User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Misfire Issue

Hello! I’ve got a 2011 5.7l Rock Warrior with about 88,000 miles. I take excellent care of my truck but have had a random misfire for several months now. About once every 3-4 weeks when I first start the truck in the morning it will idle rough to where I can immediately tell it’s misfiring, and after a few seconds the check engine light will come on. This has been accompanied by the traction control light and 4lo flashing on some occasions. Sometimes if I turn the truck off and on it will idle normally again, other times I’ve had to leave the truck parked for a day or so and when I start it again it idles normally. After it does this a time or two it’ll run completely fine for another several weeks until it happens again.

I have a code reader and get the same code, P303 each time so the misfire is always in cylinder #3 . I swapped ignition coils to see if the misfire moved with the coil and that made no difference. I replaced all the spark plugs and again, this didn’t fix the issue. Finally I replaced the fuel injector for that cylinder and again this did not fix the issue.

I had an appointment last week with my local Toyota dealer to take a look at the truck and they told me to reschedule and come back when their shop foreman was in because with all I had done already they were more or less clueless.

Anyone else have an issue like this? Any help diagnosing what the potential issue could be would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,338 Times in 582 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Next step would be a compression and leak down test

2010 RCSB ([email protected] on NOS) - AWD conversion, Pauter rods, JE 8.5:1 pistons, Ti int & SS exh valves, Ti retainers, 5 angle valve job, P&P heads, TRD SC w/ 50mm pulley, ASP crank pulley, 84mm TB, SABM, IPT VB, JBA LTs, Killer Chiller, 1.25 Gal IC tank, Frozenboost 101 HE, IKH-24 plugs, A1000 FP, 2"/4" Belltech drop, weight reduction, NOS
2008 DCLB (331whp/336wtq) - AWD conversion, IS250 paddle shifters, 12" BP lift + 1" spacer + Toytec 3" shackles + 4" blocks, Airlift bags, 17" MotoMetals with 37x12.5 Coopers + 3" spacers, ARB frt bumper, KC 8" lights, flares, LEER canopy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Might have forgotten to mention but compression was tested the first time the truck was brought in and was fine. No coolant on the plug and coolant level has never gone down. The truck has been at the dealer for the last several days now. They have been telling me they have their most experienced techs working on it and are still having a hard time pin pointing the issue. When it’s hooked up to their computer they can see a misfire in multiple cylinders and it varies from start up to start up as to which cylinders it is. However it’s not enough to cause the engine light to come on while they’ve had it. They think it might be a fuel issue but ran a cleaner through the injectors which hasn’t solved it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,074 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
fuel pressure issue?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Possible, although I would think their computer would indicate if the pressure was low and they’ve made no mention of that. Up here in AK the gasoline quality is less than in the lower 48 however I’ve never had any issues with other vehicles in the past with significantly more miles than this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in