New noise, what do you think it is? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
New noise, what do you think it is?

My truck has about 77k on the clock, and has been making this noise for a few months. I thought it may have been the cold during winter, but it has kept happening through the spring/summer. It only happens at cold startup and once the truck has been idling for a minute or so, then the noise starts and wont go away until the engine is warm.

The truck is in the shop getting an oil change and taking a look at the noise. They are saying idler pulley, and a new belt. I am concerned its a timing chain issue. What are your thoughts?

I just posted the video on youtube, it should be up shortly.

I greatly appreciate the help.

Ryan
2016 CM LTD TRD MGM
5100 Mid Setting w/ 1 Shim
275/70r18 Ridgegrapplers
Firestone Ride Rite's in the rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,317 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Sounds like the primary timing chain tensioner on the driver side.
Remove the oil filler neck (2 10mm bolts) and look down with a flashlight while the noise is happening.
If you see the tensioner plunger rapidly moving in and out, then it is definitely the problem.

2010 RCSB ([email protected] on NOS) - AWD conversion, Pauter rods, JE 8.5:1 pistons, Ti int & SS exh valves, Ti retainers, 5 angle valve job, P&P heads, TRD SC w/ 50mm pulley, ASP crank pulley, 84mm TB, SABM, IPT VB, JBA LTs, Killer Chiller, 1.25 Gal IC tank, Frozenboost 101 HE, IKH-24 plugs, A1000 FP, 2"/4" Belltech drop, weight reduction, NOS
2008 DCLB (331whp/336wtq) - AWD conversion, IS250 paddle shifters, 12" BP lift + 1" spacer + Toytec 3" shackles + 4" blocks, Airlift bags, 17" MotoMetals with 37x12.5 Coopers + 3" spacers, ARB frt bumper, KC 8" lights, flares, LEER canopy
The Following User Says Thank You to ViktorG For This Useful Post:
ACDan (06-28-2019)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Viktor ,, it one lets that go ( im guessing its an expensive fix )

Would the chain slap around and eat other things , or can one just live with the noise.

Sorry if stupid question
Thank you 24hrsparkey

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,317 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
Viktor ,, it one lets that go ( im guessing its an expensive fix )

Would the chain slap around and eat other things , or can one just live with the noise.

Sorry if stupid question
Thank you 24hrsparkey
Book time to replace is around 12-13 hours.
Tensioner + gaskets will be another several hundred bucks.

I've never seen one fail catastrophically, but in theory it could potentially cause the chain to stretch and jump a tooth or the guide to break etc.
I've driven my truck for a year and a half until I fixed it with no problems... very annoying noise though.

2010 RCSB ([email protected] on NOS) - AWD conversion, Pauter rods, JE 8.5:1 pistons, Ti int & SS exh valves, Ti retainers, 5 angle valve job, P&P heads, TRD SC w/ 50mm pulley, ASP crank pulley, 84mm TB, SABM, IPT VB, JBA LTs, Killer Chiller, 1.25 Gal IC tank, Frozenboost 101 HE, IKH-24 plugs, A1000 FP, 2"/4" Belltech drop, weight reduction, NOS
2008 DCLB (331whp/336wtq) - AWD conversion, IS250 paddle shifters, 12" BP lift + 1" spacer + Toytec 3" shackles + 4" blocks, Airlift bags, 17" MotoMetals with 37x12.5 Coopers + 3" spacers, ARB frt bumper, KC 8" lights, flares, LEER canopy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the exact same noise my truck is making. It has been doing this the better part of 1.5 years. Probably 30k-40k miles. I have a 2011 5.7 with 185k miles. I do every recommended maintenance Toyota recommends. It's to the point now that I'm going to have to get it fixed. I took it to Toyota a while back and they had no idea. I honestly think it's the tensioner. Loudest noise is on the driver's side. A local trusted shop quoted me $2k to replace both tensioners, chains, gaskets etc. They are using all oem parts. I'll grab a video and post it tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix it. Need to get another 150k out of her.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:59 PM

Also it only makes that noise first thing in the morning or when the truck is cold. After it warms up no noise, and runs quiet. Very strange.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Thanks for the video , yeah annoying , sounds like a diesel with something slapping around as well.

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:50 AM

Here is a video from this morning. I decided to park the truck until repairs are made. I'm hopeful new tensioners, chains, and guides will fix the noise. I did take of the oil filler tube, and could clearly see the tensioner. When it started to make the noise I removed my rag (oil shoots all over the place), I could see the the tensioner moveonly slightly in and out, and the guide had movement as well. The noise stopped when the tensioner didn't move. I'm going to assume the tensioner is not like a serpentine belt tensioner where some movement is expected. Here's the video. Any thoughts are appreciated.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 12,758 Times in 6,570 Posts
Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Quoted: 5865 Post(s)
That video made me very sleepy.

The noise does sound terrible...

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in