hoping to get some recommendations on how to actually try that. If there are more ways then one to check the fuel delivery, be it, fuse, relay pressure, some magic switch only the Toyota gods know of...

Thanks again, Iíll try the spark test when I can get someone to help crank while I watch for spark under the hood. The truck is babied and only has 60k on the clock which is sad if it is in fact a fuel pump or anything major
T51quicksilver1 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)


Been reading for hours now and getting bits and pieces, like thereís a fuel control module. It didnít say where it was located and how to test it and thatís exactly what I was getting at earlier. Had I performed a fuel pressure test and assumed the fuel pump was the issue and replaced it and still have a no start issue due to some other computer or module that is redundant. Trying to avoid that obviously and being new to this platform still learning what other may know like gospel.

Again, any help is great appreciated. Even knowing if my crude fuel pressure test is correct and my assumption by not seeing any fuel spit out after pulling the line is correct would be greatly appreciated. I always thought on fuel injected cars that if you released a line there would be a visible quick spray of fuel due to the pressure that is always in the line?
T51quicksilver1 is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:28 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T51quicksilver1 View Post



Been reading for hours now and getting bits and pieces, like thereís a fuel control module. It didnít say where it was located and how to test it and thatís exactly what I was getting at earlier. Had I performed a fuel pressure test and assumed the fuel pump was the issue and replaced it and still have a no start issue due to some other computer or module that is redundant. Trying to avoid that obviously and being new to this platform still learning what other may know like gospel.



Again, any help is great appreciated. Even knowing if my crude fuel pressure test is correct and my assumption by not seeing any fuel spit out after pulling the line is correct would be greatly appreciated. I always thought on fuel injected cars that if you released a line there would be a visible quick spray of fuel due to the pressure that is always in the line?
Verify that the fuel pump is turning on. You may need a second hand to turn the vehicle to the on position not run. Take off your fuel cap and listen for the pump to prime or make a humming noise when you put it in the on position. The fuel pumps in these trucks have an integrated filter, basically the only way to replace the filter is to replace the pump. A clogged filter has been known to cause no start issues. You should be able to. Disconnect the fuel line at the rail and have someone crank it over and fuel should come out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
caleb_081 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ok, just got home and with better day light looked at the fuse once again, turns out the fuel pump fuse was blown. Mind you this all happened later in the evening last night and I may have pulled the 15amp fuse before the fuel pump slot. Replaced it with one of the spares in the box. Still no start and I canít hear the pump prime when I cycle the key on or even when I try cranking with my ear next to the filler.

As I mentioned in the earlier posts. I did replace the fuel pump relay just to be safe since I didnít know how to test it. I just tried replacing it back with the original relay and still no start and the fuse is still intact and not blowing after 4 attempts at trying to start her.

If thereís a blown fuel pump fuse Iím leading along the lines the pump is fried and shorting out the fuse...? Any chance thatís the problem or could the fuel control module be frying the fuse? Do these trucks usually need fuel pumps replaced with such low mileage?

Thanks again!
T51quicksilver1 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Also, I just ordered one of those obd2 scan tools which will be here tomorrow so Iíll be able to see if thereís anything that pops off hidden in the ecu. Itís one of those cheap ones off amazon for like 50 bucks but it supposedly had good reviews. Weíll see I suppose. Not sure if the fuel pump control module throws codes or faulty pump would throw a code.
T51quicksilver1 is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
 
cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 220
Thanks: 14
Thanked 60 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
I've never heard of a fuel pump going out at 60k but anything is possible. Do you use flex fuel or some additive? With a blown fuse it could be bad pump or wiring short?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cliffy is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
There are only a few things that will keep an engine from starting. If no check engine light is on then it is not likely to be one of the emissions system components and so that shortens the list considerably.

Of the things that can fail completely I would be looking at the coil (spark plug test as already mentioned), fuel check by turning over the engine and catching the output with a container so you know how much fuel is being delivered, and I would check the crank position sensor. The crank position sensor is an electronic device that can begin to fail and result in rough running and the engine stalling and when it fails completely there will be no spark to the plugs and the engine will not start at all. The crank position sensor is were I would start if you have gas in the fuel tank.

Check with the parts department for the factory fuel filter for your truck and you will know what to look for. It is the kind of job that I let the dealer take care off as I do not like laying under a truck and getting gasoline all over myself. I liked having the fuel filter where it could be replaced without going under the truck (the good old days).

Calson is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
I've never heard of a fuel pump going out at 60k but anything is possible. Do you use flex fuel or some additive? With a blown fuse it could be bad pump or wiring short?

Yeah, same thought on a fuel pump failing with such little mileage but I suppose anything is possible. Sometimes it might not even be the the mileage but age. It is a 8 year old truck.... no flex fuel or additives.
T51quicksilver1 is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calson View Post
There are only a few things that will keep an engine from starting. If no check engine light is on then it is not likely to be one of the emissions system components and so that shortens the list considerably.

Of the things that can fail completely I would be looking at the coil (spark plug test as already mentioned), fuel check by turning over the engine and catching the output with a container so you know how much fuel is being delivered, and I would check the crank position sensor. The crank position sensor is an electronic device that can begin to fail and result in rough running and the engine stalling and when it fails completely there will be no spark to the plugs and the engine will not start at all. The crank position sensor is were I would start if you have gas in the fuel tank.

Check with the parts department for the factory fuel filter for your truck and you will know what to look for. It is the kind of job that I let the dealer take care off as I do not like laying under a truck and getting gasoline all over myself. I liked having the fuel filter where it could be replaced without going under the truck (the good old days).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoX4TtYGQh4
That video was for the prior generation Tundra with the 4.7 which has an additional inline filter but it seems like the 5.7 trucks donít have an inline filter, rather a sock/filter on the pickup of the intank fuel pump. Like I mentioned itís definitely a fuel issue as there was no fuel at the rail and a blown fuel pump fuse.
T51quicksilver1 is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ok, hopefully a gracious Toyota tech/guru could chime in here... got some more info to add to the story of woe...

Recap, truck won’t start. She cranks really healthy and the battery is new. The fuel pump fuse was blown. Replaced it with a new one and still no start. The new fuse has not blown after multiple attempts at trying to start it. Something fried the fuse, the question is what? Also tried a new fuel pump relay and nothing.

Today I was able to drop the tank. I pulled the pump and directly wired to a 12v source and the pump ran fine. So I suppose I can rule that out. I had already ordered a new pump which was being overnighted for tomorrow delivery but that doesn’t look like the problem so now what?

I’ve read these things have a fuel control module/ecu. Is there any way to test it before buying a new one and get in the vicious cycle of R&R a bunch of parts and then still not actually fixing the problem. Any other things I can check? Really guys any help would be huge. This is my only means of transportation at the moment and it’s my work truck.

Tia,
Joe
T51quicksilver1 is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 PM
Senior Member
 
cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 220
Thanks: 14
Thanked 60 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
You wired a 12v source directly to the pump it worked. The fuel pump fuse was blown. I'd check wiring. I'm new to the Tundra but you should be able to check fuel pressure at some point on the fuel rail.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cliffy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome